[Brother GTX] Brother GTX White Head Woes - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Brother
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Brother GT-541 and Brother GT-782 DTG owners.

[Brother GTX] Brother GTX White Head Woes

Like Tree4Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 1st, 2018 Nov 1, 2018 3:18:34 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Geno
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Brother GTX White Head Woes

I have been in the DTG business for three years. I have an Epson F2000 and an Epson F2100. I have been a screen printer since the early eighties.

As I get better at the whole DTG thing and the word gets out to the public that I offer DTG printing I have been moving more and more of my screen printing over to DTG printing. I would say that now I about half of my business is printed on my DTG machines now compared to maybe 20% a year ago. I have a manual and an automatic press. Big jobs go to the automatic always.

After hearing a lot about the GTX when it came out and having great success with my F2000 and the F2100 that I bought in January I wanted to add another DTG and decided to purchase an GTX. I know Epson and I know Brother so I figured that adding a Brother GTX would be a new endeavor. This would surely increase my DTG output (which it has) and I was eager to try out a brand new machine. In February I took possession of my new GTX.

I'll have to say that printing with three DTG's puts me in the ballpark on speed at least with one manual screen printing machine and I am much more eager to DTG print than to screen print any day.

On to my GTX. It has been printing perfectly since the day I bought it. It has it's strong points that it shines at as well do the Epson's which I am very happy with.

A couple of weeks ago after putting in two new white ink pouches on a Friday, the following Monday I could not get a decent white ink nozzle check. I have always been on top of all maintenance expectations with all of my DTGs so my machine is pretty much always spotless and well taken care of.

Talking with Brother:

I called my sales rep and explained the problem and he had a Brother tech called me the next day. I explained my situation to him and he emailed me a number of things to try to get the white head back up and printing properly. Normal cleans, Super Cleans, cap cleanings, new head cap, flash firings and so on. No luck.

After trying again over the next two days I then called the Brother tech line and a second tech called me back with pretty much the same suggestions which I tried all over again. No luck at all. It was Wednesday by this time and he said that he would overnight me a new warrantied head assembly and also email me instructions on how to put it in. No problem. I should have it by 9:00 am.

Thursday 9:00 am came and went. No new head assembly. No install instructions.

Friday came and went. Same thing. Nothing.

I called the Brother tech line the following Monday and left a message with my info now for the third time.

No one called me back.

The last tech I talked to later asked me in a return email if I had sent him all of the info that he had first requested. His email claimed that he never got it. Strange how all of that "lost" info was right there in his "reply" response. I sent him all of the info again in the same email again anyway.

Still no phone call. No email response and worse, no head assembly or instrutions.

I waited a few more days to see if the new head would show up but nothing so I again called the Brother tech line on Monday. This time I was pretty damn hot and I wasn't so nice about it all anymore. This time I quickly received a call from a third tech (nice fellow) who apologized for all of the trouble and assured me that he would send out the new replacement head and emailed instructions.

Head showed up on Tuesday as well as the instructions. Finally I could get started.

Replacing the head was all straight forward and took all of ten minutes. I also replaced the white rubber head cap with a new silicon one. Talked with yet a fourth tech on the phone and I did everything that he said that I needed to do with a new head install. Head cleanings, super cleans, and so on.

Here it is Thursday and I am still not getting a good white nozzle check. My tech guy (who is very nice as all of them have been) tells me that we just need to "punch the ink through". He said he would call me first thing this morning but I never heard from him.

After four more Super Cleans, three more regular cleans and three more white head flash firings I have blown through my $475 worth of new white ink pouches (that I haven't printed one damn shirt with) and I still have a Brother GTX that I cannot print with. Tomorrow will be three weeks that it has been down.

I will say that my fourth tech said he will send me some more white ink (thank goodness).

This is where I am at right now. All very very frustrating indeed. I just wanted to share my experience as sort of a relief valve. I am sure it will come to a good conclusion. At least that is what I am hoping for.

I'm starting to wonder if this isn't an Anajet DTG in disguise and my Brother tech line is being redirected.

OLD HEAD NOZZLE CHECK

Yeah, those couple of white lines below my color nozzle check IS my white nozzle check. Printed perfect on Thursday. Took a dive on Friday.

