T-Shirt Forums banner

I'm launching a clothing line and would like to talk to others who have

[CLOTHING LINE] 
4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  kimura-mma 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am starting a line, I’ve been trying for some time now it’s been hard to launch while going to school and I know no one doing similar things that I can talk to about it. I would love to talk to others who have launched a brand that could give me some pointers.

Here’s all the info I thought might be relevant to my brand.
I’m basses in Houston Tx, I am an art student and do my own graphics, I own a (modest) screen printing set up which I will be making Plastisol heat transfers as to make shirts to order so I have little overhead, I would like to use shirts from brands such as American Apparel would love to find the best price, I’m looking to sell to shops and online to customers, I want my msrp to be roughly $20 U.S., my designs have a skater feel but lean hard on the art rather than repetition of the brand name (no rine stones and glitter either), I have roughly 13 designs I am looking to launch with (about 10 mens and 10 womens), I do not have a website yet, I believe I have the tax stuff I need but if anyone know exactly what is required for around here I would love to get a list, I have no copyrights/trademarks as of now, I have had a lot of interest in my work and sold a few graphics but no shirts yet, marketing plan is simple as for now (social networks online, word of mouth, street teaming at skate comps and local shows, sponsoring local bands and skaters and such with free merch… that’s all I have, help please).

That’s all I can think of that I believe to be pertinent, I didn’t put my company’s names because it’s not copyrighted yet (sorry guys no disrespect intended). Any tips or thoughts on what I have so far would me more than helpful thanks. –Hunter McLeod

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey man whats going on so I havnt actaully started a clothing line yet but I am in almost the exact same postion. I was using a heat press but I am looking into getting screen printing equiptment. I have sold online and also have done some convention booths, small of course. The process I would suggest for selling online would be through Big Cartel its very easy to set up and they allow you to set up your own domain name. I did all my research about it through this site, so just do tons of research and shoot me any questions you have and I will try and help you as much as possible.

#3 ·
The heat trans you have been using, are they Plastisol? I only ask because I had formally not known there was a difference and because you had said you were buying screen equipment I was wondering if you were going to make Plastisol transfers.

#5 ·
Oh I would def recommend that, any plastisol trans I have seen (done properly) look/feels just like a screened shirt and from what I hear wear the same over time. Plus you can make up a whole bunch of them in advance and just hold them unprinted so you never have to have preprinted stock which is just an unnecessary overhead cost. That’s one of the main things I will have going for me in way of profit margin along with printing myself of course.

#6 ·
I think you're going to have a hard time building a big brand if you're not pushing your brand name like you said you weren't going to do.

13 designs, in my opinion, is way too many to launch a line. It's costly and it overwhelms the potential customer looking at your shop. I'd say do 1 logo shirt for each (guys and girls) and 1 or 2 designs for each. Your logo and brand name are more important than all your art right now

#7 ·
@ElevenOTwelve

Of course I will be reping my lines name, what I didn’t want to do is post it one the internet before I have any true legal protection for it. I have been told that about the number of shirts I am looking to launch with but on the other hand I have been told anything under ten looks unprofessional and unprepared. Of course I am only starting out but when I look at leaders in the field, take billabong for instance, they have more than 30 men’s tees alone for their summer line and they put out four lines a year. Perhaps I am being over optimistic. I will give it some thought thank you. May I ask what brought you to this conclusion?

#8 ·
Dodger,

You are right on the savings if you can print your self. You have the advantage of printing on demand. However, starting a clothing line is extremely difficult if you are not marketing your brand and logo. Having a trademark takes over a year and also requires that you have product that you have made and marketed when you submit a trademark for your logo/brand. You also have coverage of your brand without trademarking your logo. The "TM" is a way to do a trademark by use. You also need to search the USPTO site to see if anyone has used your name or brand name.

