International Shipping with CafePress - does the price deter shoppers? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > CafePress
Discuss the CafePress service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" CafePress sponsored forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future CafePress members. Visit CafePress.

International Shipping with CafePress - does the price deter shoppers?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 26th, 2008 Jun 26, 2008 10:31:10 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Lee-Anne
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question International Shipping with CafePress - does the price deter shoppers?

I am considering using Cafepress to sell my products. However, I am based in the UK. Most of my customers will be in the UK.

Does the customs, duty charges involved in shipping internationally deter potential customers from buying?

Will my customers always have to pay these charges, or do they just check packages on a random basis?

How do they know how much the order is worth?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2008 Jun 26, 2008 10:42:10 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,029 Times in 3,228 Posts

Default Re: International Shipping with CafePress - does the price deter shoppers?

It may deter some customers, but I think many international customers who shop online are used to paying any necessary shipping and duties when buying from US Destinations.

CafePress is required to state the value of the package when they ship it internationally.

Some customers won't have to pay a duty if the order total is below a certain amount

More info here: CafePress.com : Customer Service : Shipping & Returns

The Following User Says Thank You to Rodney For This Useful Post:
Lee-Anne333 (June 26th, 2008)
Old June 26th, 2008 Jun 26, 2008 2:00:55 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Sarah

Default Re: International Shipping with CafePress - does the price deter shoppers?

From what I've heard from my UK customers, the max value UK customers can order without incurring custom and duty taxes is 36.00 USD.

Old June 27th, 2008 Jun 27, 2008 3:26:10 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I'm in the UK and that is right. £18 is the limit if it is not a "gift", aka $36. But that doesn't stop me ordering a lot of stuff from abroad. Depending on the delivery method, I find the overall saving is more than the amount of times I've been charged. I do get charged more often with EMS though compared to Air Mail / SAL etc.

I considered Spreadshirt EU to cover UK customers who fear customs charges but heard that with the higher priced EU-based t-shirts etc. that it is overall no different in the final cost. With the strong pound UK customers make a bit of a saving ordering from a US based place (50% off) and I guess that offsets the charges. But I am welcome to other opinions.

I was trying to find which service offers the cheapest overall product and shipping prices but its tough to say really. I know that Zazzle would probably get a bit expensive due to them shipping things in separate boxes or something like that. More boxes = more chances of customs stamping a box.

Last edited by gerbilgoods; June 27th, 2008 at 03:33 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to gerbilgoods For This Useful Post:
Lee-Anne333 (June 27th, 2008)
Old June 30th, 2008 Jun 30, 2008 3:36:45 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Colin

Hi Lee-Ann,
I'm in the UK too. I've been using Cafepress for over 2 years and Zazzle for 1 year. Nearly all of my orders have come from US customers. I agree with the other comments on customs and tax but no one's mentioned the Royal Mail handling charge introduced last year. They charge a flat rate of £8 if they have to collect import duty or VAT. I know a postman in Birmingham and he says he's seen at lot of Cafepress orders hit by this.
If you expect a lot of UK orders consider using CreativeCraving.co.uk. They are fairly new and based in Boreham Wood. They deliver only to UK £2.50 for most orders. Obviously they are fairly small at the moment 87 shops, Cafepress has 1.3 million apparently. I've had one order from Creative Craving so far - printing was superb and quick delivery(4 days from order). Hope that's of interest.
regards
Colin

The Following User Says Thank You to cojogoo For This Useful Post:
Lee-Anne333 (June 30th, 2008)
Old July 3rd, 2008 Jul 3, 2008 5:49:40 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: STEVE AKA BIGNUMPT

[quote=gerbilgoods;311104]I'm in the UK and that is right. £18 is the limit if it is not a "gift", aka $36.

Afternoon all,

I'm based in the UK and approx 80% my shops sales are from the good old US of A but I've sold to lots of European countries,Australia,Canada etc etc.

Great time in the UK to benefit form the exchange rate,just wish CP would do some serious UK and Euro promotion.Anyway,I digress.

