DTG printed shirt in U.S. - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

DTG printed shirt in U.S.

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 4th, 2011 Mar 4, 2011 10:31:55 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Smile DTG printed shirt in U.S.

I am just curious the DTG market share in U.S. compared to screen printing.

Let's say 100 printed shirts on the market. How many do you think now are made by DTG printer?

Any one can estimate?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2011 Mar 5, 2011 3:46:12 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,068 Times in 915 Posts

Default Re: DTG printed shirt in U.S.

Direct to garment printing is still a small fraction of the overall garment printing market compared to screen printing. However, t-shirt screen printing has been around for over half a century. Direct to garment printing basically only really started up around 2004. There are no accurate statistics on the number of printers out there as every printer manufacturer keeps their production figures private. So any proportion number between the 2 processes would be strictly a guess.

Harry
Equipment Zone

Old March 5th, 2011 Mar 5, 2011 4:33:44 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Sponsor
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: NeoFather Peter
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Thanked 1,468 Times in 1,160 Posts

Harry is right. Impossible to get that data.
One thing we are all sure about is DTG is eating up screenprinting slowly.
As similar as Digital ate up offset industry real bad.
However, screen print and offset print will never disappear in our life clock.
Whenever digital adds Faster, economical, less maintenance and tricks little by little (Special effects, glitter, puff, jell ---etc) I foresee uprising of DTG and declining screen printing.
Sunrise is beautiful also the sunset.

Last edited by allamerican; March 5th, 2011 at 04:38 AM..

Old March 5th, 2011 Mar 5, 2011 4:52:00 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,122 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allamerican
Sunrise is beautiful also the sunset.
Are you eating fortune cookies?

Old March 5th, 2011 Mar 5, 2011 5:03:40 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Roger
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Learning the unknown is a feat that is never accomplished

Old March 5th, 2011 Mar 5, 2011 6:11:09 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

I notice you're getting some sleep lately Jerid

Old March 5th, 2011 Mar 5, 2011 6:26:52 AM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thanked 1,237 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allive
Let's say 100 printed shirts on the market. How many do you think now are made by DTG printer?

Any one can estimate?
0.000000001% is my estimate.

screen printing will never go away. dtg printing has a place but it is nowhere near what screen printing is today.

consider this. you can start screen printing right now for around $100 and certainly multi-color under $1000. for dtg (unless you do a diydtg) you are looking at around $15K for the tabletop and $50 or more for a big one. the cost of ink is astronomical for dtg compared to screen printing.

The simple economics of entry into the marketplace dictate that screen printing will not be taken over unless something dramatic happens to either increase the cost of screen printing or lower the cost of dtg.

Old March 5th, 2011 Mar 5, 2011 7:41:47 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: D.P.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I would say if you are talking about retaile, 0% DTG , I can't imagine any major retailer offering DTG in store, possibly in some type of mom-and-pop store. I think DTG is for specialized items , Cafe PResss, Zazzle, etc

Old March 5th, 2011 Mar 5, 2011 7:42:42 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

I believe dtg costs will slowly come down accross the board.. I also beleive the powers that be will eventually tighten there grip and restrictions on the screen print ink/chemicals.. ie pvc etc.. this will force cost up for screen print and or operation costs for being compliant.. you already see some promoting the safe product certificates etc within dtg.. It is my opinion that the consumer will by a higher priced product that is "deemed green and or safe".. alternative to traditional methods..

If you consider the other costs outside of just ink.. transparencies for positives ink for the trans, emulsion/capillary film, clean up chemicals and and the time for set up and cleanup and the space needed for these functions all costs are pretty even IMHO.. outside of equipt costs..

the common denominator you here most from screen printers is the cost of the equiptment thats holding them back from taking the plunge .. dtg is a much cleaner easier operation that takes the art form out of the equation for the most part in comparrison to screen print. i think this what makes these folks upset as they have devoted a large portion of there carrer prefecting there art, and now you can just about press a button for an unlimited color image in minutes thats superior quaility..

eventually dtg (water base) being the greener solution and embraced by the green folks/powers to be/ consumers etc,will take over at some point with advancements etc when? who knows.. IMHO

Last edited by german13; March 5th, 2011 at 08:25 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to 102557 For This Useful Post:
dragonknight (March 5th, 2011)
Old March 5th, 2011 Mar 5, 2011 9:56:52 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Adam
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
0.000000001% is my estimate.

screen printing will never go away. dtg printing has a place but it is nowhere near what screen printing is today.

consider this. you can start screen printing right now for around $100 and certainly multi-color under $1000. for dtg (unless you do a diydtg) you are looking at around $15K for the tabletop and $50 or more for a big one. the cost of ink is astronomical for dtg compared to screen printing.

The simple economics of entry into the marketplace dictate that screen printing will not be taken over unless something dramatic happens to either increase the cost of screen printing or lower the cost of dtg.
You can buy a used DTG printer for about the same price as a multi-station screen press with micro registration.

Where can you find a press, screens, printer and all other supplies for under $100? At best you'll doing 1 color jobs as a hobby, but not enough to invest in more equipment.

I do agree it is much more expensive to get into DTG printing than Screen but $100 -> $15k is way off base.

Old March 5th, 2011 Mar 5, 2011 10:47:06 AM -   #11 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thanked 1,237 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTomahawk
You can buy a used DTG printer for about the same price as a multi-station screen press with micro registration.

Where can you find a press, screens, printer and all other supplies for under $100? At best you'll doing 1 color jobs as a hobby, but not enough to invest in more equipment.

I do agree it is much more expensive to get into DTG printing than Screen but $100 -> $15k is way off base.
you can make a screen setup for about 100 bux and do one color, that was my point. you can do multi color for around 1000. to get into a package deal with a print setup and dryer is around $6K.

dtg is 15K and up though. maybe a used machine for 5K but you still have to get the rip for it.

Old March 6th, 2011 Mar 6, 2011 1:03:34 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

So you have a blank screen.. what about the printer to print artwork and expose the screen? What about a pressure washer to wash out the screen after exposing? What about squeegees and platens, spray tack etc.

Old March 6th, 2011 Mar 6, 2011 1:08:21 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

A decent Multi-colored, Multi-station press with Micro Registration, Flash Dryer, Printer and all the materials and utilities are pushing 4-5k. Our Vastex dryer alone was almost 4k.

A used DTG with Rip, Heat press, sprayer etc. is probably going to run you 6-7k.

Still far more expensive than a screen print setup, but nowhere near the $100 vs $15k gap you were claiming.

Old March 6th, 2011 Mar 6, 2011 2:45:54 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Randy
Thanked 1,024 Times in 673 Posts

Spray paint and stencil is cheaper yet! LOL. When I added screen printing to my DTG business it turned out to be a lot more expensive than I thought even on the cheap side.

This is a discussion about DTG printed shirt in U.S. that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in