Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > CafePress
Discuss the CafePress service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" CafePress sponsored forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future CafePress members. Visit CafePress.

Help on CafePress

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 14th, 2007 May 14, 2007 2:36:33 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Help on CafePress

Why is Cafepress only allowing my design to be 2.25 inches max? I know that can't be right. I also don't get why they take Illustrator.

My business is going to be based on color variation and so a vendor that has lots of ink and fabric colors is important. Any recommendations on which vendor provides that?

How exact can Cafepress print colors if they are hues that are not widely used?
I know I saw on spreadshirt that they only offer certain print colors. So is there no deviation from that, as in if it is a variation of a yellow then they print it normal yellow. Is Cafepress like this or do they have more options? I guess what vendors would you recommend in terms of ink and fabric variety.

Another question----can these companies print gradients? Your talking about the spectrum of hues in one color, so are they going to consider each hue a color and charge you or not---you understand what I'm saying?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2007 May 14, 2007 11:15:28 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Jerry

Default Re: Help on CafePress

For best results, save your image in .PNG format 200-300 dpi and 2000 pixels wide. You can use any color or gradient. The product on the cafepress site will also appear darker, with direct printing the product will have a lighter graphic than what is shown. This is because they consider white transparent even if you use transparency in your image.

Hope that helped.

Jerry

Old May 14th, 2007 May 14, 2007 10:33:23 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks Jerry,

How do you save to a .PNG format that is 200-300 dpi and 2000 pixels wide if I am designing in Illustrator? All I see to save as in Illustrator is PDF, EPS, and SVG, but of course I don't want to save in Illustrator.

Any more specifics on how to get to this .PNG format?

And also transparency on your design does show up when printed right?

Thanks I am new and trying to teach myself Illustrator, not very computer literate.

Old May 15th, 2007 May 15, 2007 5:58:45 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Jerry

Most of your local screen printers request ai files because ai (adobe illustrator) files aren't lossy when you resize them. .PNG files aren't either though. .ai files would probably be the choice graphic to print, but not to store millions of them on a server.

I think the reason cafepress doesn't accept .ai files is because of the file size and server space and bandwidth they require.

You can save in Illustrator as .AI,.PDF,.PDP...etc. and open them in Photoshop. Then just click image, resize and then save as .PNG. If you have Illustrator I assume you have Photoshop. If not, get it.

Transparency on white items in cp use white as transparent. On dark items, you must choose the transparency. Another great thing about .PNG format.

If your image is flat (no layers) click select all on your image or ctrl+A then copy it ctrl+c then click file, new and choose transparent background. Then paste your image ctrl+v and choose the selection wand (magic wand tool) to select the areas you want to be transparent and cut it ctrl+x. You may have to adjust the tolerance in the top bar. If the wand is selecting more than you want cut, lower the tolerance...or do it freehand which takes great skill. Just play around. Photoshop has many elements and can be confusing. Also play with the filters.

Jerry

Old May 15th, 2007 May 15, 2007 5:02:54 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,023 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
My business is going to be based on color variation and so a vendor that has lots of ink and fabric colors is important. Any recommendations on which vendor provides that?

How exact can Cafepress print colors if they are hues that are not widely used?
Remember that CafePress is using a Direct to Garment printer which prints to the shirt via an inkjet like technology. So they can mix colors just like your inkjet printer at home to get the various fades and hues.

Quote:
I know I saw on spreadshirt that they only offer certain print colors. So is there no deviation from that, as in if it is a variation of a yellow then they print it normal yellow. Is Cafepress like this or do they have more options?
It's all about the printing method being used.

Spreadshirt with their vector printing is using Flex and Flock printing. These are basically vinyl transfers which are solid sheets of material that are cut with a vinyl cutter to the shape of your design. So they are limited by the colors of the vinyl (flex) or flock media that they can purchase. They aren't "printing" as much as cutting and pressing.

Spreadshirt does offer digital printing, but it's not Direct to Garment printing as CafePress/PrintFection does. It's done with heat transfers I believe.

Quote:
I guess what vendors would you recommend in terms of ink and fabric variety.
Are you looking for any specific printing process? If you need Print on Demand, then I would try opening shops at the various Print on Demand places and buying a sample print.

That will get you familiar with their interface, pricing, and product selection, as well as giving you first hand experience with the quality of their printing.

Some to try out would be zazzle.com, cafepress.com, spreadshirt.com, printfection.com, goodstorm.com, etc.

Quote:
Another question----can these companies print gradients? Your talking about the spectrum of hues in one color, so are they going to consider each hue a color and charge you or not---you understand what I'm saying?
Again, this comes down to the type of printing each company uses. Different print methods will offer different abilities to print gradients and fades and have different methods for charging for those colors.

Most of the print on demand places I mentioned above don't charge anything extra for a full color graphic or a single color graphic. The pricing is the same whether it's just text or whether it's a full color design with fades, shadows and gradients because of the printing method.

They aren't using screen printing, which requires a charge per color.

Old May 15th, 2007 May 15, 2007 5:08:27 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,023 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Why is Cafepress only allowing my design to be 2.25 inches max? I know that can't be right. I also don't get why they take Illustrator.
Which product in which location?

In illustrator you should be able to EXPORT the file as a PNG (instead of using the Save As function). When you export the file, you should be given options as to how big you want it to be.

There are also tutorials on the CafePress site for creating graphics in the various design programs: CafePress.com : Learning Center

More tips here: Adobe Help - Forum Powered by eve community

Old April 22nd, 2014 Apr 22, 2014 5:48:40 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I think Cafe Press could be a set up. This is why: Think about it, Cafe Press is getting constant free designs shared on there. All the customer has to do is copy your design or quotes and make the design themselves and get Cafe Press to send it to them. They would get the shirt way cheaper by bypassing us designers. Cafe Press is making a fortune on selling t-shirts with free designers supplying them with designs. What are ya'll take on that? It is possible since customers are incouraged to make their own designs-they can personalize it also. Who would know if the customer bypassed paying us for the idea-and took the idea from us and just paid cafe press? Cafe Press would not have the motivation to tell the truth... See my point? They just get fake comments on how designers make money (decoy).

This is a discussion about Help on CafePress that was posted in the CafePress section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in