Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > CafePress
Discuss the CafePress service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" CafePress sponsored forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future CafePress members. Visit CafePress.

Is cafe press a scam?

Like Tree8Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 24th, 2014 Apr 24, 2014 12:50:04 AM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default re: Is cafe press a scam?

It's a very important topic. I needed to get input from people about this-you don't like it-don't read it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2014 Apr 24, 2014 12:51:27 AM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hey man, you don't like it don't read it-not talking to you anyway. I'm talking to people who has info or experience with this and cares.

Old April 24th, 2014 Apr 24, 2014 12:54:23 AM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Tlhanks for understanding that this is an honest concern. I just want to know the truth and not waist my time or anyone elses. That's what I was thinking-I'd probably make more on my own website and make the t-shirts myself. It's good that we are able to talk about this.

Old April 24th, 2014 Apr 24, 2014 1:00:47 AM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You people must be in on it too or you wouldn't be this upset. I just pulled up a famous Marilyn Monroe picture to act like a customer ordering a shirt. I added some stars-Cafe Press has been e-mailing me to encourage me to finish the buying process. It did not write to me saying I had copy right material at all.

This isn't proof0-it's just pure common sense. And, if this is the case, I would be very angry and others too. Somebody would be in hot water buddy.

Old April 24th, 2014 Apr 24, 2014 6:39:20 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Just a heads up Marilyn Monroe is public domain you can use her image without fear of infringement.

Old April 24th, 2014 Apr 24, 2014 11:43:11 PM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

So, I can sell Marilyn Monroe pictures that someone else took?

Old April 24th, 2014 Apr 24, 2014 11:46:24 PM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornpopps
Just a heads up Marilyn Monroe is public domain you can use her image without fear of infringement.
I may be infringing on the person that drew the picture or took the picture. Why is Marilyn Monroes' pictures being SOLD in stores and on photo bucket for example-heads up

Old April 25th, 2014 Apr 25, 2014 4:18:45 AM -   #23 (permalink)
ETA
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Nick

mav04,

This entire topic is confusing me. I understand your concerns about CafePress, I really do. They, and sites like them, are potential threats to those working in our industry. I understand that designs can easily be copied, and scams can easily be run this way. That being said, what can we do about it? I mean, if you don't like it, don't use it, that's the only way I can think of to impact the situation.

Personally, I think things like this are good for the industry. They drive creativity from people who aren't associated with those sites.

I guess I just don't really understand what it is you're hoping to gain from this.

Old April 25th, 2014 Apr 25, 2014 3:51:03 PM -   #24 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,023 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav04
Hey man, you don't like it don't read it-not talking to you anyway. I'm talking to people who has info or experience with this and cares.
I have experience with CafePress. I've used their services since they opened, I've met the founders, I've been to their offices. I've sold $1000's of dollars worth of merchandise using my own designs through their site.

I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are not a scam.

They may not pay as well as other services, and they may put CafePress branding throughout the checkout experience, but calling them a scam is definitely incorrect and a pretty harsh accusation. Making duplicate threads and several posts claiming they are sounds more like you have an agenda beyond "just asking a question".

Old April 25th, 2014 Apr 25, 2014 4:03:22 PM -   #25 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Default Re: Is cafe press a scam?

Quote:
You people must be in on it too or you wouldn't be this upset. I just pulled up a famous Marilyn Monroe picture to act like a customer ordering a shirt. I added some stars-Cafe Press has been e-mailing me to encourage me to finish the buying process. It did not write to me saying I had copy right material at all.

This isn't proof0-it's just pure common sense. And, if this is the case, I would be very angry and others too. Somebody would be in hot water buddy.
Just to address the copyright concerns:

CafePress's system is real time and highly automated. And just like eBay, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Yelp, even T-ShirtForums (and many other scalable, highly automated systems of posting information), yes, it's possible for someone to post something that shouldn't be there.

And just like all of those systems, there are checks and balances to stop it from happening and ways for intellectual property rights owners to notify the service of infringing material to have it taken down.

There's also a human element to most of these systems. The automated stuff will probably catch big brand logos and intellectual property and stop it from being sold. The smaller stuff might be caught by someone operating the printing machines (in the case of Cafe Press), and just like when you drive down the highway, so people will get away with breaking the law and some people will be pulled over to the side of the road by the police.

Some people get caught and some people don't.

I don't think that CafePress wants consumers to take shopkeepers designs and buy them without compensating the designer. For one, the consumer doesn't have access to the high resolution file the designer uploads to CafePress for printing. So if the consumer was somehow able to go through the trouble to get around the obstacles CP has put in place to prevent easy grabbing of images, they would end up with a crappily printed t-shirt from a low quality image.

I don't think your average customer is that determined to save a couple dollars. They just see a cool design, add it to their cart, buy it and move on to looking at cat videos on YouTube.

Crooks. People who are looking for shady stuff to do and ways to beat the system. Those guys are gonna do what they're gonna do and be caught or not be caught. All the copyrights and trademarks and lawyers aren't going to stop crooks. They'll do it until they get caught.

But the majority of people aren't crooks. They are just people who shop at Target or BestBuy or Amazon.com and don't have the time to figure out a way to be a computer master in order to circumvent a very easy system setup to buy something cool you see online.

People aren't fans of Cafe Press for a variety of reasons (they've changed a lot over the years)...but being an actual "scam" is not what they are about.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rodney For This Useful Post:
charles95405 (April 25th, 2014)
Old April 25th, 2014 Apr 25, 2014 9:58:12 PM -   #26 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Richie Rich
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Excuse my French, (as us Brits say), but this is bollocks. MOST people can't even make a solid filled square in photoshop, let alone rip off a complex design.

