T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Business and Finance

Business and Finance Sponsor

This section of the forum is for discussing the business and finance issues of the t-shirt industry. Which business structure to use (sole proprietor, LLC, S Corp, etc), how to handle billing, where to register your business and get the proper licensing, etc.

Tread lightly my friends...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Printor
  • 1 Post By Ripcord
  • 2 Post By Printor
  • 1 Post By Ripcord

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 12th, 2017 Apr 12, 2017 11:32:02 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jerry
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Tread lightly my friends...

I know there must be a better thread to post this in so hopefully the Mods will move or share this post….

Anyway… I get an unsolicited email from a dude named "Rich Malvin" he want's to order a 1000 Gildan 8000's. BLANK. (why not call Alpha or Sanmar yourself)? Flag number 1…

He talks big numbers on the second order if the first price is right. Flag number 2…

I ask him how he found me. He says "Facebook". Flag number 3…

After a few rounds of email's he decides he wants 2000 and he wants them "2nd day". Flag number 4….

So, I had a little time, I figured I'll F*** around with this thief….

I ask for his his name, billing address, shipping address and Credit Card Info. He gives me everything but the Credit Card Info… Flag number 5…

…. After being in business for over 30+ years, my "spidey sense" is tingling off the charts, but this could be a $1000 payday for nothing more than making a phone call. (yea, right!)...

I tell him fine, send me a PO and I'll get the order started. He says "he doesn't use PO's, this is for Charity. (yea, MINE!!) Flag number 6…

After 14 emails, back and forth, he calls me "Jeff", my name is jerry! it's been in EVERY ONE OF THE 14 EMAIL's, YOU DUMBASS!!! Flag number 7...

I finish my lunch, go back to work and the phone rings. It's "MALVIN"! Holy moly!!! Maybe this guy is legit after all!!! (bwaaahahahaha!!!)…

Rich Malvin has an EXTREMELY thick Indonesian accent. Think Microsoft help center thick, yet the call came from Maryland… Flag number 8….

So after bantering about a bit about the weather, the Redskins, the Ravens, the Orioles, (he has no idea what any of those things are) he springs it on me… Flag number 9….

…"Rich" asks what CC processor I use. I tell him Square (I don't), he tells me he refuses to deal with anyone that uses Square because of a "bad experience" he's had with them, (yea, probably saw through your BS like I did) and will only deal with me if I will use "Quickbooks" as the CC processor (somehow he knows I use Quickbooks)… Flag 10…

I decide to have more fun…

I bill him $12,000 for roughly $2000 worth of shirts…

He pays it!

IT GOES THROUGH!!! LOL!!!!

I Call Quickbooks and alert them. They couldn't care less…

So, here I am, with an extra $12,000 in my bank account (anybody want a beer? I'm buying!)…

I'll update as need.

Anyway, That's my fun for today, You guys be safe out there! Remember, if it's to good to be true, it ALWAYS IS!!!

Last edited by splathead; April 15th, 2017 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: Removed addresses per forum rules.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2017 Apr 12, 2017 12:04:45 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: Tread lightly my friends...

I hope you didn't give out any bank account numbers doing this. Also, if he used a cc you should alert the company because it's probably a stolen card and the owner doesn't know yet.

Old April 12th, 2017 Apr 12, 2017 12:46:42 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

A typical scam like this will be him trying to get you to send part of the money back to him in cash. If he has his hands on a stolen CC that will allow a $12k charge to go through and is only expecting $2k worth of shirts that's pretty stupid. And as stupid as criminals are they are usually smart enough to know how to pull a con.

My point is if he is trying to buy stolen merchandise then he could have bought $12k worth of laptops and cell phones and gotten at least 50% or more in cash after he resold the items. But he's going through all that work for t-shirts? And if he's reselling them like typically stolen items he's going to wholesale them in one lot and net a few hundred bucks.

While I think it's more than likely to be a scam somehow, it seems like there's a slight chance it could be a legit order. Granted a teeny, tiny slim chance.

The address he gave is an apartment building: https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-fields-...-silver-spring

I know they won't give out a lot of personal information but I would call them to see if they at least have a person by that name living there. Then leave your name and number and see if they call you back. For the charge to have gone through the billing address would have to have been correct. So if it's a scammer, the scammer won't be living there.

Old April 12th, 2017 Apr 12, 2017 12:55:26 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

This scam has been going on for at least the past 15 years. It's not new and obviously they get enough to fall for it to keep it going.

