T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Business and Finance

Business and Finance Sponsor

This section of the forum is for discussing the business and finance issues of the t-shirt industry. Which business structure to use (sole proprietor, LLC, S Corp, etc), how to handle billing, where to register your business and get the proper licensing, etc.

Personal Account VS Business Account

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By binki

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 17th, 2015 Aug 17, 2015 12:45:38 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Personal Account VS Business Account

Hi! I am starting a very small online t-shirt business run at home(sole proprietorship) and was wondering if it's OK to just open up another personal bank account for expenses that I will be using for my business. Or do I HAVE to open up a business bank account? If I start by opening another personal account, then will I be able to move that to a business account when my business does get bigger? Also is there any way that I can get in trouble with the IRS with this if I open another personal account instead of a business account? I would appreciate some answers! Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2015 Aug 17, 2015 6:34:27 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,075 Posts

Default Re: Personal Account VS Business Account

You don't have to do either if you keep good books. The income will all flow to you anyway. If you want to do a separate account you can. Personal is fine. Keep in mind if you open a biz account at your bank you will be in for a ton of fees.

Last edited by binki; August 17th, 2015 at 06:51 PM..

Old August 17th, 2015 Aug 17, 2015 6:39:46 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Rachael

Had been just using a separate account but my business grew faster then I thought it would. Ended up opening a business checking account

Sent from my XT1021 using T-Shirt Forums

Old August 17th, 2015 Aug 17, 2015 8:15:27 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Business accounts typically do have more fees than personal accounts, but it varies a lot by institution.

I had personal accounts at 3 credit unions (not banks) and one of them had a No Fee business account, so that is where I setup my business account. No fee for deposits or transactions, no matter how many. No monthly account fee ($6) if average balance of $1000 or more.

Check out your local community banks and credit unions. They are likely to have much more user friendly small business accounts than your typical big bank.

In most cases you'll need a Federal EIN to setup a business account, but state laws and company policies vary on this.

Old August 19th, 2015 Aug 19, 2015 1:23:13 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Some credit card processing companies may request that you have a business checking account to accept payments on your website. Also when you want to show proof of additional income if you ever decide to apply for a loan, they may also request to see statements from a business checking account.

I think it you are planning on taking your new business serious go for a business checking.

Old September 28th, 2015 Sep 28, 2015 12:20:41 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Tyler

It does not have to be a "Business" Account but do have a separate account. You do not want to pierce the corporate vail..... Meaning keep your business and your personal things a arm lengths away. This will keep you out of legal trouble down the road if anything comes up. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Old September 28th, 2015 Sep 28, 2015 2:02:56 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Neil
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

At first I'd just keep the account you already have and account for your business income and expenses. No real reason to put different money in separate accounts. It's all your money anyway.

Old September 28th, 2015 Sep 28, 2015 4:36:48 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Rey

I was having this same discussion with my wife the other day. Think I'm going to go with the personal account for the time being.

Old September 29th, 2015 Sep 29, 2015 8:42:01 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

My friend started with business account two years ago

Old September 29th, 2015 Sep 29, 2015 3:42:07 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
You don't have to do either if you keep good books. The income will all flow to you anyway. If you want to do a separate account you can. Personal is fine. Keep in mind if you open a biz account at your bank you will be in for a ton of fees.
I agree with you. Personal account is fine as you are starting small business now. Business account has different fee which can be problem for you.

Old September 30th, 2015 Sep 30, 2015 11:29:56 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

You don't have to open a business account but you do want to keep income/expenses separate than your personal account. Also look into opening a personal and business Chase credit card to get a bunch of points to travel.

Old September 30th, 2015 Sep 30, 2015 8:21:30 PM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printavo
Y...Also look into opening a personal and business Chase credit card to get a bunch of points to travel.
+1 on this for any biz card that has points, miles or money back. They very often are unlimited for rewards where consumer cards may not be.

Just remember that a biz card does NOT have the same protections as consumer cards. This applies to statement periods, interest rate changes, fees, protection and so on AND you still have to personally guarantee payment.

Now they can extend courtesy to you but never expect them to give you a fair shake.

Old October 10th, 2015 Oct 10, 2015 10:37:24 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Marc
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

It is almost impossible to operate any business without accepting credit cards. That means you must have a merchant account to process those sales.
Check this out before you make a final decision on type of account you choose. Don't just sign up with the first merchant account you check out. Costco even has a merchant account service which may be a savings over others and beware of signing up for multiple year contracts or self-renewing contracts. Those scams are frequently thrust on the unsuspecting.
Screen Medics

Old November 6th, 2015 Nov 6, 2015 12:55:23 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can hire an Business account of agency it's possible

This is a discussion about Personal Account VS Business Account that was posted in the Business and Finance section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in