Veloci-Jet XL or Spectra-Pro? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

Veloci-Jet XL or Spectra-Pro?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 21st, 2012 Dec 21, 2012 6:49:41 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Ray
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Veloci-Jet XL or Spectra-Pro?

Ok, looking for some honest answers.
I am waiting for the bank to reply, but in the mean time, I have quotes on these two DTG Printers. Veloci-Jet XL and Spectra Pro. To me they look like the same machine with some minor cosmetic differences. One sales rep says they are the same, the other says they are not and that his company manufactures their unit. Price wise, they are basically the same price, however that includes my Fast-TJet in trade for the one company and not the other.

I would prefer not to mention the companies. But both are fairly local and East Coast.

If you have looked into these units please provide your thoughts.

I must have white ink capabilities due to the t-shirt line we are getting ready to release. My Fast T-jet needs some TLC and with production coming online, I would rather get a new, under warranty unit. Space is a major concern, which led me to these two units.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2012 Dec 21, 2012 7:47:01 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Veloci-Jet XL or Spectra-Pro?

I just bought the Spectra Pro, it's wonderful and support is wonderful; Jay always picks up. The printer is built like a tank and is substantially cheaper. You could get the Spectra Pro with a pretreater for the price of a VelociJet XL, sell your Tjet on Ebay and you get the best result.

Old December 21st, 2012 Dec 21, 2012 7:48:13 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,052 Posts

Both rebranded made by this company Flatbed Inkjet | Flatbed Inkjet Printers | Direct Color Systems

you can find all the info your looking for by searching the forum here by endusers (veloci-jet xl) I think the spectra-pro is a fairly new rebrand..

the main thing i would look at is the epson printer its based on! last i recall its an r1900 base printer.. the r1900 never had good reset ink chips meaning the 8 channels or individual ink cart has to be reset individually based on the epson firmware counter (these are small carts) regardless if a bulk system is added you will have to reset the given ink count per cart based on epson firmware and when resetting individual carts this = frequent resets and alot of waste ink!! other epson model bases reset all 8 channels at once = fewer resets and less waste ink!! do your homework to find the basemodel epson and talk to other endusers regarding, the basemodel epson could be changed now! not sure?!!

Old December 21st, 2012 Dec 21, 2012 7:53:06 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

While it is Epson based, its a hybrid of two epson printers. Can't remember which was the other one (apart from the R1900.

Old December 21st, 2012 Dec 21, 2012 7:59:29 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

while it is the R1900, it has a decoder built in, that is accessible just above the exterior control panel.

Old December 21st, 2012 Dec 21, 2012 8:00:49 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsanz
while it is the R1900, it has a decoder built in, that is accessible just above the exterior control panel.
thats good!! not all of them have the decoder.. the decoder resets all the carts to full at once, like most regular chipsets do for other epson base models.. difference is if a decoder goes bad your looking at 3-400 dollars not sure on the retail.. a chipset is 25.00 bucks and simplier to install!! are you sure its a decoder? and not external chips? the one i see on ebay has the chip reset in the carriage.. zoom over the carriage on the ebay pic and you can see its a chipset! so you must have something different? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SPECTRA-...-/121021565767

Last edited by german13; December 21st, 2012 at 08:09 PM..

Old December 21st, 2012 Dec 21, 2012 8:09:49 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

no, its absolutely a decoder, outside of the carriage, about the control panel.

Old December 21st, 2012 Dec 21, 2012 8:47:36 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
no, its absolutely a decoder, outside of the carriage, about the control panel.
must be an option? did you look at the one on ebay? it clearly has the chipset in the carriage if you zoom over the pic.. this is something the op needs to be sure on (make sure you have a decoder for a 1900) keep in mind the 1900 is a discountinued model epson printer, hybrid or not its using a 1900 epson mainboard/boards and supply is dependant on epson!!

Old December 21st, 2012 Dec 21, 2012 9:29:16 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

It uses parts from the 2880 and 1900, if I am not mistaken.

The Following User Says Thank You to kevinsanz For This Useful Post:
german13 (December 21st, 2012)
Old December 21st, 2012 Dec 21, 2012 10:25:55 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
It uses parts from the 2880 and 1900, if I am not mistaken.
all the current epson a3/8channel models use pretty much the same print engine frame, sensors, etc.. the boards its using is what tells you the truth and the difference!! 1900 boards is a 1900 printer.. If the printer is discountinued they can no longer purchase the 1900 printer, however they can purchase any other a3 in production and just switch out the epson boards which are still avail as parts, in this case there added electronics are built on the r1900 function... If its using 1900 boards its most likely the additional electronics are designed around this model, otherwise it would be better using the whole 2880 as its in production... obtaining printheads could play into the equation aswell, printheads are available via epson on models out of warranty with a serial # usually 1 year after printer purchase on stock printer otherwise in the warranty period they replace the printer (based on past experience)... If you look at the ad/descriptions for other brand printers the dealer sells they list the epson base model its based on and use this as a selling point of a "new in production printer based on R(xxxx)" and down play other discountinued epson base models that are discountinued, however this one doesnt have the base model listed in the same fashion as a selling point incentive?? I would ask what epson board is driving it 1900, etc? If you have a decoder most likely a r1900 as this is not needed on the current in production r2880 or r2000 they have inkchips that do the same as the decoder.. good way to find out is see what the epson status monitor says it is or check the epson mainboard part #

Old December 22nd, 2012 Dec 22, 2012 10:01:37 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Ray, I am loving my Spectra Pro. I am still working out all the kinks, but I am new to DTG. Do you have any specific questions about the machine?

Old December 22nd, 2012 Dec 22, 2012 4:04:38 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I think my main question is going to be about support. Where will you get repairs if/when they are needed?

Old December 22nd, 2012 Dec 22, 2012 4:08:18 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Jay has a tech in NJ and in CA, they will carry out repairs. Jay has been amazing thus far.

Old December 22nd, 2012 Dec 22, 2012 4:19:48 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Does the tech come on-site or do you have to take/ship the equipment to him? I am in PA, so NJ is not a problem.

Old December 22nd, 2012 Dec 22, 2012 4:21:54 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

His tech would fly out for the set up, and I am not sure about future repairs. I think it would have to be sent to the factory in Connecticut, I think it takes like a week.

This is a discussion about Veloci-Jet XL or Spectra-Pro? that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in