[DTG Pretreatment] Drying after Pre-treat - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

[DTG Pretreatment] Drying after Pre-treat

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 14th, 2013 Jun 14, 2013 10:11:25 AM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Bill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Drying after Pre-treat

I pretreat, heat press and print, no drying at all and have never had a problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2013 Jun 16, 2013 7:15:06 PM -   #17 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,071 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtLawless
I pretreat, heat press and print, no drying at all and have never had a problem.

For maximum production output, I think the majority of direct to garment users use this method.

_

Old June 16th, 2013 Jun 16, 2013 9:58:50 PM -   #18 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Thanked 1,261 Times in 1,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by equipmentzone
Always keep in mind that you can pretreat garments right before you print, or an hour before, a day before, a week before, or a month before.

_
We had a couple is shirts that sat for 4 years after pretreatment and they printed perfect

Old June 17th, 2013 Jun 17, 2013 3:39:38 AM -   #19 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
We had a couple is shirts that sat for 4 years after pretreatment and they printed perfect

You may hold the record on that. We've had many pretreated shirt that sat in our trade show display crates for 3 months and printed with no problem. I would imagine most people would use any pretreated shirts within a month or so and not have it tied up in inventory sitting on a shelf.

_

Old June 17th, 2013 Jun 17, 2013 6:45:40 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Chuck
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
That beats my record by a bunch. I have had shirts that are pretreated as part of a shelf life test for over a year now. 4 years is an awesome shelf life.

Old June 17th, 2013 Jun 17, 2013 7:21:19 AM -   #21 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Brian
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

I really need to switch to a pretreating day. How did you store your pretreated garments? Just a simple fold, stack and toss in a bin or crate?

I figure the added efficiency of pretreating 300 garments in a day and having them ready would offset any storage costs pretty quickly. We have a lot of walk-ins who want a shirt in 20 minutes or less (at twice the price, naturally), and I hate pretreating.

Old June 17th, 2013 Jun 17, 2013 7:31:31 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
It is very important to remember to heat press any previously pretreated garments before you print them.

You do want to make sure the fibers are flattened.

_
No matter what printer, shirt, pretreat method, or drying method you use, heat pressing the shirt right before you print will help you achieve a much better print.

Old June 17th, 2013 Jun 17, 2013 7:35:18 AM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

As soon as the shirts are dry we fold them in batches of 12 by size, and put them in boxes. As part of a shelf life test I have had shirts in boxes ready for use for over a year. I read a post earlier today and someone has used shirts they pretreated up to 4 years ago. We pull a shirt that has been pretreated in advance and stored, we heat press it to flatten fibers and remove any moisture from humidity and we are good to go.

Old June 17th, 2013 Jun 17, 2013 7:38:31 AM -   #24 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedigiguy
As soon as the shirts are dry we fold them in batches of 12 by size, and put them in boxes. As part of a shelf life test I have had shirts in boxes ready for use for over a year. I read a post earlier today and someone has used shirts they pretreated up to 4 years ago. We pull a shirt that has been pretreated in advance and stored, we heat press it to flatten fibers and remove any moisture from humidity and we are good to go.

Quite true. Any shirt that was pretreated earlier should be heat pressed for a few seconds before printing.

_

Old June 17th, 2013 Jun 17, 2013 5:47:52 PM -   #25 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Thanked 1,261 Times in 1,031 Posts

Quote:
You may hold the record on that. We've had many pretreated shirt that sat in our trade show display crates for 3 months and printed with no problem. I would imagine most people would use any pretreated shirts within a month or so and not have it tied up in inventory sitting on a shelf.

_
We did the pretreat for a design someone wanted and they backed out. The shirts sat around forgotten until we moved and found them. One day someone ordered that size for a dtg shirt and it worked.

Old June 29th, 2013 Jun 29, 2013 12:26:18 PM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dean

Great info guys thanks. How should I go about pre-treating both sides of the shirt?

Old June 29th, 2013 Jun 29, 2013 8:16:18 PM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

When I need a shirt other than black, we pretreat one side, make sure its completly dry, then press and pretreat the other side. When both sides are dry we put it back on the press then print. When you print on the front and then heat press you will push some of the moisture into the back of the shirt. When you press the back prior to printing you may need to pre press just a little longer to remove the excess moisture and flatten fibers.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedigiguy For This Useful Post:
gr8image (July 2nd, 2013)
Old July 2nd, 2013 Jul 2, 2013 10:17:05 AM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedigiguy
When I need a shirt other than black, we pretreat one side, make sure its completly dry, then press and pretreat the other side. When both sides are dry we put it back on the press then print. When you print on the front and then heat press you will push some of the moisture into the back of the shirt. When you press the back prior to printing you may need to pre press just a little longer to remove the excess moisture and flatten fibers.
Thanks for the info. Then what do you do if the shirt is black?

Old July 2nd, 2013 Jul 2, 2013 11:30:46 AM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

If the shirt is black, try the DTG Ready shirts. They are fully treated all over the garment, inside and out and come ready to go out of the box.

All you do is pull one out, press to flatten and print.

We've used these at shows, during trainings, etc and have recieved great feedback from customers that have tried them.

www.dtgready.com

Hope this helps

Old July 2nd, 2013 Jul 2, 2013 3:00:40 PM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl T
If the shirt is black, try the DTG Ready shirts. They are fully treated all over the garment, inside and out and come ready to go out of the box.

All you do is pull one out, press to flatten and print.

We've used these at shows, during trainings, etc and have recieved great feedback from customers that have tried them.

www.dtgready.com

Hope this helps
I would but shipping and duty will make it to expensive for me.

This is a discussion about Drying after Pre-treat that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in