NEW HEAD NOZZLE CHECK

NEW HEAD NOZZLE CHECK AFTER TONS OF SUPER CLEANS:

Bank 1 out of 4, still empty.

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; November 1st, 2018 at 03:45 PM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2018 Nov 2, 2018 11:23:22 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Default Re: Brother GTX White Head Woes

Update.

My fourth tech hollered at me today and my white ink showed up too.

After a new white ink install through the lcd panel and a new head cap rubber replacement I figured out the trouble with the W1 (one of two - W2-3-4) bad nozzle check problem.

After a head cap leak down test on W1 (which didn't work at all) I discovered a pinched drain tube under the white ink head cap base. With a little adjustment I am now up and running.

Note - all of the techs that I did talk to over the three week ordeal were all very easy to talk to and very nice.

The Following User Says Thank You to gatorGRAFIX For This Useful Post:
api (November 2nd, 2018)
Old November 3rd, 2018 Nov 3, 2018 12:30:37 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Glad to hear it worked out for you. As for me, I purchased a dtg machine a few years ago with no luck. I done all correct maintenance and had the head replaced x5 in a space of 1 year, also my brother being a electronic tech head, rebuilt the printer a number of times and no luck. With me the white inks just kept clogging up and my brother said, the cmyk is ok but not the white, so the white ink is just no good for the heads, so I gave up.

Old November 5th, 2018 Nov 5, 2018 11:38:47 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Well. It seems that I am back to square one. Printed good on Friday. Bad nozzle check on Monday. Three normal head cleans and a super clean on my white channels. There goes my white ink down the drain once again!

I am now in my fourth week with a downed GTX that I cannot print anything with. @$#[email protected]#[email protected]#

Unbelievable!

UPDATE: One of the four small tubes that connect to the underside of the head cap base slipped off. Located the problem, slipped it back on and now I am back in business once again.

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; November 6th, 2018 at 10:12 AM..

Old November 6th, 2018 Nov 6, 2018 10:49:55 PM -   #5 (permalink)
CzT
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorGRAFIX
Well. It seems that I am back to square one. Printed good on Friday. Bad nozzle check on Monday. Three normal head cleans and a super clean on my white channels. There goes my white ink down the drain once again!

I am now in my fourth week with a downed GTX that I cannot print anything with. @$#[email protected]#[email protected]#

Unbelievable!

UPDATE: One of the four small tubes that connect to the underside of the head cap base slipped off. Located the problem, slipped it back on and now I am back in business once again.
Why have you not updated your driver to 2.8?

Old November 7th, 2018 Nov 7, 2018 10:10:21 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Phone tech told me that 2.7 was the latest and it seemed to be when I updated three weeks ago. Guess I'll have to take another look.

Old November 14th, 2018 Nov 14, 2018 6:25:52 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: James

Geno,
Damn buddy that sucks, I had a head go bad about a month ago and it took brother over 3 weeks to send one out to me and it took roughly 10 mins like you said to switch it out. When I was talking to the Brother tech on the phone he let slip there is a secret menu. Now I have used various brother machines in the past and they all had a secret menu. The GTX is the same and you can get to it using the same key combo as the GT3 printer. There are a ton of options in there that will help you narrow down what may or may not be wrong. I would say jam a piece of cardboard in the safety off when the cover is open and go into the menu and start playing with various drain cleanings using some cleaning solution. For me I been using the firebird GTX cleaning solution which seems to work a heck of a lot better than Brothers (I needed a new head but i also had a semi clogged part on the capping station) and it cleared it right up. I don't know if this will help you any but I was able to get it up an running. I also heard depending on the version of printhead in the machine certain version seem to die after a few 1000 prints. I have heard that Brother used the market as a huge beta test on what version of printhead to use.

Old November 14th, 2018 Nov 14, 2018 10:04:43 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Thanks Ghost. The tech walked me through the secret menu where I had to perform a couple of leak down tests on the capping station as well as other cleaning options and stuff.

My latest problem turned out to be a tube under the capping station assembly base (one of four) had slipped off a couple of days after I had installed the new head assembly and rubber insert. I am up and running finally.

