[Brother GTX] Best Pretreatment to use with GTX? - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Brother
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Brother GT-541 and Brother GT-782 DTG owners.

[Brother GTX] Best Pretreatment to use with GTX?

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 21st, 2018 Nov 21, 2018 7:27:46 AM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: James
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Best Pretreatment to use with GTX?

Well this is a simple one that is not the GTX optimized pretreat. have no idea what that is. I have done over 10 washes with the GTX optimized pretreat and it has been fine. I have had zero customer complaints about it washing out. That is like using diesel fuel in your gas tank instead of gasoline and have it die 2 miles down the road. Firebird offers several pretreats each for a specific thing and printer. The GTX pretreat works awesome on the GTX because that is what it is for, I do not expect the GTX optimized pretreat to work on say an M&R M-link.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2018 Nov 21, 2018 11:42:28 AM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Geno
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I have been using Epson pretreat on my GTX. Works great. Shirts hold up great in the wash and as of 6 months have not had one complaint. It is easier for me because I also have 2 Epson DTG's.

Experimentation always leads to new discoveries.

Old December 7th, 2018 Dec 7, 2018 5:23:03 PM -   #33 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Mark

I am about to buy a new DTG machine and I am looking at either the Epson f2100 or the Brother GTX. I am having a hard time justifying the $6000 premium on the Brother over the Epson. I have been using a Anajet MP5i for the last 4 years and I am still making money with it, but it requires I print something at least every other day or I waste a large amount of it with head cleans. Fortunately the ink is half price of the Brother and Epson. Any thoughts? Oh yes I use Firebird, it is the best.

Old December 8th, 2018 Dec 8, 2018 11:26:25 AM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I don't think there is DTG that doesn't have ink waste.

I'm pretty happy with Brother GTX, but a lot of people here are complaining about the waste, but ymmv.

Old December 11th, 2018 Dec 11, 2018 10:30:57 AM -   #35 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Justin G

go with firebird!

Old December 11th, 2018 Dec 11, 2018 11:17:36 AM -   #36 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

How is the Brother for sitting idle for a few days? My business is feast or famine.

Old December 14th, 2018 Dec 14, 2018 7:43:47 AM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I have both an Epson F2000 (not cool enough for the f2100 yet) and a GTX I have left both sitting for a week or so at a time. both come back pretty easy. I would give a slight edge to the GTX because it has a wet capping station but it is only a slight edge.

Old December 14th, 2018 Dec 14, 2018 10:13:02 AM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

I also have an Epson F2000 (and an Epson F2100) along with a GTX machine.

Although I do sometimes let my GTX sit for a week at a time untouched with no problems the Epsons can sit two weeks and beyond.

This is because of the dry capping station (that does not spit white ink and solution all day every day).

All you have to do is keep the capping station nice and clean at the end of every print day and that is how it rewards you.

Did I mention that I have already had to replace a white ink head in my 8 month old GTX?

Old December 21st, 2018 Dec 21, 2018 4:30:27 AM -   #39 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Which is your " go to" machine. Why do you have both and which did you get last? Sounds like you had a couple of Epsons and when you needed a third machine you went with Brother because of something you thought the Brother could give you that the Epsons could not. Is that the case? Please explain. I am about to ditch my Anajet MP5i and replace it with one of these machines but I don't want to make the wrong decision. Right now in my area the Brother cost $6000 more than the Epson. Thanks for your help.

Old January 2nd, 2019 Jan 2, 2019 10:43:36 AM -   #40 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

That is a very fair question. As I told you in a PM I pretty much got the F2100 and the GTX at the same time. While I do really like both machines an awful lot I started out as an Epson guy and I still seem to lean that way. At least for my needs which do vary from shop to shop.

While the GTX does offer a speed advantage per print over the F2100 and it just looks like a damn cool "hot rod" machine I would say that you have to ask yourself if a little bit of speed is more important to you than the absolute ease of maintenance the F2100 (as well as the first gen F2000) gives you.

As much a I like my GTX keeping it clean (I am OCD about that part, ask anyone who has been to my shop) can be a real pain in the butt. The white ink seems to splatter all over the place under that sleek looking hood and it dries hard as concrete.

It really is a struggle keeping it as clean as my standards dictate. It always seems to be asking for things I have noticed too. I am constantly replacing fan filters, head swipers, sponge filters and cleaning solution (about $100 for what looks like about a quart bottle).

Don't get me wrong though, the F2100 also requires some perishable items to be replaced but most of those (wiper roller cart, filter, replaceable cap assembly and spit filter) seem to last up to about three months of 2 or 3 days a week printing which is kind of nice. All at around $100 total.

