[White Ink Printing on DTG Printers] A solution to clogging - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

[White Ink Printing on DTG Printers] A solution to clogging

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 23rd, 2009 Dec 23, 2009 6:57:22 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Adam
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default A solution to clogging

Hi All,
I just wanted to share our experiences with our Kiosk II machines. After reading the article from Belquette about the closed ink system, we decided to give it a shot.
https://www.t-shirtforums.com/belquette/t85827-2.html
We were already using the bulk ink system from EquipmentZone which solved many issues, but also raised some.
On our first machine, we added Belquettes new system, which cost us nothing. The system is sealed bags with adapters to connect to your tubing which they helped us select the proper size and sent them for free. The change over was extremely simple.
As Belquette described, we noticed crisper prints. We were also amazed at how efficient the system is, it will use every last drop of ink in the bag before it needs to be changed. We were also able to leave the machine for 2-3 days without printing, come back .. hold ink fill for 5-8 seconds then do 1 head clean and get perfect nozzle checks. Nozzle checks are 98% perfect everytime. No more fighting with the printer to get a good pattern.

After 2 months of running great, we changed over our second Kiosk to the closed system and had the same results. We are proud to say that we have not lost a print head in over 7 months, we print well over 100 dark shirts a day, the white ink lays down amazing, puddling and everything.

My advice to anyone struggling with issues to give the closed bags a shot.

I will post pics of the printer setup within the next few days.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to TahoeTomahawk For This Useful Post:
Air Graphics (November 2nd, 2011), bornover (January 8th, 2010), cmos (April 25th, 2010), IYFGraphics (December 23rd, 2009), JeridHill (January 5th, 2010), Justin Walker (January 5th, 2010), kevrokr (December 23rd, 2009), moffett8 (December 23rd, 2009), PPop (April 26th, 2010), princessracer (January 5th, 2010), Rodney (January 21st, 2010), Stitch-Up (October 31st, 2010), sunnydayz (December 23rd, 2009), trytobecool (January 4th, 2011), vctradingcubao (December 23rd, 2009), zanone (January 19th, 2010), zhenjie (December 23rd, 2009), zoom_monster (December 24th, 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2009 Dec 23, 2009 9:25:42 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default Re: A solution to clogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTomahawk
After 2 months of running great, we changed over our second Kiosk to the closed system and had the same results. We are proud to say that we have not lost a print head in over 7 months, we print well over 100 dark shirts a day, the white ink lays down amazing, puddling and everything.

My advice to anyone struggling with issues to give the closed bags a shot.

I will post pics of the printer setup within the next few days.
Adam,

So I take it that neither of your machines had the WIMS system on them? if they did does Belquette's system integrate with the WIMS system? or if they did did you have to remove it to install the Belquette's system....

One other question, well maybe two what was the cost to convert the second machine, and how does the cost of ink compare to what you were using?

TIA

Old December 23rd, 2009 Dec 23, 2009 12:42:25 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Hi TIA,
neither of our machines had the WIMS system. At the time we looked into it, we were told that the cost of the system was $800-1k.
There was no cost to convert our second machine to the close bag system, Belquette provided us with all the connectors from the bags to our existing tubing for free.
It's hard to put an exact figure on ink savings since we go through so much of it, but as an idea, we were holding ink fill for a good 15 seconds in the morning, doing 1-2 head cleans, 1 -2 test prints followed up by an additional head clean before we would get near perfect nozzle checks.
With the closed bags, we are getting near perfect nozzle checks on the first head clean in the morning with no test prints required. Plus, we never spill ink refilling the bottles. We never throw out bottles with a bit of ink left in them as the bags are far more efficient.
Prior to the bags, we would have to do 1-2 head cleans per hour to re-prime the print head, now we can do 20-30 full front prints with white ink without even worrying about it.
I can't say enough about this company, they've helped us so much with our machines and are not even the manufacturers.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TahoeTomahawk For This Useful Post:
IYFGraphics (December 23rd, 2009), Justin Walker (January 5th, 2010), moffett8 (January 23rd, 2010), PPop (April 26th, 2010), ReneeMarlea (December 23rd, 2009)

