T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Business and Finance

Business and Finance Sponsor

This section of the forum is for discussing the business and finance issues of the t-shirt industry. Which business structure to use (sole proprietor, LLC, S Corp, etc), how to handle billing, where to register your business and get the proper licensing, etc.

Smartest Path To Take Right Now

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Printavo

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago May 10, 2019 7:43:21 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Smartest Path To Take Right Now

Hello everyone,

I am new to the apparel business industry. My question is since my designs are of cars and quite complex what is the best method to start out? I prefer screen printing, but the designs I was told would be better to print direct to garment. Also the local print shop wanted 18$ a shirt direct to garment which leaves me with almost no margins. tee spring wanted about 16.50. I am just quite lost and not sure where to start. I wouldn't mind screen printing my own shirts, but as half of the designs for my store are complex car designs with many colors. I hope to have a quality product but at least net 8$ a sale.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago May 13, 2019 10:14:22 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default Re: Smartest Path To Take Right Now

I would make sure your designs will sell first. Lower your risk and go with the local print shop. Try to sell them at $25-30 first and see how it goes. After 1-2mo, try selling at $20.

From there you'll know if you have a business and how better to proceed.

You can also look into heat transfers to get your cost lower if you buy a bunch from someone like FM expressions.
PatWibble likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago May 13, 2019 7:38:07 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the insight. I worry that direct to garment shirts may not hold up very well and give my brand a bad name to start? What do you think about that? Is dtg that fragile?

thanks

Old 1 Week Ago May 13, 2019 8:21:49 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

@Printavo made good suggestions about testing the market before trying to price and source for profit. It is cheaper to lose a bit of money testing the market than to lose a whole bunch of money on inventory that can't be sold.

Your designs could be screen printed; it just wouldn't be affordable at extremely low volumes. The more colors/screens required by your design, the larger your order quantity needs to be to keep the per unit cost down. Assuming your designs are essentially full color, that's a minimum of 5 screens (white underbase, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black), or 8 if doing Hexachrome seps with an underbase.

The thing with DTG is that the per unit cost is the same for the first print as it is for the millionth, and it doesn't matter how many colors there are. But these prints will be expensive compared to a decent sized order of screen prints (or screen printed transfers). And the shirts will smell like a dead cat marinated in salty vinegar ... until they are washed (an inescapable part of the process caused by the pretreatment).

There are POD fulfillment houses (Printful, Printify, CustomCat, etc) that can print and ship the shirt direct to your customer for less than your local shop quoted. Just be sure to specify a good quality ringspun shirt for the blank. DTG looks like a$$ on cheap, coarse, low-end shirts.

EDIT: DTG is not overly fragile. But it does not have the "pop" of screen printing. It is best to preview your art and/or gamut test it against the CMYK color space (design and save as RGB). This gives a truer representation of what the actual print will look like ... something to consider when making your mockups (if you use mockups).

Last edited by NoXid; 1 Week Ago at 08:27 PM..

This is a discussion about Smartest Path To Take Right Now that was posted in the Business and Finance section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in