Checking my options: is CafePress a good option for launching a clothing line? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > CafePress
Discuss the CafePress service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" CafePress sponsored forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future CafePress members. Visit CafePress.

Checking my options: is CafePress a good option for launching a clothing line?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 30th, 2011 Oct 30, 2011 6:51:12 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Tone
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Cool Checking my options: is CafePress a good option for launching a clothing line?

So I'm on the net right, I find a site called cafepress..bet some of you heard of it. To those who have to you I asked how has it been so far was it a good investment and could it be used as a place to launch a clothing line. Also ,what the highest profit you've experienced?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2011 Oct 30, 2011 11:20:19 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default Re: Checking my options

I use zazzle. Good site, clothes a little pricey, you can set your own profits from 10-99%. Will require lots of self promotion. Also, many many different products to design.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skinbus For This Useful Post:
IMAGINMIIPASHUN (November 1st, 2011)
Old October 31st, 2011 Oct 31, 2011 10:51:27 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Ryan

Default Re: Checking my options

I have both a Printmojo store and a Spreadshirt store. Spreadshirt offers print-on-demand services like Cafe Press and Zazzle, but I found it better suited my needs than either of those. For one thing, Spreadshirt offers flex and flock printing in addition to digital transfers. Flex and flock can more approximate the durability of screenprinting, although since the process involves cutting out vinyl by hand, there are certain limitations to what can be printed with these methods. I would check out both Spreadshirt and Zazzle before signing up with Cafe Press. Of the 3 PoD sites I'm aware of, Cafe Press seems to be the more basic. As for Printmojo, you would have much higher initial costs because of the screen printing. It's more risky because you have to print batches of shirts upfront. At the time when I was getting started, I thought the quality of screen printing was worth it. I still prefer screen printing, but there are advantages to PoD. For one thing, you can put out designs as quickly as you think of them since you aren't charged for each design. It's much harder to make a profit per item, however. I'd say check all your options before committing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gorilladuck For This Useful Post:
Rodney (November 1st, 2011), Say It Loud (June 5th, 2012)

Old November 1st, 2011 Nov 1, 2011 10:54:07 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,023 Times in 3,228 Posts

Default Re: Checking my options: is CafePress a good option for launching a clothing line?

:: edited thread TITLE to be more descriptive and moved to a more appropriate section of the forum ::

Old November 3rd, 2011 Nov 3, 2011 3:14:00 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Kevin

Default Re: Checking my options: is CafePress a good option for launching a clothing line?

One thing to consider between CafePress and Zazzle is how you intend to use your designs across different types of products. CafePress is a cinch in this regard because they have a design-centric system in which all of the attributes of the design (description, keyword tags, etc.) are associated with the image you upload. You create a store section with that design and can add as many different product types as the design allows in a matter of minutes...unless you have a dialup connection. A nice thing about it is if you discover a mistake or want to improve the design later, you can upload a new one and switch it out without having to redo the whole section or blow up a product line.

For some reason, Zazzle didn't go this way. They are product-centric. If you want a t-shirt, mug, and mouse pad with the same design, you have to create each product individually and then figure out how to organize them into a store section later. Zazzle offers a Storebuilder app that you can use to quickly build a site on your own domain to display your products. It's not as flexible as DIY, but that depends on how much time you want to spend in front of a computer.

I use both services. For now, Zazzle is the one I link to from my websites because I typically only have t-shirts and bumper stickers, so multiple product types aren't much of an issue to me, plus Zazzle has an affiliate program which doubles my profit on sales from my site and gives me a referral bonus if somebody goes through my site and ends up buying from another Zazzle seller. Price-wise, they're both going to be more expensive for customers than screen print sellers that can make their products in bulk, but people seem to be paying $25 a pop on the CafePress marketplace for some of my shirts. Granted, I only get 10% of CP marketplace sales, but since my website is printed below the design on the shirt, I just look at it as advertising that pays me.

This is a discussion about Checking my options: is CafePress a good option for launching a clothing line? that was posted in the CafePress section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in