T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Business and Finance

Business and Finance Sponsor

This section of the forum is for discussing the business and finance issues of the t-shirt industry. Which business structure to use (sole proprietor, LLC, S Corp, etc), how to handle billing, where to register your business and get the proper licensing, etc.

LLC - DBA's (How to Keep my personal info Private)

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Leg cramps
  • 1 Post By NoXid

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 10th, 2015 Nov 10, 2015 11:44:31 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question LLC - DBA's (How to Keep my personal info Private)

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of setting up my online t-shirt shop(s) and have a couple of questions.

First off,
Let me break down what I am trying to do. Right now, unless told otherwise, I'm planning on opening an an LLC with three DBA's.

To try to make this make more sense, Let's say I want to make my main LLC name "Jalopy LLC". But I want to have three websites with completely different stuff and different names.

For instance:
1: Biblical Stuff com
2: Agnostic Stuff com
3: Patriotic stuff com

I don't want anyone to know publicly that the same company is selling these three very different brands under one umbrella.

I have set up a private PO box and also registered the urls privately. Is their any way to set these DBA's up under an LLC without this being public knowings that they could be all connected? Is LLC the best route to go since technically I haven't sold one thing yet? I live in Ohio and I would be making this all out of the basement of my house?

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2015 Nov 10, 2015 12:53:08 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

kimura-mma's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Tim
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,511 Posts

Default Re: LLC - DBA's (How to Keep my personal info Private)

You only need the LLC to operate the parent company. You can use the 3 different URL's to sell product. All the money funnels into the 1 LLC. Not sure why you would need the DBA's.

Old November 11th, 2015 Nov 11, 2015 4:31:02 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimura-mma
You only need the LLC to operate the parent company. You can use the 3 different URL's to sell product. All the money funnels into the 1 LLC. Not sure why you would need the DBA's.
Thank you for the reply. I thought it might mae it easier for tax reasons if audited.

So basically, set up an llc name and just keep track of the money that comes through the different websites. I was planning on using shopify...hmm.

Sounds simple, just want to make sure everything I'm doing ends up on the up and up with the government. I don't want to do this incorrectly and get burned.

Old November 11th, 2015 Nov 11, 2015 4:37:33 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

kimura-mma's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Tim
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,511 Posts

Have an accountant set up the business for you. They will make sure it gets done right.

Old November 11th, 2015 Nov 11, 2015 5:25:29 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Why don't you just have one web page with the three different categories? Im just saying keep it simple. Paying for and operating / managing 3 webs sites? And why would you need to LLC an online store? The main propose of an LLC is to protect the owners interest in case someone tripped in your store, or an item fell off the shelf and hit customer in the head...I cant think of why a T-shirt web site needs an LLC.

Last edited by Leg cramps; November 11th, 2015 at 05:32 AM..

Old November 11th, 2015 Nov 11, 2015 6:48:14 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg cramps
Why don't you just have one web page with the three different categories? Im just saying keep it simple. Paying for and operating / managing 3 webs sites? And why would you need to LLC an online store? The main propose of an LLC is to protect the owners interest in case someone tripped in your store, or an item fell off the shelf and hit customer in the head...I cant think of why a T-shirt web site needs an LLC.
To answer the first part.

I am doing religious & anti-religious t-shirts and decals. I feel like a lot of religious may get offended and not want to do business with a place that says "god is great" then jump a tab over and see an item that says god is not real. Would be like selling republican and democratic shirts on same page. Just feel like it could be a turn off and dampen sales when it is only 30 a month per website.

Secondly, I'm a total rook when it comes to setting up a business. I know that I will have three online stores. I will also need to be able to buy my t-shirts so i need a wholesale license. I thought I had to set something up with the gov to get moving....?

Old November 12th, 2015 Nov 12, 2015 9:21:47 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Ok I understand. All you need is a DBA (Doing Business As) at your town hall. Should be around $35 bucks. Once you have that you can get your Tax ID # (Free) but then you must file quarterly taxes. This can be done online.
c6z chick likes this.

Old November 12th, 2015 Nov 12, 2015 11:47:16 AM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

The privacy angle will depend on the laws of your state. In Oregon, you can see the name and address of whatever person/entity owns a DBA or LLC.

As to whether you need a DBA for each site ... it is my understanding that you need a DBA or LLC/Corp any time you are not selling under your own legal human name, be it on a web site or in person.

Myself, I have an LLC that owns various DBAs, as they represent incompatible brands. Also, any nut who takes offense will at least have to work a little to trace the DBA back to the LLC and to me.

The wholesale thing is all about your state/local sales tax. You need whatever permit/license your state has so that wholesalers can sell to you without any sales tax. You can get that as a sole proprietor under your own human name, an LLC, a DBA, etc ... doesn't matter what form your business takes. Oregon does not have sales tax, so I do not have such a license/permit thingy.

Old November 12th, 2015 Nov 12, 2015 2:26:40 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXid
The privacy angle will depend on the laws of your state. In Oregon, you can see the name and address of whatever person/entity owns a DBA or LLC.

As to whether you need a DBA for each site ... it is my understanding that you need a DBA or LLC/Corp any time you are not selling under your own legal human name, be it on a web site or in person.

Myself, I have an LLC that owns various DBAs, as they represent incompatible brands. Also, any nut who takes offense will at least have to work a little to trace the DBA back to the LLC and to me.

The wholesale thing is all about your state/local sales tax. You need whatever permit/license your state has so that wholesalers can sell to you without any sales tax. You can get that as a sole proprietor under your own human name, an LLC, a DBA, etc ... doesn't matter what form your business takes. Oregon does not have sales tax, so I do not have such a license/permit thingy.
Thanks for your reply!

All of this stuff is so confusing. Just want to get it right!

Old November 14th, 2015 Nov 14, 2015 5:42:12 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I was thinking that too. Who does research on t-shirt e stores?? you find a shirt and buy it. Cant see anyone tracking stuff like this. I could understand if it was all on one web site.

Old November 14th, 2015 Nov 14, 2015 6:04:37 AM -   #11 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,075 Posts

Your websites really don't need a dba. Just more cost and paperwork. A dba and llc are both flow through for taxes. Just use the llc and be done with it.

This is a discussion about LLC - DBA's (How to Keep my personal info Private) that was posted in the Business and Finance section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in