You can go onto the Ambercrombie and Fitch website to find a simple design concept to steal and have printed at your local printer, if you are so inclined. But most people will just buy the genuine article. The same principal can be applied to every design in the world and every sales model. Crap, you could go to my customers website, steal their images, then ask me to print them for yourself. Are you telling me as a screen printer i have to know every image on every website of everyone of my customers so I don't accidentally print an image not owned by them? Crap. i can do my best to ensure they own it and have a contract that the customer states they have rights to the image, but what you are suggesting is totally impossible. You really need a reality check.

I live on an island of 50 000 people. One of my designs was ripped off. On Island. Obviously I found out straight away. It looked like crap, because they have no graphic skills, vision or understanding of composition, (with respect to a print on a shirt). Plus they chose a printer who have no idea what they are doing, so the print was crap too.

All I had to do was post a photo of the rip off next to a mockup of my own original design for people to see how cheap he is. Job done. And good luck to you, you cheap. You'll need it. He came off looking like a class-A D***. I should really thank him.

Last edited by Rodney; April 26th, 2014 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: removed cursing

The Following User Says Thank You to 20vK For This Useful Post:
Rodney (April 26th, 2014)
Old April 28th, 2014 Apr 28, 2014 1:19:44 PM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I've stated an opinion about my doubts, and was hoping someone could reasure me that they are good. If not, then let people know that it's a waist of time is all. I don't understand why people would be offended by a simple question and honest concern? It seems to me like YOU have an agenda.

Old April 28th, 2014 Apr 28, 2014 1:39:25 PM -   #28 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,121 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
I've stated an opinion about my doubts, and was hoping someone could reasure me that they are good. If not, then let people know that it's a waist of time is all. I don't understand why people would be offended by a simple question and honest concern? It seems to me like YOU have an agenda.
I think the bigger issue is the offensive stance you took immediately upon posting. Your thread says "Is Cafe Press a scam?" But you go into how you say they are scam. It comes across more of an offensive posture instead of attempting to find out if this is good for you or not. No where in your original post did you ask this, but you stated how you believe they are a scam and why.

If you said, I want to use Cafe Press, but here are my concerns, that's one thing, but to come out blasting them as scammers and willing accomplices in theft is entirely different. It comes across that you are out to attack them and nothing else.

This is my observation and explanation of most likely why people have responded to you in the manner they have.

Quote:
I think Cafe Press could be a set up. This is why: Think about it. Cafe Press is getting constant free designs shared on there. All the customer has to do is copy your design or quotes and make the design themselves and get Cafe Press to send it to them cheap. They would get the T-shirt way cheaper by bypassing us designers. Cafe Press is making a fortune on selling t-shirts with free designers supplying them with designs. What are ya'll take on that? It is possible since customers are encouraged to make their own designs-they can personalize it also. Who would know if the customer bypassed paying us for the idea-and took the idea from us and just paid cafe press? Cafe Press does not have the motivation to tell the truth. As far as a few people saying they make money-who knows-it could be them posting false statements about their "sales" to get more people to make designs for them to get rich.

The Following User Says Thank You to JeridHill For This Useful Post:
Rodney (April 28th, 2014)
Old April 28th, 2014 Apr 28, 2014 4:10:19 PM -   #29 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeridHill
I think the bigger issue is the offensive stance you took immediately upon posting. Your thread says "Is Cafe Press a scam?" But you go into how you say they are scam. It comes across more of an offensive posture instead of attempting to find out if this is good for you or not. No where in your original post did you ask this, but you stated how you believe they are a scam and why.

If you said, I want to use Cafe Press, but here are my concerns, that's one thing, but to come out blasting them as scammers and willing accomplices in theft is entirely different. It comes across that you are out to attack them and nothing else.

This is my observation and explanation of most likely why people have responded to you in the manner they have.
Quote:
I don't understand why people would be offended by a simple question and honest concern?
Jerid summed it up perfectly You didn't ask a question. You made a statement.

(I changed the thread title to a question to make the topic more clear after you clarified)

Old April 30th, 2014 Apr 30, 2014 10:59:14 PM -   #30 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Richie Rich
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Yup - basically, you came across as a **** trying to stir up **** and so we treated you as a **** trying to stir up ****.

It's all totally your fault. Next time, try being a bit less Machiavellian and ask a straight unbiased question.

The forum gave you what you deserved from your recent membership, attitude and approach to the subject.

In exactly the same way that life will. Walk onto a group of industry pros, try to stir up **** and see what happens.

Get used to it and stop even trying to manipulate. You're really bad at it. Manipulation requires subtlety, which you clearly don't have.

We're a forgiving bunch, though. So just apologise for being a penis and ask your next unbiased question. We'll be sure to jump in and help you in any way we can.

Don't get us wrong, we are mainly made up of small independents and we all struggle with competing against the big boys, (your referenced company, especially. So maybe our reaction is somewhat confusing).

But if you talk crap, we'll club together and strike you down, no matter who you abuse.

Re-evaluate your original multiple
statements, acknowledge how outrageous they were and move forward. We're here to help. If a company was behaving so wrong, don't you think we'd already have brought them down?

As one example, I found a hole in a whole country's legal corporate structure and fixed it. The implications of that are worth billions of dollars. That's just one thing. I've plenty more. What have you done? Pretty sure that since we are ALL in the industry, we would spot a scam as obvious as you try to lead us down. There are a lot of super bright people here. Got perspective yet?

Welcome and get involved the right way. We'll only be too glad to help.

This is a discussion about Is cafe press a scam? that was posted in the CafePress section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in