Old April 12th, 2017 Apr 12, 2017 1:07:47 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Jay
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Don't spend the money! Don't order the shirts! The CC company will probably pull 12K from your account as soon as they figure this out. With this scam, they usually don't want the shirts. You will probably soon get a request for something odd, like, "The customer wants a private carrier to pick up the shirts but they have to be paid in cash up front, so they need you to send $300 back to a different account." These guys are usually only after a few hundred bucks while their scam costs the victim thousands. Like the @$$ holes that will break your car window to steal some coins.
NoXid likes this.

Old April 14th, 2017 Apr 14, 2017 12:34:20 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Rick

If you end up keeping the money and feeling like investing in a tshirt designer... 😎

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to ExcelGuy For This Useful Post:
PhoenixGrafx (April 14th, 2017)
Old April 14th, 2017 Apr 14, 2017 12:51:30 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I'm a loud snorer… Don't think you want to be bunking with me in the gray bar hotel...

Old April 14th, 2017 Apr 14, 2017 4:09:09 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Neil
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

I got one of these the other day and I messed with him for awhile. He quickly agreed to my inflated price and wanted to pay extra because the shipper's credit card machine was broken and he needed cash, which I was to pay from the extra. I also could add $200 for myself as a tip. I told him this is the 21st century, why does the shipper need a machine to process a payment? I also told him to use a different shipper. Why should he accept that lame arrangement? He finally gave up and moved on. These guys don't want any shirts and there is no shipper. Once you wire them cash they're gone and the card turns out to be either fake or stolen. I don't know how they get the payment to initially go through.....
Printor likes this.

Old April 14th, 2017 Apr 14, 2017 4:51:14 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord
I got one of these the other day and I messed with him for awhile. He quickly agreed to my inflated price and wanted to pay extra because the shipper's credit card machine was broken and he needed cash, which I was to pay from the extra. I also could add $200 for myself as a tip. I told him this is the 21st century, why does the shipper need a machine to process a payment? I also told him to use a different shipper. Why should he accept that lame arrangement? He finally gave up and moved on. These guys don't want any shirts and there is no shipper. Once you wire them cash they're gone and the card turns out to be either fake or stolen. I don't know how they get the payment to initially go through.....
It's usually a stolen # that is valid, that's why it goes through. They have a hole stack of #s which is why they always start off with "which cards do you accept" Once it is figured out, the CC company can pull that amount from your account with no warning and there is nothing you can do about it. They often give a bogus PO box or shipping address. I've heard about people who drop shipped right away before getting the odd shipping request. So after the bank card took the money back, they didn't even have the shirts they paid for. Anything on the world wide interweb, or the phone, that sounds too good to be true, IS.
Ripcord and Hotpuppy like this.

Old April 15th, 2017 Apr 15, 2017 4:35:58 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printor
It's usually a stolen # that is valid, that's why it goes through. They have a hole stack of #s which is why they always start off with "which cards do you accept" Once it is figured out, the CC company can pull that amount from your account with no warning and there is nothing you can do about it. They often give a bogus PO box or shipping address. I've heard about people who drop shipped right away before getting the odd shipping request. So after the bank card took the money back, they didn't even have the shirts they paid for. Anything on the world wide interweb, or the phone, that sounds too good to be true, IS.
Yup! That's why I shared "Rich's" information. I'm sure I'm not the first guy he's called and I'm also sure I won't be the last.

Old April 15th, 2017 Apr 15, 2017 9:31:47 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGrafx
Yup! That's why I shared "Rich's" information. I'm sure I'm not the first guy he's called and I'm also sure I won't be the last.
What has happened since the $12,000 cleared? what did he ask you to do?

Old April 15th, 2017 Apr 15, 2017 10:55:55 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Neil
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

It would be fun to do some kind of a sting on some of these guys. Apparently they contact all of us and although it seems amusing, they want nothing more than to take money from us that they don't deserve. Rather offensive.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ripcord For This Useful Post:
PhoenixGrafx (April 15th, 2017)
Old July 15th, 2017 Jul 15, 2017 1:02:09 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Brian
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Ultimately, the problem with this is you get pinged for having touched a bad sale. Your bank will drop you if you have too many of these.

You can also ask for a copy of the front and back of the card and a government issued ID. That will usually get rid of the scammers.

With the back or the card you can call the issuing bank and ask them to verify cardholder participation. Just explain that it is an unusual order for your business and you would like to make sure that it is not fraudulent. Most banks will play along and call the customer and see if they authorized the charge.

I always insist on being able to get a CID and AVS match when I run a card for a MOTO. (Mail or Telelphone order)

This is a discussion about Tread lightly my friends... that was posted in the Business and Finance section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in