One of the hardest things about starting a line is the marketing and getting the visibility you want. Unless you have a huge budget you are going to have to do grass roots marketing. I think i would just start printing and posting as soon as you can. You have basic rights for your artwork by default and this will be protected by posting and showing your work. This way you have a timeline of when you started using your brand and challenge anyone if they decided to try and copy it.

Anyways, that is just my food for thought. I been here and still working on building up the brand I have. Takes tons of time and work :)

Anthony

#9 ·
Hello Anthony.
Thank you for the input, so if I understand it right anyone can put the TM on their apparel and they are somewhat protected is this correct? And as far as after you have received a federally registered TM that’s when you get to use the R with the circle? (Forgive the layman terminology) However copyrighting has a wholly different set of rules and regulations, and can be used on works of art such as graphic and logos I believe. This will most likely be the path I will be taking seeing as how it is far faster and cheaper.

#15 ·
so if I understand it right anyone can put the TM on their apparel and they are somewhat protected is this correct?
By using the TM symbol, you are simply making the claim that you believe you own the rights to it. But it doesn't give you any actual legal protection. As you continue to use the mark in commerce, you can gain common law trademark, but again, there isn't much legal protection there. It is still possible someone else out there owns a similar mark and can prevent you from registering yours. The only way to get legal protection, is to federally register.

This is just a personal preference, but I wouldn't use the TM on the apparel itself. Use it on the hangtag, neck label, website, etc. But I think it looks tacky when it's in the shirt design.

However copyrighting has a wholly different set of rules and regulations, and can be used on works of art such as graphic and logos I believe. This will most likely be the path I will be taking seeing as how it is far faster and cheaper.
Copyrighting a graphic is fine, but don't rely on copyright protection for your logo.

#10 ·
Yeah,

You can only use the R once it is a registered Trademark. Copyrights are a totally different thing. But those are easy to submit. And you still have copyrights when you make your own art. So in reality you can do everything without registering and submitting copyrights. I mean it is good to have as a double insurance policy for your company. But for now I don't even think it is necessary.

I started by registering my LLC and then DBAs. That way I could do business using my brand name.

Anthony

#11 ·
Very interesting, well Anthony of you wouldn’t mind, I would like to know exactly what all did you need to get in order to get selling and do you also sell to shops in addition to your online store? Also where is your business based, and did you choose to incorporate?

#12 ·
Very interesting, well Anthony of you wouldn’t mind, I would like to know exactly what all did you need to get in order to get selling and do you also sell to shops in addition to your online store? Also where is your business based, and did you choose to incorporate?
Well I actually got my first client before I ever started printing. But my clothing line is secondary to my commercial printing. Starting a brand takes money. And since I am doing this more as an extracuricullar activity I decided to do the commercial printing basically to pay for my brand. So I would say 80 % of my sales are from commercial and 20% of my sales are from my Brand online. I hope to flip this around but when I can do an order of 100 tshirts and make a nice profit in a day I much rather do that than sell a couple shirts online.

Yes I would love my own brand to take off but it is still a work in progress. I have gotten it up on Vh1 and it will be back on there soon. But I just don't have the funds to do the right PR. So until then I am working on the commercial printing and paying for my Brand.

Anthony

#18 ·
I think you're off to a great start! I would also apply for a sales tax license from your city and state, as well as a EIN/FEIN from the federal government.

If you plan on selling your shirts for around $20 and you plan on selling them to other retailers, you will have to sell it to them for around $10. If you're paying $5 for an American Apparel shirt and have some screenprinting costs (even though you're doing it yourself), your margins to sell to other retailers will be really low ($4 or so per shirt). You'd have to sell a lot of shirts to make a good living when you're only making $4 per shirt.

So, I would re-think your pricing, or buy cheaper shirts or only sell directly to the consumer (at least until your qty's go up).

I hope this helps!

#19 ·
well heres a fairly easy question that i'm sure will have no end to possible answers.
Do you (or anyone) know of a brand that sell slim or fashion fit tees similar that those from American Apparel for a better price? I do like the feel of the A.A. shirts but i'm more about the fit really, I want them to be slightly fitted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.