[Brother GTX] Brother GTX White Head Woes - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Brother
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Brother GT-541 and Brother GT-782 DTG owners.

[Brother GTX] Brother GTX White Head Woes

Like Tree4Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 20th, 2019 Mar 20, 2019 3:51:44 PM -   #16 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have been doing a lot of research on these printers and the one thing that bothers me about the Epson is that out of warranty you can not fix it yourself. Epson will not sell you parts at all. The only way to fix it is to pay very high travel time and hourly rate for a technician to come fix your machine. If you could buy a part and install it yourself you could save hundreds of dollars. I realize that a lot of you out there aren’t mechanical enough to install a circuit board, dampers, a printhead, etc. But because I am I would like that option.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2019 Mar 20, 2019 4:19:53 PM -   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Mark

I have been doing a lot of research on these printers and the one thing that bothers me about the Epson is that out of warranty you can not fix it yourself. Epson will not sell you parts at all. The only way to fix it is to pay very high travel time and hourly rate for a technician to come fix your machine. If you could buy a part and install it yourself you could save hundreds of dollars. I realize that a lot of you out there aren’t mechanical enough to install a circuit board, dampers, a printhead, etc. But because I am I would like that option.

Old March 21st, 2019 Mar 21, 2019 8:03:34 AM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Geno
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Brother GTX White Head Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrench
While I will admit that Epson would like for you to go that route when fixing an "out of warranty" F2000 or F2100 that simply is not the case. There are third party companies now that sell F2000 and F2100 parts to the GP and I have seen in the Epson forum where there are folks actually fixing their own machines because of this.

Check out the forum for yourself and see. The two most replaced items that I have read about so far are print heads and dampeners. All of the info and software for the "do it yourselfer" can now be found online too.

I will say however that replacing the head on the GTX was a breeze. I am a big hot rod guy and this seemed like just any other "tinker's" project to me. In my opinion the reason that the GTX head failed (besides being on a defective part number list) was the slow deterioration of the head cap rubber that the head parks in. I never noticed it until I took it off (oopps! too late!) while installing my new Brother head. Again, that is my opinion.

Brother sent me some new "redesigned" rubber pieces for my GTX (they looked exactly the same to me) and they also were easily installed. All GTX owners should keep a close eye on this. Cheap easy thing to keep up with and if you don't it could get real expensive real quick like.

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; March 21st, 2019 at 08:11 AM..

Old March 29th, 2019 Mar 29, 2019 7:30:37 AM -   #19 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

This is probably the best Epson/Brother comparison post I’ve seen. I’m currently on the market for DTG after going to ISS last week in Atlantic City. I do screen printing, have a OkiData 920w and sub out embroidery.

Brother and Epson both make great claims but after this real world review I’m leaning towards Epson and it’s a few thousand dollars cheaper.

Is there any advice you could give for a noob in the DTG game? Only experience I have is working with Printful and I spent a little over $4000 with them last year
gatorGRAFIX likes this.

Old March 29th, 2019 Mar 29, 2019 10:23:08 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Well, my advise I guess would be to try and master pretreating tees. That is half the game. You could have the baddest DTG in all of the land and it won't do you any good if you are printing on a garbage foundation of poorly sprayed pretreatment. Takes a while to master but you'll get it.

PS - Gildan 100% cotton tees LOVE pretreatment and you should never put down too much in one application. Two pretreatment passes (with a heat press between them) is much better than an over saturated t-shirt.

Stick with the Garment Creator software that comes with the Epson if you choose to buy one. It is very good, especially if you are a Mac guy that absolutely despises Win10. Creative Lab for the GTX is OK but not great.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Just because someone in this forum (including me) recommends doing something one way that "one way" may not work for you for any number of reasons. Use advise as a base point and deviate from it as you see fit depending on your own results.

Don't be scared to sell bulk tees at less than the $24 that every online DTG company sells their tees for. They usually sell one tee at a time. No customer is going to pay $24 a piece for a 48 shirt order. I hear DTG dealers telling "noobs" all of the time that they can sell their DTG printed tees for $25 each all day long (yeah, right). That rule doesn't usually apply when selling a group order. Find your own way.

