Is it feasible to show actual DTG maintenance on a trade show floor? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

Is it feasible to show actual DTG maintenance on a trade show floor?

Like Tree7Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 8th, 2013 Oct 8, 2013 5:20:27 AM -   #16 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric Deem
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Is it feasible to show actual DTG maintenance on a trade show floor?

Sorry for the off topic post.

Rodney, if you are coming to the SGIA show come by the AA booth and I will show you everything you want to know after show hours. Bring a pen and paper for notes ...you will need it lol.

Last edited by EricDeem; October 8th, 2013 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: grammar

The Following User Says Thank You to EricDeem For This Useful Post:
Rodney (October 8th, 2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2013 Oct 8, 2013 5:47:54 AM -   #17 (permalink)
Sponsor
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: NeoFather Peter
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Thanked 1,469 Times in 1,161 Posts

Default Re: Is it feasible to show actual DTG maintenance on a trade show floor?

I often compare Machine to the car as Eric just did. Near same but not all(leave room to possible attack). Lol.
Buyers need diligent study before open their wallet. TSF 90%, YouTube 8-9%, etc 1%. Same as we do before buying cars.
Most, no all DTG maintenance are 99% same. Aeoon to DIY.
Maintenance is not the killer in DTG business. If anyone stays awake less than 30 minutes they will become a MDM(Master of dtg Maintenance). But good to know. Filters, oils, plugs, wiper( I still don't know how to change mine, lol)--etc.
Killers are
1. Shortage of job. Less use printer will have troubles. Clog. Keep car in garage for months?
2. Pretreat wrong. Washout and bad print. Lose customers. Pretreat chemical got much better by Image Armor these days. Sweet spot Window gets wider. This is plus for us.
3. Choose wrong machines or company.
Mark, in these days starting set up complete will never cost $20k-40k. Include Brother. Still a big bucks but way less than before.
Same as Smart phone market. It is the time price should heading South.
It is good to see Rodney starting thread in DTG area. good thread. I hope TSF members won't hold the words because Rodney is Thread Stater.
Cheers! Beers are on me always.

Last edited by allamerican; October 8th, 2013 at 05:57 AM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allamerican-aeoon For This Useful Post:
german13 (October 8th, 2013), Rodney (October 8th, 2013)
Old October 8th, 2013 Oct 8, 2013 7:18:41 AM -   #18 (permalink)
Sponsor
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: NeoFather Peter
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Thanked 1,469 Times in 1,161 Posts

Feasible Yes, Good for the buyer Yes. will it help sale to exhibitors? That's the question. Since all dtg maintenances are near same. 90% is capping station. If AA does demo maintenance at show time. Others will benefit without time spending because all are near to identical.
All DTG buyer will receive training after pull the trigger. IMHO. $60000/19hours time.
Cheers! Meet us at SGIA.

Last edited by allamerican; October 8th, 2013 at 07:58 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to allamerican-aeoon For This Useful Post:

Old October 8th, 2013 Oct 8, 2013 7:48:12 AM -   #19 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,122 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
Thanks guys. Which specific maintenance procedures are you showing on the floor?

Some of the stuff I see pop up on the forums (there's probably more, but this is what comes to mind):

-flushing the lines?

-replacing printheads?

-replacing dampers?

-cleaning?
If you look at the printers on the market, most manufacturers are incorporating a simplified way to maintain their system into their design. I see Epson has done the same thing with their new printer and as we move forward, I believe other manufacturers will get on board. Although maintenance is not necessarily make or break decision on a machine purchase, it is helpful to have this information at hand. As Kevin mentioned, we will go through maintenance with customers and if they really want us to, we'll walk them through it since it takes only a few minutes to do.

I can flush out our lines and load them back up with ink in about 7 minutes. I'm not sure the 7 minutes is best suited in a booth to display this but again, maybe I'm wrong. We do have videos that when someone asks, we point them to for these types of inquiries. Every situation is different and we take it on a case by case basis.

Dampers and print heads are easy enough to change, but you have to re-prime them after you replace them. It only takes a few minutes to do and again, a video may be best suited for this. We try to tell people not to touch anything on the head unless you absolutely have to. As a matter of fact, we have them locked in place to avoid people's first reaction of pulling a print head. We have customers that have never touched their print head nor would they need to. To show them this type of thing at a show may add confusion to the mix, but again it may be a case by case basis.

You are right though, it is about getting as much information to the end user as possible and this would definitely add to that!

The Following User Says Thank You to JeridHill For This Useful Post:
Old October 8th, 2013 Oct 8, 2013 8:13:45 AM -   #20 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekay317
IMO if you have the money to purchase a $20k printer than why would you use a $100 paint gun to perform one of the most important steps in the process. To me it's like buying a new Mercedes Benz and sitting on milk crates to drive it.
I think that's the point You know that as an experienced machine owner, but when you are new and thinking about starting, all you see at a trade show is shirts being printed. The pretreat process is not usually shown because the shirts have been pretreated before the show.

I agree with the idea of showing more of the overall process at the time of purchase. Even pretreating (especially when the sales staff is saying "just use a Wagner sprayer")

Having a training class to show maintenance afterwards is a great idea, I just wonder if there are people who get to the training class and feel overwhelmed because the maintenance they were shown is beyond what they were expecting.

