Looking for good beginner DTG printer - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

Looking for good beginner DTG printer

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 13th, 2007 Jun 13, 2007 8:17:10 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: feri
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Looking for good beginner DTG printer

Hello,
I am looking for some good and cheap DTG printer, something perfect for beginners. I have saw some products on the web like the KIOSK, the T-jet3 (unfortunately i cant find any suggestions on this one). Also the Brother machine is not bad but the white only doesnt suite me i need something to print both on black and light colors. I saw here on the forum a good review for the flexi jet, but really if not used any of these printers its hard to tell the differences and the bad sides. So please give me an advise which is the best value to price DTG printer on the market now (or is planned to start selling soon) for beginners which prints both on black and light colors and on some other surfaces as well not only cotton like plastic (pens, plastic surfaces and so on). Thanks a lot!

Please include URLs in your post to the products sites because there are different resellers and so on...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2007 Jun 13, 2007 8:31:05 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Lumberjack

Default Re: Looking for good beginner DTG printer

t-jet is bad news. cafe press uses Kornit dtg but they run 78-200K

Old June 13th, 2007 Jun 13, 2007 8:55:35 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Well i dont thing kornit is good for beginners as price is 100000$ - 200000$
i am looking for rather smaller stuff

Old June 13th, 2007 Jun 13, 2007 9:43:10 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferisoft
Hello,
I am looking for some good and cheap DTG printer, something perfect for beginners. I have saw some products on the web like the KIOSK, the T-jet3 (unfortunately i cant find any suggestions on this one). Also the Brother machine is not bad but the white only doesnt suite me i need something to print both on black and light colors. I saw here on the forum a good review for the flexi jet, but really if not used any of these printers its hard to tell the differences and the bad sides. So please give me an advise which is the best value to price DTG printer on the market now (or is planned to start selling soon) for beginners which prints both on black and light colors and on some other surfaces as well not only cotton like plastic (pens, plastic surfaces and so on). Thanks a lot!

Please include URLs in your post to the products sites because there are different resellers and so on...
HI,
I am new to this forum! We are going to look at the Anajet, which looks like a good little machine, and the feedback I got from this forum on it was pretty positive, but not a lot. Are there more users of the Anajet out there? Would love to see how you like it.
Mieke

Old June 13th, 2007 Jun 13, 2007 10:44:50 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Kris

I use a T-jet2 myself and I think that is a fine machine for a beginner. If you are anticipating high quantities on a daily basis however, then you will need a machine that can handle higher production. In the under 20K price range, if I were looking today I would look at the T-jet3 or the Flexi-Jet. While the Kiosk is very similar to the T-jet2, I don't think I would go with a T-jet2 again with the other options out there. I have only seen the Anajet at the LB show back in January and wasn't impressed at all... could have just been that booth that was there though.

Old June 13th, 2007 Jun 13, 2007 10:52:46 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Flexi jet and tjet3 seem identical but flexi is only offered for US clients and i am not . So now i am in doubt between:

Fast T-Jet Package Prices - this pro package at 17k $

and maybe the KIOSK - The DTG Kiosk Inkjet Printer (i have now requested prices and specs on email because adobe reader crashed AGAIN)

If someone has used any of the 2 or in the best case both of them can you tell me the differences the costs for ink and so on please. Productivity is also an issue. Basically everything i should know for both of these machines before going to buy any. Thanks!

Old June 13th, 2007 Jun 13, 2007 11:01:51 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChameleonPrints
I use a T-jet2 myself and I think that is a fine machine for a beginner. If you are anticipating high quantities on a daily basis however, then you will need a machine that can handle higher production. In the under 20K price range, if I were looking today I would look at the T-jet3 or the Flexi-Jet. While the Kiosk is very similar to the T-jet2, I don't think I would go with a T-jet2 again with the other options out there. I have only seen the Anajet at the LB show back in January and wasn't impressed at all... could have just been that booth that was there though.
We're going tomorrow to the open house... I have never seen it work yet!
I liked the Tjet originally, and almost bought one, but then heard of a lot of problems with it...
I am still a little hesitant about the whole concept though.

Old June 13th, 2007 Jun 13, 2007 3:37:15 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Ken

We have the Digital kiosk. We are white only, havent done the white ink upgrade yet (but the upgrade is available). We have been letting the white ink issues get sorted out before we take that step.

