Neon Color Capabilities Direct to Garment Printers - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

Neon Color Capabilities Direct to Garment Printers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By FatKat Printz
  • 1 Post By ROYAL SAVAGE

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 6th, 2012 Jan 6, 2012 9:22:41 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Neon Color Capabilities Direct to Garment Printers

Just wondering if anyone knows if DTG printers are capable of producing true neon colors yet? I am not refering to a CMYK production either. I have had a few sources try to produce a neon color out of the standard cmyk ink and had miserable results.

Any insight on this subject would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2012 Jan 6, 2012 9:34:15 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Thanked 1,037 Times in 869 Posts

Default Re: Neon Color Capabilities Direct to Garment Printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZA1
I have had a few sources try to produce a neon color out of the standard cmyk ink and had miserable results.
DTG color profiles will have to be adjusted to achieve better results but you may not get the expected results of BRIGHT NEON

Quote:
DTG is a CMYK production based printer look at these color codes to "try" CMYK Selected Color Codes

Color Conversion (RGB/CMYK): Lime green | web.forret.com

The Following User Says Thank You to FatKat Printz For This Useful Post:
KRAZA1 (January 6th, 2012)
Old January 6th, 2012 Jan 6, 2012 10:05:36 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

The best way to understand, is to print colors/design to a desktop printer (CMYK only) using cheap paper (not photo). If you can't get the color there it's not possible on DTG. That being said it's possible that with some of the new printers out there, they could start offering spot color, but the ink developers for textile will need to jump in.

The Following User Says Thank You to zoom_monster For This Useful Post:

Old January 6th, 2012 Jan 6, 2012 10:34:04 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Neon colors are by their nature reflect light - process colors are illuminted by light because they are translucent - it is a case of "you can't get there from here". Z is correct that it would take a spot color to produce such colors. The challenges with this are that it would call for the elimination of a white channel (which means slower dark garment prints), a good working knowledge of how to generate files with a "spot color layer" (sometimes called an alpha channel), a commitment to a specific spot color (as changing between them would waste a good amount of ink). Lastly - what spot colors to choose?

The Following User Says Thank You to Don-ColDesi For This Useful Post:
Old January 6th, 2012 Jan 6, 2012 11:56:37 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Kevin
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone knows if DTG printers are capable of producing true neon colors yet? I am not refering to a CMYK production either. I have had a few sources try to produce a neon color out of the standard cmyk ink and had miserable results.

You Should read this Color space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look at the difference between RGB on you monitor and CMYK

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROYAL SAVAGE For This Useful Post:
JeridHill (January 6th, 2012), KRAZA1 (January 6th, 2012)
Old January 7th, 2012 Jan 7, 2012 5:47:07 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

That is the best reference I have ever seen, great post Royal! When i had someone try to give me the brightest green possible using DTG technology, the green in your image is exactly what I got. I just wish the DTG printers could produce loud and colorful designs! CMYK is such a buzzkill, after producing an image in RGB.

Old January 7th, 2012 Jan 7, 2012 5:56:04 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Kevin
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
That is the best reference I have ever seen, great post Royal! When i had someone try to give me the brightest green possible using DTG technology, the green in your image is exactly what I got. I just wish the DTG printers could produce loud and colorful designs! CMYK is such a buzzkill, after producing an image in RGB.
Ink technology, and that's what it is, is changing rapidly. You can get phenominal DTG prints with great color. Screen printing is in the same boat when CMYK is used. The gamut is not where we would like it to be. In the graphics art printing business, printers using machines such as Epson 7900 get incredibly bright prints with the addition of green and orange. Screen printers resorted to simulated process with custom mixed colors to increase vibrancy. DTG will catch up at some point. You can't wait for everything to be perfect if you are serious about jumping in. Printers already in the business will naturally have a major leg up as technology changes. There is no perfect time.

Old January 7th, 2012 Jan 7, 2012 6:29:28 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

We are printing single piece orders, with an athletes name and number, using an old school vinyl process. We cater to customers that demand loud neon green colors, pink and orange colors.

I am looking to get my feet wet in DTG, but not sure where to start. The Neoflex machine seems to win lots of "competitions", but the cost is $22k for a unit and the greens didn't seem to be that spectacular. There seem to be other machines on the market for less than $15k, but unsure of where to begin looking.

Any advice relative to an entry level machine, decent for single piece runs - we don't need a machine that does 3 or 4 at a time, just something basic with good resolution and colors. You mentioned the Epson 7900, maybe a manufacturer that makes a unit with that model.

Old January 7th, 2012 Jan 7, 2012 8:18:08 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
We are printing single piece orders, with an athletes name and number, using an old school vinyl process. We cater to customers that demand loud neon green colors, pink and orange colors..

Truth of the matter is that "athletic" printing is usually on poly and nylon. On top of that they are hardly ever white garments. Current technology will not allow you to get great results using a white underbase on this type of fabric.

process printing (CMYK or Hexachrome) in itself will never have a gamut of colors any better than what it could do on say photo paper. Even with white ink, you are still going to have a comprimise in color strength. CMYK has been around for about 80 years? but there has been very little inprovement to what colors it can produce. This is why we have CMYKlclmlk and hexachome ink sets to begin with. Without spot colors, DTG will never give you "those" colors.

Last edited by zoom_monster; January 7th, 2012 at 08:36 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to zoom_monster For This Useful Post:
KRAZA1 (January 7th, 2012)
Old January 7th, 2012 Jan 7, 2012 9:05:20 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks for all of the insight from all. I cant wait for the spot color technology, it will surely take it all to the next level that i am sure lots of consumers are hungry for, i know my customers are.

Old January 7th, 2012 Jan 7, 2012 11:45:54 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

One more question - Solvent Inks vs Water Based Inks - do all DTG printers use water based inks? Pro's / Con's? Looking for opinions and insight.

This is a discussion about Neon Color Capabilities Direct to Garment Printers that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in