What is the Best DTG Printer? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

What is the Best DTG Printer?

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 12th, 2007 May 12, 2007 9:35:34 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb What is the Best DTG Printer?

Hi, I am planning to set up shop and I was wondering which DTG Printer is the best or which offers better value-for-money?

Also, what are the pros and cons of a DTG Printer compared to a screen printing one?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2007 May 12, 2007 12:31:21 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Default Re: What is the Best DTG Printer?

That's a loaded question. Need more information on what type of shirts (darks, lights only) you want to do, your budget restrictions, how technical the person running the machine is going to be, how much space do you have, are you going to want to take it to events, where are you located (some machines are not available world-wide) and several other questions.

If you search this forum, you will hear the good, the bad and the ugly for just about every machine out there. You might also want to check out Digital and Screen Printing University On-Line Forums for Digital Garment Printing, Screen Printing, Embroidery, and more.. Whatever you do, don't underestimate the support side of the machine. This is a new technology and growing pains are to be expected.

Pros of DTG
- Can print full digital pictures that can't be done by screen printing.
- Takes up less space
- Made for short-runs and one-offs
- No need to burn screens, no real setup time and no reclaiming screens with chemicals

Cons of DTG
- Can't do high denisty or 3D printing
- It is hard to do a print on a dark color shirt and get the white ink to stay on the shirt after a couple of washings. (Look at the posts that talk about pretreatment and white ink for more details)
- Not made for doing production runs or large orders as it is too time consuming

This should be a good start for you and your research. Hopefully others will reply once you tell us more about what types of things you want to do. Best wishes.

Mark
timothyvan likes this.

Old May 12th, 2007 May 12, 2007 11:11:56 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGuide
Pros of DTG
- Can print full digital pictures that can't be done by screen printing.
I'm yet to see any type of printing a DTG can do that can't be done with screenprinting (except possibly things like golfball printing - I'm not sure how well those could be screenprinted). It's just a question of practicality, at which DTG can easily prove superior. But it can be done either way if you can invest enough into it (so the question is if not can/can't).

altawelch likes this.

Old May 13th, 2007 May 13, 2007 12:18:01 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: James

What's your price range?

Old May 13th, 2007 May 13, 2007 6:55:06 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Hahaha..Goes to show how much I know

My price range is between $15,000 - $18,000, and since I will be the one to operate it (I am a novice in shirt printing) it would have to be something that is easy to use. Also, it would have to print on both light and dark materials.

Any DTG Printer which fits the above description?

Old May 13th, 2007 May 13, 2007 9:02:30 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: James

There are two that I can think of, T-Jet 3 and DTG Kios. The definition of easy varies from people to people. You'll need a lot of practice and some computer knowledge to tweak the settings and do maintenance on the printer.

Old May 13th, 2007 May 13, 2007 9:07:49 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tom

dmt,

I hope you know what you are asking for with that list

You can find most of the current DTG type printers in the catagory of pricing you have set. As far as light and dark shirts it really depends on what you consider easy to operate. There are more than a few that would tell you that dark shirt printing is not a process you pick up in an afternoon. There are so many variables I would advise you to request your dealer or whoever you are dealing with do a proper and thorough demo so you can see every step of the process in person. A great video of every step would be great if you can find one.

There are some differences between all the players so do your homework and see how much detailed info is available for you and what media you can find about the different units and do the numbers yourself. All the machines have positives and negatives. There is more than one way to get into the DTG type printing end of the business.

There will be quite a few things arrive to market between now and SGIA so if you have the time to wait and see it might be worth it to you in the end.

The most important question at this point is "What do you plan on for your business model for using this printer?"

Enjoy the process and feel free to contact me if you need more details on anything.

Tom

Old May 13th, 2007 May 13, 2007 9:56:32 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Also, make sure the company you are buying from offers free training with the purchase. You will need to learn the whole process, preferably on the printer you will be buying.

Check their service as well, look on the forum or ask what the companies technical backup is like. Don't rush into a purchase.

Old May 15th, 2007 May 15, 2007 5:50:37 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

I've been asking around, and everyone (mostly anyway) has been telling me to get a T-Jet 3..I checked it out myself and it seems pretty nice.

What are your comments on this machine?

Old May 15th, 2007 May 15, 2007 7:28:08 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Chris

its a newer machine so it might have some initial quarks but I used one and it worked very well, layed down a ton of white(four channels) and was very fast compared to my t-jet2, you can also get the t-jet3 factory which is one machine with just white and one with all color.

Old May 15th, 2007 May 15, 2007 7:33:51 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Adam
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solmu
I'm yet to see any type of printing a DTG can do that can't be done with screenprinting (except possibly things like golfball printing - I'm not sure how well those could be screenprinted). It's just a question of practicality, at which DTG can easily prove superior. But it can be done either way if you can invest enough into it (so the question is if not can/can't).
Lewis, can you find a screen that can kind of bend or fold over the ball and maybe use some type of flexible squeegee?

Old May 15th, 2007 May 15, 2007 8:50:00 AM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Not that it is all that relevant to golf balls or it has a large market, but have you seen a Direct-to-Football printer before? Check out this link - Screenprinting and Digital Garment Printing University. It comes from the same manufacturer of the Flexi-Jet.

Old May 16th, 2007 May 16, 2007 5:54:18 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTomahawk
Lewis, can you find a screen that can kind of bend or fold over the ball and maybe use some type of flexible squeegee?
Skateboard and hat printing is done along those lines, and there must have been some way of doing it before DTG (though that might have been something like pad printing or dye sublimation), but I certainly don't plan on finding out Sounds like a loooot of effort. I doubt I'll ever need to do golf balls, but if I do I'll go straight to my local DTG printer. Even a diehard like me just wouldn't try screenprinting some things

Old May 17th, 2007 May 17, 2007 1:16:39 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

I'm really new at this and I just realized that I have to learn so much stuff hahaha..

Anyway, how come no one talks about the new T-Jet Blazer that much compared to T-Jet 3? I've checked it out and it looks okay too.

Old May 17th, 2007 May 17, 2007 7:37:54 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Chris

I think no one really talks about the blazer because most of these people are just wanting to start out and want to get the cheapest way into the industry. But yeah I saw the blazer run and it is pretty cool.

This is a discussion about What is the Best DTG Printer? that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in