I'll have to say that changing the head was simple and straight forward. A word to GTX owners. Brother doesn't really say a lot about the rubber insert in the head capping station when it comes to maintaining it.

With the GTX the formulation of the white ink is such that when it dries it dries rock hard. My capping station rubber over time had a build up of hardened white ink that may have contributed to my problem. I tried a lot of different things but I couldn't seem to keep it completely clean.

I had to replace the head, disassemble the head capping station assembly and replace the rubber insert. All very easy to do.

One more thing, in an email from one of the techs it appeared that my GTX head assembly fell within a range of serial numbers that have shown to be defective. Each GTX head has it's own serial number and mine was a GXC head.

email screenshot;

Photo of my old GTX head;

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; November 14th, 2018 at 10:09 AM..

Old November 14th, 2018 Nov 14, 2018 1:30:43 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I had the same version fail too it was a 9 now I have a 12 so maybe there is more credibility to brother using the market as a giant beta tester. I had a good tech come out and install the printer when we bought it and he really stressed making sure all the rubber pieces on the capping station are in good shape and ink free. Thats what led me to use the Firebird GTX cleaning solution it actually took off the ink where the brother stuff took me 45mins of scrubbing to do the same thing it now takes me less than 5 mins to do.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ghoster32111 For This Useful Post:
gatorGRAFIX (November 14th, 2018)
Old November 14th, 2018 Nov 14, 2018 2:40:59 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

I'll have to try that. The GTX just laughs at the Brother cleaning fluid no doubt.

Old November 19th, 2018 Nov 19, 2018 7:41:43 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Do you use the firebird cleaning solution in the maintenance container on the side of the machine also?

Old November 19th, 2018 Nov 19, 2018 7:49:24 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusa
Do you use the firebird cleaning solution in the maintenance container on the side of the machine also?
I sure do, it makes a huge difference in cleaning up the machine

Old March 19th, 2019 Mar 19, 2019 7:25:43 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Considering you have both a f2100 and a gtx I was curious of your opinion on the following:

Which has better print quality for small detail and image sharpness?

Which printers ink seems to be thicker and more opaque?

If you had to use for spot color printing which printer would you use? Also which printer seems to have the better color gamut range to hit to brighter colors like teal qnd neons?

Which printers ink seems to be less sensitive amd print better on 50 50 blends?

Which printer seems to be less finicky when having not printed for a few days?

Which has an easier maintenance schedule from your standpoint?

If you had to buy another pri ter which would it be?

These questions would really help me out a lot lol. Thanks!

Old March 20th, 2019 Mar 20, 2019 9:38:36 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyboyy88
Which has better print quality for small detail and image sharpness?
The F2100 does offer a better dpi range over the GTX when it comes to printing and it does seem a little sharper to me at times but after all, you are printing on t-shirts which compared to a piece of paper might as well be a window screen.

Quote:
Which printers ink seems to be thicker and more opaque?
I don't know if there is a difference in the ink itself, it at comes down the manipulation of the ink application through what ever DTG printing software that you are using. I find that Epson's Garment Creator has a lot more tweaking ability than the Brother Graphics Lab program but with third party software that might just equal things out between the two.

Quote:
If you had to use for spot color printing which printer would you use? Also which printer seems to have the better color gamut range to hit to brighter colors like teal qnd neons?
I'd say both printers hit the mark about the same. Each machine has it's own personality. Some prints look better on the F2100 while others look better on the GTX. It may all be in how a particular piece of artwork is manipulated within the DTG's printing software.

Quote:
Which printers ink seems to be less sensitive amd print better on 50 50 blends?
Niether. Your success printing on 50/50 is how well experienced you are with pretreatment application onto 50/50 garments. While I used to shy away from DTG printing on 50/50 tees I don't anymore. I print on them very successfully all of the time with Epson pretreatment used on both machines.

Quote:
Which printer seems to be less finicky when having not printed for a few days?
Since I only let my DTG's sit unused for no more than maybe a week a time (shake ink carts, boot up, nozzle check, head cap clean, boot down on the F2100 -- on the GTX shake the ink carts, usually have to boot down and do a wiper clean, boot back up and do a nozzle check) neither seems to be more finicky than the other really once you learn how each machine likes to be treated.

