[Inks for DTG Printing] Humidity - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

[Inks for DTG Printing] Humidity

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 27th, 2012 Mar 27, 2012 8:12:03 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Cool Humidity

Has anybody tried to operate the Anajet Mpower for extended periods at less than the ‘required’ 45% humidity?
The reason I ask is that we had to run the printer at a lower humidity for a week and the results were fine. No problems with the ink or head.
We got back to the office and expected to find dried ink in part of the system ... but none.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2012 Mar 27, 2012 11:09:31 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Kevin
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: Humidity

I think that you will find that this is a manufacturer suggestion. I have customers that use our Mod1 in drier climates (Arizona, Nevada), and only then do I see them have to alter the environment to get the humidity up to a certain level. If you keep up with your daily maintenance and keep an eye on how the ink reacts to your environment, you will be able to gauge if you will have to humidify the machine's surroundings. Where are you located?

Old June 24th, 2014 Jun 24, 2014 7:53:31 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Robert

Here's an interesting thought. How do manufacturers run their dtg printers at trade shows like ISS all day in completely uncontrolled environments and seem to not have any problems? I have yet to stop by someone's booth and they have clogging problems. Are these people working with the devil?

Old June 24th, 2014 Jun 24, 2014 10:02:38 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by soko61
Here's an interesting thought. How do manufacturers run their dtg printers at trade shows like ISS all day in completely uncontrolled environments and seem to not have any problems? I have yet to stop by someone's booth and they have clogging problems. Are these people working with the devil?
You need to look closer at how the printers are operated at the show and the print quality compared to samples posted to clients.

You will notice a quite a difference.

Old June 24th, 2014 Jun 24, 2014 10:09:24 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Clogged nozzles are clogged nozzles. There's no gray area. The quality is there at the shows I've been to.

Old June 25th, 2014 Jun 25, 2014 12:33:35 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Billy
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

You usually don't see clogging on printers at the shows because they are printing all day long. Plus the shows are only about 2-3 days. If the printers were just sitting there with ink installed then maybe in a few days you will start to see clogging. It doesn't usually happen over night unless it's sitting in a hot room. Just depends how fast the water evaporates from the ink. Having the proper humidity in combination with the proper temperature is what keeps the water from evaporating. That's the purpose of it.

Old June 25th, 2014 Jun 25, 2014 5:44:51 AM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,075 Times in 922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazographics
You usually don't see clogging on printers at the shows because they are printing all day long. Plus the shows are only about 2-3 days. If the printers were just sitting there with ink installed then maybe in a few days you will start to see clogging. It doesn't usually happen over night unless it's sitting in a hot room. Just depends how fast the water evaporates from the ink. Having the proper humidity in combination with the proper temperature is what keeps the water from evaporating. That's the purpose of it.

Billy is quite right. Direct to garment printer inks are all water based. Too low a humidity level and they will start giving you issues. If not right away then certainly in a short while. The mistake we see made all the time are users keeping the humidity level at 50% during the work day and then shutting off everything at the end of the day, including humidifiers. The humidity level then dries up and the printer is in a low humidity level for hours if not days. The proper humidity level should be maintained 24/7. It is not hard to do and will reward you in extended printhead life and no clogging issues.

_

The Following User Says Thank You to equipmentzone For This Useful Post:
NZACO (June 25th, 2014)
Old June 25th, 2014 Jun 25, 2014 6:20:50 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks for the posts guys. I do have to say, controlling humidity is not easy here in New Mexico. I imagine New Jersey is entirely different with it's humidity already in place.
I've done everything right as mentioned in the above post and still have problems. I have to do several head cleanings a day to get a good nozzle check. This is on top of the auto maintenance system and goes off on my printer every 8 hours. I also clean everyday and go beyond what the manufacturer suggest. I should have listened to my father and become an accountant.

Old June 25th, 2014 Jun 25, 2014 6:25:31 AM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Thanks for the posts guys. I do have to say, controlling humidity is not easy here in New Mexico. I imagine New Jersey is entirely different with it's humidity already in place.
I've done everything right as mentioned in the above post and still have problems. I have to do several head cleanings a day to get a good nozzle check. This is on top of the auto maintenance system and goes off on my printer every 8 hours. I also clean everyday and go beyond what the manufacturer suggest. I should have listened to my father and become an accountant.

If you have one or two of the right size humidifiers in the room the printer is in and you should be able to keep it at the proper humidity.

_

Old June 25th, 2014 Jun 25, 2014 5:33:13 PM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:

Here is one large humidifier we recommend:
Essick Air Products AIRCARE Decor Series 5.5 gal. Evaportive Humidifier for 2,700 sq. ft.-4DTS 900 at The Home Depot

_

This is a discussion about Humidity that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in