T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Business and Finance

Business and Finance Sponsor

This section of the forum is for discussing the business and finance issues of the t-shirt industry. Which business structure to use (sole proprietor, LLC, S Corp, etc), how to handle billing, where to register your business and get the proper licensing, etc.

Copyright Music Question

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 29th, 2013 May 29, 2013 1:47:31 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Copyright Music Question

Hey Folks,

I'm just wondering, if any of you have produced promotional videos for your clothing lines, businesses, etc, and if so, what did you do in terms of music?

I know there are a good number of copyright free tracks out there, but the majority of the popular songs / songs that work with the niche our line is trying to brand towards are owned by record labels, and as such copyrighted.

My question is, would it be possible to use a song on a Youtube video with one of these songs from the record labels on it? The video would obviously not be for profit, merely for promotional purposes. Also, we would include the "We do not own the rights to this song, copyright is held by..." etc to the description, as well as links to the artists pages.

Would this be acceptable from a legal stand point do you think?

Thanks in advance

Elementax

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2013 May 29, 2013 3:08:50 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Mr. P
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: Copyright Music Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementax

My question is, would it be possible to use a song on a Youtube video with one of these songs from the record labels on it? The video would obviously not be for profit, merely for promotional purposes. Also, we would include the "We do not own the rights to this song, copyright is held by..." etc to the description, as well as links to the artists pages.

Thanks in advance

Elementax
No, you cannot use the songs even with a disclaimer. YouTube will shut your video down once they find out, and they will. I had them shut one of mine down due to a copyright issue with BMI and the sound track I had on my video. But I had purchased lifetime unlimited rights to that music and more so once I showed YouTube that they released my video.

Old May 29th, 2013 May 29, 2013 7:20:00 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementax
Hey Folks,

I'm just wondering, if any of you have produced promotional videos for your clothing lines, businesses, etc, and if so, what did you do in terms of music?

I know there are a good number of copyright free tracks out there, but the majority of the popular songs / songs that work with the niche our line is trying to brand towards are owned by record labels, and as such copyrighted.

Thanks in advance

Elementax
I explored this music site(CreativeCommons) to find a track for my banner printing video. You can see the video with a track from that site here. Different song there have different stipulations on using the music but it is a great resource.

Last edited by Mtnview; May 31st, 2013 at 12:43 PM..

Old May 31st, 2013 May 31, 2013 9:25:33 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

As the others have said, you can't use the track without permission. And you're unlikely to get it as it's for a commercial product, and the use of the song suggests endorsement. I'm not sure why you'd say it's "not for profit." If you're using the song to promote your business or product, it's for profit.

While it's great to use a popular well-known music, it takes only a little more effort to find local bands with similar music. Ask for permission, and give credit (in the video, and in the YouTube description). They often will allow it at no cost for the promotion they get. It also helps to drive traffic to the video, because they'll Tweet or blog about it. You can bet Lady Gaga isn't going to mention you've copped her latest song on her Twitter account.

Old May 31st, 2013 May 31, 2013 12:44:55 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Usually on that Creative Commons site they want you to display credits in your video for the artist but some stipulations can vary so you want to check out the permissions for the track you intend to use.

This is a discussion about Copyright Music Question that was posted in the Business and Finance section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in