How would I get a loan to open a physical store for my website? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Business and Finance

Business and Finance Sponsor

This section of the forum is for discussing the business and finance issues of the t-shirt industry. Which business structure to use (sole proprietor, LLC, S Corp, etc), how to handle billing, where to register your business and get the proper licensing, etc.

How would I get a loan to open a physical store for my website?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 12th, 2009 Dec 12, 2009 12:59:21 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Armand
Location: Currently in FL but moving back to OR when I get the money.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default How would I get a loan to open a physical store for my website?

I've been trying for a while to open up a physical store for my shirts, but my credit really sucks.

What I want to do is open a store that will not only market my merchandise, but also market stuff from third parties. I will not be manufacturing/printing the shirts myself, I'll get a third party to do that.

It will also include a hangout with vending machines and coin-operated video games, and be open 24/7.

Anyone have any pointers? Where could I get a loan for it? I was thinking that I'll have a better chance if a lender sees that I already have a functional company on the Internet, is that true?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
-Armand

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2009 Dec 12, 2009 1:19:35 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Katrina
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: How would I get a loan to open a physical store for my website?

Bad credit...a loan from a bank just won't happen. Right now even with good credit will not make it happen. President Obama is meeting on Monday (Dec. 14, 2009) with Bank CEO's to talk about why they are not lending to small businesses.
And forget about the SBA.
If you can find a silent partner or an investor would be the best way to go until the Banks loosen the purse strings.

Katrina

The Following User Says Thank You to veedub3 For This Useful Post:
PCBScotty (December 14th, 2009)
Old December 12th, 2009 Dec 12, 2009 1:54:37 PM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Charles
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,353 Posts

Katrina is correct I believe...with poor credit the chances of getting a loan from ANY bank or financial institution is some where between zero and minus 10. With todays economy it ain't gonna happen. Sorry if we sound crass but facts are facts. Maybe a relative or investor...but even then doubtful..

Having a functional company on the internet does nothing...anyone can put up a website and say it is successful/functional..

Also you do not mention what you bring to the table...any designs, equipment, customers etc...? Remember the T-Shirt business is one way to lose your A** in short order if one orders too much equipment, gets lease with larger monthly payment and no firm business. I know of at least 10 who have folded this year

Old December 12th, 2009 Dec 12, 2009 8:57:10 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

you will be having a hard time since you have a bad credit reputation.
maybe try to cleat up things that you need to clear.

Old December 13th, 2009 Dec 13, 2009 2:59:53 AM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

kimura-mma's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Tim
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand Audrey
Anyone have any pointers?
As already stated, bad credit makes this very very difficult given the current economy. That said, start putting together a business plan. Do you have a location already in mind? What is the rent or purchase price? Figure out how much inventory it will take to fill the store. Start pricing out your production costs of your merchandise and wholesale costs of third party merchandise. Figure out the costs of the vending machines and video games. Open 24/7, you need employees, insurance, etc. Figure out those costs. Then put together a profit analysis and how you plan to increase profits over the first 5 years. Be as detailed as possible.

Quote:
Where could I get a loan for it?
Start with banks and lending institutions. Then look into private investors.

Quote:
I was thinking that I'll have a better chance if a lender sees that I already have a functional company on the Internet, is that true?
Not really.

Old December 16th, 2009 Dec 16, 2009 6:22:43 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Katrina

This is what came of the meeting with Pres. Obama and the CEO's of the Banks

"Banks knew they had little to gain from a meeting with President Obama. Three of the top CEO's failed to even show up for the meeting. (But when they had their hand out asking for money nothing could stop them from attending) Yet banks continue to plan big Executive bonuses, tighten lending, raise interest rates and increase other costs to the public, all while spending $344 million in lobbying fees in the first three quarters of this year to fight off attempts to strengthen regulation of the financial industry.
On Monday, they not only snubbed the president, they snubbed the American public.

Our only hope is that Congress will take this slight as a sign that it's time for them to step up to the plate and pass strong legislation to protect Main Street from Wall Street excesses."

A Bank loan for your purpose in this economy I feel just won't happen. Your best bet is a private lender.

Katrina

The Following User Says Thank You to veedub3 For This Useful Post:
kimura-mma (December 16th, 2009)
Old December 16th, 2009 Dec 16, 2009 6:03:27 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Marc

You may want also want to consider a business plan. While you may not need it, if you had one ready should something come up, it could be helpful. Any lender is going to want to know what type of profits you plan on making. What makes them want to invest in your company? What types of returns could they expect. Things like that.

Old December 17th, 2009 Dec 17, 2009 6:11:49 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Don

Failure to plan is a plan for failure.

Take to heart the posts that suggest a serious business plan. When someone (bank or otherwise) is considering investing in a venture the first thing they will look at is credit history. Your credit history is an indication of how you handle finances - like it or not. Your best bet is to grow the internet business while working on a solid business plan and also getting your personal credit in line. If there are incorrect things in your credit report, have them removed. If the info in your credit report is right, then start taking action to not fall into the same trap again. If your credit report reflects derogatory info that is the result of some uncontrolable event (health issue is a common one), be prepared to tell that story and even consider contacting the derogatory reporters to see what you can do to "settle" with them to get it removed from your records.

Unfortunately, we as Americans often feel entitled to a shot at the "American dream", even if we have not taken the actions required to earn that shot. A couple of years of solid personal finance management can position you to be a prime candidate for a loan at that time. Maybe not what you want to hear, but better to be real about it than beat around the bushes.

Good luck in your pursuit.

Old December 17th, 2009 Dec 17, 2009 5:44:23 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jerry

So true about the credit and business plan piece. I've been working on my business for about 9 months now ensureing that it is realistic to my myself and appealing to an angel investor.

Old December 19th, 2009 Dec 19, 2009 5:24:16 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Ben

Do yourself a favor and save up to do it with cash. You said you've got bad credit. I certainly don't know how it got bad to begin with (maybe medical or divorce), but it doesn't sound like going into debt has been good to you so far. I know it's tough, but you've got to start slow, save up and pay as you go.

Best of luck to you.

BB

Old December 21st, 2009 Dec 21, 2009 12:25:45 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Sammy

find a good friend of yours with good credit, use him for a co-signer.

This is a discussion about How would I get a loan to open a physical store for my website? that was posted in the Business and Finance section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in