I've ordered goods from CP and have not paid any duties on any goods to date ( You watch the next lot get taxed now I've said that!) Some parcels have been to the value of $65-75 too!

I can't see how they authorities can check every parcel,the system would gind to a halt.I've a good friend who works at a very senior level in UK Customs and they don't even have the manpower to man airports,ports etc to the levels he wants.

All the best

Old July 3rd, 2008 Jul 3, 2008 11:13:41 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Colin

Hi Steve

I agree with what you say - I've been lucky too! My last order from Zaz was for $80 of prints - they kindly wrote 'prints $1' on the customs form and it got through eventually ok.
However, just after I started up with CP two years ago a relation ordered $96 of stuff and got a £13 duty/vat shock - now that would be £21 with this new handling charge. Thats like a 40 odd percent surcharge.
I've heard that if Customs open a package and there is no price quoted in the package, or they don't believe the declaration, they determine the duty by deciding what the item would probably cost in a shop here - could be anything!.
My view is that if someone in the Uk gets hit with a surcharge they don't expect youv'e got an unhappy customer before they even see the goods.
Cafepress were supposed to be looking into a UK branch - but they seemed to have abandoned it - there's some stuff about it in the CP forums.
I'm re-directing UK customers to my CreativeCraving store, at least they will know what they are paying up front.

Like to hear your thoughts

regards Colin

Old August 14th, 2013 Aug 14, 2013 3:11:20 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hi everyone,

1. I am about to choose with who will I work so I was just wondering how is with pick ups?? I guess you don't have to go every single day to the post office and ship your stuff. Imagine, doing that every day for 1k+ orders... I read once they can come to your address and pick up the items (?).
2. Is there any contract you need to have or membership perhaps?
3. I am planning to have my own bags where I'll put my shirts. Do I still have to put it in another bag where the labels/stickers will go on? I prefer that so that customers will be able to see full design of my bag.
4. Is it more expensive if you put a bag of a t shirt into a box or is it the same price?
5. I am about to email them (Royal Mail or USPS) - maybe any suggestions what to ask?

I'm from the UK, shipping worldwide. Thank you

Last edited by jolenes; August 14th, 2013 at 03:16 AM..

Old August 14th, 2013 Aug 14, 2013 8:59:20 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Martin
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolenes
Hi everyone,

1. I am about to choose with who will I work so I was just wondering how is with pick ups?? I guess you don't have to go every single day to the post office and ship your stuff. Imagine, doing that every day for 1k+ orders... I read once they can come to your address and pick up the items (?).
2. Is there any contract you need to have or membership perhaps?
3. I am planning to have my own bags where I'll put my shirts. Do I still have to put it in another bag where the labels/stickers will go on? I prefer that so that customers will be able to see full design of my bag.
4. Is it more expensive if you put a bag of a t shirt into a box or is it the same price?
5. I am about to email them (Royal Mail or USPS) - maybe any suggestions what to ask?

I'm from the UK, shipping worldwide. Thank you
Okay, I'm confused with this one because you've posted your question's on a thread that's geared towards using a POD supplier who do all the posting for you. If you posted this in error then;

1. With reference to who you're looking to choose, is this in reference to CafePress or is this in reference to a courier or Royal Mail? In terms of postal quantity, do you have individual orders for 1k+ parcels per day or is this wishful thinking, because the other thing to remember is that regardless of whether you're using a courier or royal mail and they're going to pick them up, you're still going to have to pack and label 1000 parcels a day.

2. Depends on the volume of parcels you'll be sending out and who you're working with. Depending on who you use you can get different levels of discounts based on the volume.

3. That would depend on if you want to stick labels on your bags and more importantly, if you want the delivery company to see the contents. I'd go with protecting the contents from the delivery company otherwise you might end up with missing parcels?

4. Yes. Different postal class.

5. No idea until 1 - 4 are answered.

This is a discussion about International Shipping with CafePress - does the price deter shoppers? that was posted in the CafePress section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in