What is the Best DTG Printer? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

What is the Best DTG Printer?

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 18th, 2007 May 18, 2007 12:37:52 PM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Ken
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What is the Best DTG Printer?

It has been almost a year, but I researched most of the machines. Cost wise, and capability wise (cost benefit) We chose the Digital Kiosk. A major factor in that decision was the cost. We were opening an embroidery shop, and were initially looking at a large town to open in. We decided to keep our overhead low and open in a smaller town (300 people) and do outside sales. The DTG was a business to complement the embroidery. The DTG was purchased before we actually made the decision to open in the small town. So the DTG ended up no being a wise purchase for us. You relly need an established t-shirt business, or a good bit of foot traffic at a store front to justify them.

That being said....... I havent had a problem with the machine at all. It does what it is advertised to do. The white upgrade was not available when we purchased ours. It came out just after. I had no problems with the setup at all. Everyone has been pleased with the work that it has put out. The vast majority of shirts that I have done have been putting photographs on shirts. This was mostly parents getting pics of the kids in a football uniform and such and putting text to the effect of "#34 James's Dad" or something of the like.

I did have a problem once of the head stopping up. This mostly happens when the machine sits idle for a long period of time without being used. It can be avoided by hitting the ink button and having it cycle through a head cleaning cycle every couple of days. Other than that... I have had no problems with the machine at all.

I use corel draw for everything. If you are even remotely familiar with your software... you should have no problem at all. The only reason I am going to sell mine is the fact that we dont have the store traffic to generate enough business for it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2007 May 19, 2007 8:46:48 AM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Hmmmm...I want a DTG printer which I can use to print for student organizations in universities, so I'm looking at approx. 75-100 shirt orders per organization on average, then I'll start expanding from there.

I was looking at printers like the DTG Bullet and the T-Jet Blazer which could print several shirts at the same time, but is it worth it if I am going to cater to this small a market first? I think I want those 'cause I'm just plain lazy to do it shirt by shirt, but if there is an affordable & good printer which could print at least 2 shirts at the same time, that would be great

And my biggest concern is the cost of ink and its quality. I want something of quality (particularly with whites) but at the same time something not too expensive. Something more on the lines of 4-5 cents per shirt (12" x 6" print). Speed of printing is somewhat of a concern and affordability as well (below $22K)

That seems specific enough..so, any printer which could best service the aforesaid criteria?

I was thinking DTG Kiosk HM1 or T-Jet3..give suggestions please

Old May 19th, 2007 May 19, 2007 10:56:28 AM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

HM1 is pretty quick and the white ink it lays down in single pass is good. Printing onto light fabric and not using white ink it is very fast. Try get a demo on it.

Old May 19th, 2007 May 19, 2007 11:45:11 AM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Chris

the Tjet3 is very fast using the R1800 print head which allows it to also use four channels of white and four of color(for the white enabled machines). I would also suggest you see them both in action before making a decision. The bullet and Blazer are also good machines if you have the room for them.

Old May 19th, 2007 May 19, 2007 11:58:37 AM -   #20 (permalink)
GRH
T-Shirt Fan

Smile Re: What is the Best DTG Printer?

dmt387.

Your requirements for ink costs are unrealistic. Printing a large print on a dark shirt with a heavy underbase can cost in excess of $5.00 in ink costs. Printing on light shirts is much less costly but still costs much more than 4 or 5 cents per print. With 75-100 pcs orders there is a small screen printer around that will print these cheap. Because of ink costs and speed DTG printers are more for the smaller orders that the screen printers won't or can't economically do.

If you are lazy like you say then printing white ink on dark shirts (as the technology exists today) will make you crazy. It can be done (I do it every day) but it is not easy.

If I were you I would try to find a local screen printer and contract these orders out. There are cheap used DTG printers on the market now because many people jumped into this market thinking these machines were like their desk top printers and were overwhelmed. Think about buying a used DTG or T-Jet (assuming that you will need to spend $500 on parts to bring it up to par). Get your feet wet and then upgrade.

Regards,
Greg

Old May 19th, 2007 May 19, 2007 12:42:01 PM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Chris

great advice Greg, going the used way is really good for people just getting into the business.

Old May 20th, 2007 May 20, 2007 5:43:42 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Is using a used printer worth it?

I'm concerned with the additional maintenance that that might entail seeing as it has been used before. I might end up spending more to keep it running

Oh, and can anyone explain to me why & how hard it is to print on dark shirts? 'cause I don't really know

Old May 20th, 2007 May 20, 2007 6:57:29 AM -   #23 (permalink)
GRH
T-Shirt Fan

dmt387,

I have had a T-Jet2 for over a year now. I bought it very slightly used for several thousand $ less than the cost of a new machine. The machine had a clogged head caused by poor maintenance and from sitting unused. The seller did not want to spend the time and energy required to learn how to run and maintain the machine. Maintenance on the machines is not extensive but it must be done religiously (especially machines running white ink). I spend about 5 minutes a day doing maintenance and an extra 30 minutes weekly.