Quote:
Which has an easier maintenance schedule from your standpoint?
In my opinion the F2100 shines in this department.

Although the GTX seems to be advertised as "ready to go" untouched every morning when you are ready to print (because of it's wet capping station and also that it is NEWVER to be powered off) this usually isn't the case.

The F2100 does take about ten minutes to boot up every day (which kinda sucks a little) but after a nozzle check it is ready to go. Cleaning the head cap at the end of each print day is a two or three minute task at best and all you do is rinse off the spit filter and turn it off ready to print another day. It needs a new wiper roller and a few filters about every three months or so ($100) depending on how much printing that you are doing. The inserted cleaning carts seem to last forever and a day before needing replaced.

The GTX on the other hand seems to constantly need attention. It is always asking for something. Auto cleans, filter replacements, "around the head" cleanings, and the cleaning solution tank top offs. A lot of these things require the GTX to be booted down, task performed, booted back up, auto clean and auto ink circulation and then the nozzle checks. This can get pretty annoying in my opinion. Not to mention the fact that the GTX slings white around pretty bad under the GTX hood and the Brother white ink dries so rock solid that the Brother cleaning solution will not dissolve it very well if at all. On the minimum it asks for this "big cleaning" once a week.

Under the hood of my Epson it tends to stay VERY clean and any spattering of ink cleans up with Epson solution in mere seconds. Even if it has been sitting this way for a while.

To me the F2100 wins this one hands down.

Quote:
If you had to buy another printer which would it be?
Well, even though I really like my GTX and I use it in conjunction with my F2000 and my F2100 and I run all three machines off of one Mac which is really cool. I would buy another F2100 as my next DTG. Now, I will say that I cut my DTG teeth on an F2000 so I could be a bit Epson bias.

I really like the newest Epson GC software and the maintenance on the DTG is a breeze. Also ease of use is excellent. The Epson warranty plan is top notch too and that is something to consider when buying a new machine.

I would like to add that when I had money burning a hole in my pocket, ready to buy a Brother machine the whole "buying process" took over maybe two months or so for me. I had to go through four "sales" people and kept getting over inflated price quotes from a few until I finally got hooked up with one rep in my area that seemed pretty easy to deal with. You would think I was at my local new car dealer trying to buy this DTG.

If I asked for a quote for a GTX and an extra set of inks I would get a price quote that included all kinds of things that I did not ask for that included a heat press, more ink than I asked for, extra supplies and so on. My Bother GTX buying experience was not very good.

Also, my Brother GTX had a clogged white head after about 7 months of ownership. While it was covered under warranty I again had to go through a chain of different reps and numerous emails that included uploading iPhone pics over and over and unreturned emails and phone call messages before I was finally sent a new warrantied GTX head that I had to install myself. My GTX sat there unusable for over three weeks while my Epson machine just kept chugging along.

It was all very very frustrating. I know that I broke a few thing that I angrily hurled across the room of my office (all the while making up new cuss words at the top of my voice) during the whole ordeal.

Epson would have sent a hired "F2100 Epson trained" tech to my business at their expense to fix my F2100 within two days at absolutely no charge to me what so ever.

~ OK, that's all I got.

Your best bet is to do all of the research that you can and contact Brother and Epson dealers and find out which choice is probably the best for you.
nbfox likes this.

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; March 21st, 2019 at 08:22 AM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatorGRAFIX For This Useful Post:
api (March 21st, 2019), Rossomeness (March 20th, 2019)
Old March 20th, 2019 Mar 20, 2019 3:36:25 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

First of all, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorGRAFIX
I know that I broke a few thing that I angrily hurled across the room of my office (all the while making up new cuss words at the top of my voice) during the whole ordeal.
Secondly, I think your post should be posted in the DTG section as a Brother GTX vs Epson F2100/2000 comparison. Not everyone has had the extensive experience on both machines like you have. VERY informative. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

-Travis
gatorGRAFIX likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rossomeness For This Useful Post:
gatorGRAFIX (March 21st, 2019)

This is a discussion about Brother GTX White Head Woes that was posted in the Brother section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in