Old December 23rd, 2009 Dec 23, 2009 2:49:08 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTomahawk
There was no cost to convert our second machine to the close bag system, Belquette provided us with all the connectors from the bags to our existing tubing for free.
It's hard to put an exact figure on ink savings since we go through so much of it,
Adam,

Thanks.....but I guess what I was really asking about cost was lets say 500ml of Belquette's ink vs (and I'm guessin' here) the Dupont ink you were using.....I thought I read before that Belquette's ink is Dupont ink just de-gassed and bagged. I like the concept and am interested in anything that will reduce white ink cost. Also are you using bagged CMYK or still the bulk system for it?

TIA

Jon

Old December 23rd, 2009 Dec 23, 2009 3:02:33 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Renee
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Hi Jon,
Correct, we (BelQuette) use DuPont brand inks & they are degassed & micro filtered before they are bagged. I'll send you a PM with the cost per liter, since we (the manufacture) are not allowed to post prices in the open forum.

If you, or anyone else has any questions please feel free to contact us.

Fondly,
Renee

The Following User Says Thank You to ReneeMarlea For This Useful Post:
IYFGraphics (December 23rd, 2009)
Old December 23rd, 2009 Dec 23, 2009 3:10:43 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeMarlea
Hi Jon,
Correct, we (BelQuette) use DuPont brand inks & they are degassed & micro filtered before they are bagged. I'll send you a PM with the cost per liter, since we (the manufacture) are not allowed to post prices in the open forum.

If you, or anyone else has any questions please feel free to contact us.

Fondly,
Renee
Thank you Ma'am, ....

Jon

Old December 23rd, 2009 Dec 23, 2009 3:40:18 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Hi Jon,
sorry about that. Yes, Belquette inks are dupont, the same inks we were buying through various sources including EquipmentZone, Mesa and directdigitalsupplies <-(Another great company). If I remember correctly, Belquette, EZ and DirectDigital all had the lowest ink pricing around.
The sealed bags were a bonus since the ink didn't cost us any more than we were getting it elsewhere.

We're using bags for all 5 colors, CMYKW.

Old December 23rd, 2009 Dec 23, 2009 5:25:01 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: may

Can this bagged system be used on the Kiosk II?

Old December 23rd, 2009 Dec 23, 2009 5:54:09 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Renee

Hi May,
Yes, the bag system can be used on the Kiosk II, this is the same printer Adam (TahoeTomahawk) is using.

Old December 23rd, 2009 Dec 23, 2009 7:08:59 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

So good of you to take the plunge first and reporting it Adam! Where do you put the bags? Did you have to create a shelf for them to lie on?

At $280USD a litre according to the website it seems very reasonably priced. Not the cheapest but certainly not the most expensive either.

Last edited by zhenjie; December 23rd, 2009 at 07:14 PM..

Old December 23rd, 2009 Dec 23, 2009 7:34:46 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Hi Guys,
at first we were using the shelf that came with the EquipmentZone bulk ink system, but then just purchased a Lab Jack so we can raise and lower the height of the bags by using a knob.

I'll take a few pictures of it when I get to the shop.

Old January 4th, 2010 Jan 4, 2010 5:00:34 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Mark

Hi Adam!

Will you be attending the ISS Long Beach show?

Old January 5th, 2010 Jan 5, 2010 4:11:23 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Justin
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Thanks for the review! I would love to see pictures of the setup...... I am very curious to see how effective the bag vs. closed cartridge systems are, and how they compare with one another. Thanks again.

Last edited by Justin Walker; January 5th, 2010 at 05:18 PM..

Old January 5th, 2010 Jan 5, 2010 4:33:36 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

WOW! I'm really interested in this. Would it work with the WIMS // HM1. I cant wait to see pictures of it!

Old January 6th, 2010 Jan 6, 2010 6:39:16 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Kip

We started using the white bag ink on our T-Jet2 about a month ago. I posted our experience in a similar thread on the T-jet forum. So far its working great.
Kip

This is a discussion about A solution to clogging that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in