I can only speak for the T-Jet because that is what I have experience with but most of these machines are very similar. If you buy a used machine and it will print at all you should assume that you will need to replace 3 things (the head $300---the capping station $50---the encoder strip $12). If the used machine won't print at all don't buy it (you could be into replacing motherboard and cables $500).

If you don't like doing maintenance and a screw driver scares the hell out of you then don't buy any DTG machine at this time.

In the past Dupont's white ink (I believe most machines are running this) has been problematic. It settles badly causing you to have to reprime the ink cartridges on a regular basis and causing head clogs. Dupont just came out with a new white ink that is supposed to prevent this.

To print white or light ink on a dark shirt you must pretreat the shirt and then lay down a heavy white under base. The color inks are translucent and will not show up on a dark shirt without an underbase.

Here are the steps I take to print a black shirt.

1. Prepress the shirt for 3 seconds.
2. Mist the shirt lightly with water.
3. Spray the shirt with pretreatment.
4. Mist the shirt lightly with water.
5. Lightly pat the pretreatment into the shirt with a damp rag.
6. Cover the shirt with Quillon coated parchment paper and press for 7seconds.
7. Remove the parchment paper and press for 10 seconds.
8. Print the shirt (on dark shirts this will take 5-7 minutes average).
9. Place the shirt back on the press and cover with silicon parchment paper and press lightly for 3 minutes to cure the ink.

If any of these steps are done wrong then it usually results in a scrap shirt.

Printing on white shirts is fairly simple.

1. Prepress for 3 seconds.
2. Print shirt.
3. Press and cure for 60 seconds.

I am not trying to scare you off but before you dump a lot of money into this technology you should have an understanding of what you are getting into.

Best Regards,
Greg

Last edited by GRH; May 20th, 2007 at 07:21 AM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GRH For This Useful Post:
andy c (January 20th, 2014), Riph (October 19th, 2011)
Old May 21st, 2007 May 21, 2007 12:30:53 AM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Greg,

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know printing on a dark shirt would require so much work, but then again its something I have to learn so I can't complain.

Where do I get the replacement parts? Do I get it from the company my printer is or do I have to get it somewhere else?

And I have another problem, I live in the Philippines so access to these printers (even more so to used DTG Printers) is very limited. I've been searching online but I can't find any that I like, and I prefer to see the machine first-hand rather than buy it from someone anonymous online.

Old May 21st, 2007 May 21, 2007 11:44:19 AM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Ken

Your statement about the white ink on dark is the very reason I have not purchased the white upgrade yet. There are still some issues, I think, that are to be settleed with the white. I have not had any problems with the light colored, and they hold up to wash very well.

Old May 22nd, 2007 May 22, 2007 7:07:21 PM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

A printer you should be looking at closely is AnaJet. I have one, and I love it. It has everything, including a good price.

Mine cost $14,600 and it prints on white and black T Shirts. Wash tests have been excellent. You can see it at AnaJet: Direct to Garment Digital Apparel Printer. The ink refill is by catridge, and the machine is portable weighing only 72 lbs.

It is made in Costa Mesa, CA.

God Luck

Dave

Old May 22nd, 2007 May 22, 2007 10:27:37 PM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL2007
A printer you should be looking at closely is AnaJet. I have one, and I love it. It has everything, including a good price.

Mine cost $14,600 and it prints on white and black T Shirts. Wash tests have been excellent. You can see it at AnaJet: Direct to Garment Digital Apparel Printer. The ink refill is by catridge, and the machine is portable weighing only 72 lbs.

Dave
I checked the website and it looks really good on paper. However I am concerned about its actual performance and the fact that it might cost more ink-wise.

What are your comments on this machine (AnaJet)?

Oh and if anyone is going to attend a trade show with this printer in it, please PM me your opinion on the machine hehe..

Old November 15th, 2007 Nov 15, 2007 12:02:47 PM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Anita

Here is my take on this...and only mine. I bought the original TJet and ended up selling it back to the distributor at a huge loss. It was one problem after another and next thing you know the T Jet 2 is out and mine is basically obsolete. Now they are 2 more designs ahead without seeming to have worked all the quirks out of the first ones. Every time there was a problem it was a $300 printhead...I guess what I am trying to say is check with a lot of people to see what their experience is with DTG. It's not that it didnt produce some great looking prints...by my gosh, it wasnt worth all the trial and tribulation that I had!

Old November 18th, 2007 Nov 18, 2007 7:09:40 PM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Brad

I've been pondering between the T-Jet and the DTG Kiosk as well. It seems you get a little more with T-Jet but is it worth the extra 2K? Also, has anyone had any success haggling down the prices when purchasing? If so, any suggestions?

Old November 19th, 2007 Nov 19, 2007 5:58:23 AM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Anita

The best place to get a "deal" is at the trade shows.

This is a discussion about What is the Best DTG Printer? that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in