Old October 8th, 2013 Oct 8, 2013 9:08:46 AM -   #21 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
I think that's the point You know that as an experienced machine owner, but when you are new and thinking about starting, all you see at a trade show is shirts being printed. The pretreat process is not usually shown because the shirts have been pretreated before the show.

I agree with the idea of showing more of the overall process at the time of purchase. Even pretreating (especially when the sales staff is saying "just use a Wagner sprayer")

Having a training class to show maintenance afterwards is a great idea, I just wonder if there are people who get to the training class and feel overwhelmed because the maintenance they were shown is beyond what they were expecting.
I have a lot of people come to my shop for a quick overview of the machine and maintenance procedures before going to training at AA. It is a LOT to grasp in 2 short days (especially when distracted by the smell of yummy cheese steaks - mmmm WizWit). Coming to my shop or anyone's for that matter outside of the sales office or manufacturers building is hugely beneficial as you get a real sense of the workflow and can have a good base to start with prior to jumping head first into the training.

The Following User Says Thank You to EricDeem For This Useful Post:
Old October 8th, 2013 Oct 8, 2013 9:41:49 AM -   #22 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,073 Times in 920 Posts

Quote:

At every trade show we do I am always struck by how many people come to our booth, after getting demonstrations at some other sellers, and are surprised to hear that they need to pretreat garments in order to print white ink. The comment often made is - they were shown how the other printers worked, had dark shirts printed on them, and at no time during the entire presentation did the salesman ever bring up pretreatment.

So I absolutely agree with you that it is important to go over the "entire" production process with any potential buyer.
_
dazzabling likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to equipmentzone For This Useful Post:
Old October 8th, 2013 Oct 8, 2013 4:29:59 PM -   #23 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: C
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Another thing is experience, I am sure that I can replace parts much faster due to my experience. If you have someone experienced doing maintenance its going to look easy until you have to do it yourself, which can be deceiving.

This same theory goes for pretreat, using a spray gun you have so many variables with consistency. I guarantee, every distributor has come to a show with a "bad batch" of pretreated shirts. It doesn't mean that the person doesn't know how to pretreat but you don't know until you print and press. Its a gamble, pretreat goes bad, parts go bad and its just a part of DTG as with any print method.

As mentioned before, technology is evolving and these processes and procedures are improving. So as time goes on, we may be seeing more of what the printer can do instead of what it can't.

Old October 8th, 2013 Oct 8, 2013 4:38:13 PM -   #24 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: C
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Having pretreated shirts ahead of time is not only easier but it's less messy especially when demonstrating with a Wagner sprayer. Pretreat is sticky and goes everywhere especially with fans or air conditioning running. During a show, it wouldn't be wise and don't think allowed on the sales floor. I don't know for sure, but having pretreat in a contained area I wouldn't ever expect it on a sales floor except for in a pretreat machine.

Old October 8th, 2013 Oct 8, 2013 4:42:50 PM -   #25 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Having pretreated shirts ahead of time is not only easier but it's less messy especially when demonstrating with a Wagner sprayer.
I'm sure it's easier for the exhibitor (that's why they do it ).

I'm just trying to think of ways of better educating buyers before the sale on some of the "non glamorous" parts of the DTG printing process to maybe avoid some of those disgruntled forum posts later down the line.

Quote:
During a show, it wouldn't be wise and don't think allowed on the sales floor.
There should be some way to contain that environment. I've seen some pretty creative things on trade show floors

Old October 8th, 2013 Oct 8, 2013 5:32:23 PM -   #26 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I've seen many pretreat machines in action on the show floor but I haven't seen anyone use a Wagner.

Old October 8th, 2013 Oct 8, 2013 6:04:33 PM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Kevin
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I HAVE used a Wagner at a couple of shows...behind the scenes of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to kevrokr For This Useful Post:
Old October 8th, 2013 Oct 8, 2013 6:06:33 PM -   #28 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

...nevermind the man behind the curtain....
dazzabling likes this.

Old October 8th, 2013 Oct 8, 2013 9:52:55 PM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Kevin
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

...You make it seem so sinister...
EricDeem likes this.

Old October 9th, 2013 Oct 9, 2013 7:30:44 AM -   #30 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,073 Times in 920 Posts

Quote:
I'm sure it's easier for the exhibitor (that's why they do it ).

I'm just trying to think of ways of better educating buyers before the sale on some of the "non glamorous" parts of the DTG printing process to maybe avoid some of those disgruntled forum posts later down the line.

There should be some way to contain that environment. I've seen some pretty creative things on trade show floors

The problem is the floor space required. All exhibitors pay a large amount of money for every square foot of their booth. So devoting a corner of a booth just for that can be very expensive. I agree with you that it would be nice to demonstrate spraying the pretreat by hand. Perhaps the easiest way at a show is to have a video of the process playing on a monitor.
_
dazzabling likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to equipmentzone For This Useful Post:
Rodney (October 9th, 2013)

This is a discussion about Is it feasible to show actual DTG maintenance on a trade show floor? that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in