So far.... It does what is advertised. I regularly print photos on t's with no problem at all. It works exactly as your regular computer printer (software wise). You just select the DTG as the printer instead of your inkjet or laser...and print. I have had only a couple of problems. The first being a clogged print head. The solution to that is simple. Just run a head cleaning once a day and it is fine. It does not even require a computer to be hooked to it for the cleaning. The other problem is a pump issue.... but that appears as though it will be easily solved. I dont believe any of the smaller systems are for large runs. While they advertise up to 60 per hr...dont count on it. I would say a typical shirt takes 3-5 mins each.

The DTG is well suited for 1 of a kind and small volume runs. I have run as many as 80 shirts of 1 design, for a church group. You get into that range, you are better off trying to reduce the number of colors and getting transfers made.

I have ours listed in the classifieds here..... but I am considering taking it back off. Vacation Bible school seems to be keeping it pretty busy lately. If that holds up... I will definitely keep it.

I have no experience with the other machines, so cant speak to how good they are.

Old June 13th, 2007 Jun 13, 2007 4:14:39 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Chris

for a beginner that has no customer base yet I would suggest getting a base model machine (maybe even a refurb) that only prints on lights (this will save you a lot of headache while getting accustom to the machine), once you master that you can always get a white ink upgrade that will enable you to print on dark shirts.

I have a T-jet2 and couldn't be happier but you will have to see what machine fits your business plan

Old June 14th, 2007 Jun 14, 2007 6:18:27 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Well i am looking now into T-jet3 as it seems more established on the market but i hear some awful feedback as well. Can you give me more explanation on problems that might occur with it.

Old June 16th, 2007 Jun 16, 2007 4:13:19 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Well i am looking now into T-jet3 as it seems more established on the market but i hear some awful feedback as well. Can you give me more explanation on problems that might occur with it.
Ferisoft, what is your EXACT budget you are working with? If its a price point, you may already have your answer. If it is not, there are a lot of options available to you.

Old June 16th, 2007 Jun 16, 2007 4:18:52 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Fast T-Jet Package Prices - this pro package at 17k $ and maybe the KIOSK - The DTG Kiosk Inkjet Printer (i have now requested prices and specs on email because adobe reader crashed AGAIN) If someone has used any of the 2 or in the best case both of them can you tell me the differences the costs for ink and so on please.
They are both built upon the same engine, MASTERMIND. The only difference that is apparent, is the support. Don (SWF East, DTG Kiosk you are referring to) appears to be much more cogniscant (sp?) to his user base and support needs.

This is only a personal observation. However, it is factually built upon the mastermind infrastructure just like the TJet. Are there subtle differences? You would need to ask Don, but it is a MasterMind printer like the TJet.

Many people appear to be awaiting the DTG HM1, myself as well.

Old June 16th, 2007 Jun 16, 2007 4:24:35 AM -   #13 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,122 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
Flexi jet and tjet3 seem identical but flexi is only offered for US clients and i am not
These 2 printers are nothing alike, just for your info.

The Tjet3 is a new printer and it's based on the R1800 which is a 13" printer retailing for $550. The Flexijet is based on a 4800, 17" printer that retails for around $2000. Not only that, but the Flexijet moves over the substrate or shirt in this case, whereas the shirt board moves into the Tjet3.

The Flexijet has been on the market for over a year whereas the Tjet3 has been on the market only a few months.

Just thought you might like to know that.....
gatorGRAFIX likes this.

Old June 16th, 2007 Jun 16, 2007 8:44:08 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Kris

That was true with the T-jet2 and the Kiosk being the same machine by Mastermind... but the T-jet3 is not the same machine nor is it anything like the DTG Kiosk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGraphics
They are both built upon the same engine, MASTERMIND. The only difference that is apparent, is the support. Don (SWF East, DTG Kiosk you are referring to) appears to be much more cogniscant (sp?) to his user base and support needs.

This is only a personal observation. However, it is factually built upon the mastermind infrastructure just like the TJet. Are there subtle differences? You would need to ask Don, but it is a MasterMind printer like the TJet.

Many people appear to be awaiting the DTG HM1, myself as well.

Old June 16th, 2007 Jun 16, 2007 3:03:14 PM -   #15 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Justin
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

I might be wrong, but I heard as well that the newest incarnations of T-Jet products were not made by Mastermind anymore... If anyone has anything to add, I would be interested in hearing it.

This is a discussion about Looking for good beginner DTG printer that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in