Keep up with what a site like Custom Ink charges their customers. They are usually way more expensive than local folks and that can be pointed out to customers as how high t-shirts can cost them if bought online.

That's all I can think of right now and these are only my opinions.

Thanks for the good words, I appreciate it.

Good luck no matter which machine you buy. I am not trying to push one over the other. This is just the way things are for me.

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; March 29th, 2019 at 10:31 AM..

Old March 30th, 2019 Mar 30, 2019 5:16:11 AM -   #21 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank for the response on this and tips. I was looking in working with Equipment Zone and getting the pretreatment machine as well instead of doing it manually. I had some other questions and would love to email you if that’s possible. I’m in PA.

Old April 1st, 2019 Apr 1, 2019 9:27:35 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Sure, just PM me.

Old April 5th, 2019 Apr 5, 2019 2:29:41 PM -   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: Rami

I really appreciate your effort to this subject, i was looking all over the internet for a comparison between Epson f2100 and the Gtx. you really made it easier for me.
If i may ask you a couple of questions.

What about the ink consumption between the two printers?
Inks Price and shelf life?

I would appreciate your answers
gatorGRAFIX likes this.

Old April 9th, 2019 Apr 9, 2019 8:12:35 AM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

I cannot really say about ink consumption between the two. Honestly they seem about the same to me. Cost for Brother inks is about $435 US for a two pack of 700ml white ink carts + shipping while a two pack of Epson 600ml white ink carts comes in at around $407 US out the door.

Brother ink has a 90 day shelf life I am pretty sure while Epson has a two year shelf life. I have heard that in some cases Epson has swapped out "new" expired ink carts for fresh new ones if you ask nicely but don't hold me to that.

Old November 27th, 2019 Nov 27, 2019 2:38:06 PM -   #25 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Hello gatorGRAFIX, I am having the exact same issues and appreciate your posts. I've replaced the white head, and nothing has printed except for w1. Any other issues that came up that you resolved with the white?

Old December 2nd, 2019 Dec 2, 2019 8:55:51 AM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Well, I would try a pump leak down test that checks the suction. You can Google it. It is very easy too do.

Old January 7th, 2020 Jan 7, 2020 11:26:33 AM -   #27 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Phil

Gator, Big thanks for your honesty & generosity of info on this thread.
Epson & Brother are the 2 big boys of ink selling. INK is their thing, so hopefully, they should know how to design and manage machines that work well with their INK product.

In the UK, TWO Epson 2100 can be had for about 25% more than the cost of a GTX, giving backup & security. (and spare parts when out of warrenty)

We might not have super high volumes, but, we might not..... and machines might sit .... for .. a ... bit ...

Any concluding thoughts?
Thanks

PS - how do you dry/cure your creatings? - heat press / tunnel / combo ?

Old January 8th, 2020 Jan 8, 2020 9:19:57 AM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Thanks and no concluding thoughts really. They are both really great DTG printers that are a lot alike in some ways and very different in other ways.

UI have found that my Geo Knight heat press is still the best option for me on heating DTG printed tees. I am a long time screen printer with a nice tunnel dryer and I have experimented using it to not only cure printed tees but also with drying pretreated shirts.

When drying pretreated shirts you still have to press the shirt flat before you print it to keep the fibers from sticking up which really defeats the purpose of using the tunnel dryer and the factory recommended drying times for DTG printed tees in a tunnel dryer are ridiculously long if you ask me and just not worth it.

With a screen printed tee I find that if I get the shirt good and hot at around 350/370 degrees our so for about 45 seconds I get a nice full cure of the plastisol ink. Not for DTG printed tees and you should also be using a dryer with an integrated air flow system (which I do have) to properly cure the water based inks. This means long long times in the dryer (IMHO) for a proper cure of DTG printed tees.

The nice sheen that I get using my teflon sheets over and over work great for me.

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 30, 2020 7:54:04 AM -   #29 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Any updated thoughts on the GTX and F2100? We are looking at both. Got burned on the Anajet a few years back and trying to avoid another nightmare.

This is a discussion about Brother GTX White Head Woes that was posted in the Brother section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in