The GTX is a "wet cap" machine and it needs the solution to constantly cycle through the DTG to keep the print head from clogging. The "dry capping" station of the Epson DTGs keeps an airtight seal around the print head with the machine powered off for two weeks or more before you have to lay a finger on it. The F2100 also has a self contained cleaning solution cart (side by side with the ink carts) that I haven't even had to replace yet in almost a year's worth of DTG printing. It is used to flood the white ink tubes with solution after every print day cleanup routine (maybe 5 minutes or less) to keep the white ink inside of the machine from coagulating and clogging up the white heads when not in use. Pretty clever I think.

The GTX does ask for a "shake of the white ink carts" every day (the F2100 does too on every "print" day) which leads to a white head cleaning that can suck those $450+ pair of white ink carts dry in just over just a few weeks without even printing one t-shirt. I know because I have done it. Now, the Brother people have stated in this forum that you don't have to comply with that request and you can let the GTX sit idle for a while without doing this and I'll have to say that my GTX has sat for up to a week a time untouched like this with no problems at all.

The Brother DTG needs cleaning around the head from time to time also. Maybe once a week or so. I have cleaned around my F2000 head maybe 6 times in three years. My F2100 has gone untouched.

I have been using Epson's Garment Creator for almost three years and I find it to be a slightly better choice than the Brother's Graphics Lab but not by much. It seems to offer a couple of more options for a "tinkerer" like me but GL is a pretty rock solid program too. Both are very easy to use and both are Mac compatible which is great. I am NOT a PC guy at all.

I would say that if I was running a shop with a good handful of DTGs like an online store the speed aspect of the GTX would be pretty important to me but I lean towards the quality side of printing more in my business and the GTX and the F2100 are about the same when it comes to that. Some art looks better on the Brother and sometimes the F2100 outshines the GTX. It's a toss up really. Both machines are absolutely amazing when it comes to print quality. The Epson does has a dpi output advantage over the GTX but for most t-shirt printing this is not noticeable at all.

Since I have two Epson DTGs and I have been very successful with them both I would say that I am bias towards the Epson DTGs and I am sure that the dedicated Brother folks would lean the other way. It's kinda like the Ford vs Chevy crowd (I am a car guy too). Brand loyalty is a good thing if you ask me.

My advice to you is to do your homework and decide which DTG is best suited for your needs because they are both dynamite DTGs. The up front price is something to think about and you have to determine which machine can turn you the best profit depending on your usage. You also need to decide which machine is the easiest to use and the easiest to maintain.

Both machines have lot to offer and shine in different areas sometimes. I don't think that you can go wrong with either one because with the competition that has developed in the DTG world over the last couple of years have DTG machines evolving quickly and things are getting better and better which is great for all of us!

Good luck.

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; January 3rd, 2019 at 11:48 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to gatorGRAFIX For This Useful Post:
darkorns (January 5th, 2019)
Old January 2nd, 2019 Jan 2, 2019 3:27:36 PM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

I forgot to mention that I have already had to replace the GTX white head assembly. It took 3 weeks (the machine was down all of this time) and I had to go through various emails, texts, call backs and GTX tests through 4 different *Brother people (all of who were, I'll have to say, very nice on the phone) before they sent me a new head assembly under warranty for me to replace. It seems that there were a batch of GTX DTGs that had bad white head assemblies installed in them from the factory. My GTX fell into the defective serial number range for that head assembly.

GTX is up and running fine now though.

* UPDATE - Typo corrected.

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; January 3rd, 2019 at 11:55 AM..

Old January 2nd, 2019 Jan 2, 2019 4:11:41 PM -   #42 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thanks for the reply. You said Epson tech for the GTX? I am assuming that was a typo. I am leaning toward the Epson for many reasons but the only thing that I am concerned about is the ink cost which is double what I pay for the ink in my Anajet. I have to do something soon though because it appears that Anajet is trying to obsolete the MP5i. I tried to call them to order a part that I have gotten from them before and they could not find it. They promised to keep looking and call me back.Here we are two days later and no call back. They’re the worst company to deal with after you buy their machine I have ever seen. RICOH buying them out did nothing to improve it either. I have two RICOH digital presses in my business that I have service contacts on that they take care of pretty well. Not the Anajet. If it were not for the fact that I am mechanical ( car guy ) I would have never been able to keep it going for 5 years. I have had Epson wide format printers in my business for more than 20 years and they are workhorses.

Old January 2nd, 2019 Jan 2, 2019 4:11:52 PM -   #43 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thanks for the reply. You said Epson tech for the GTX? I am assuming that was a typo. I am leaning toward the Epson for many reasons but the only thing that I am concerned about is the ink cost which is double what I pay for the ink in my Anajet. I have to do something soon though because it appears that Anajet is trying to obsolete the MP5i. I tried to call them to order a part that I have gotten from them before and they could not find it. They promised to keep looking and call me back.Here we are two days later and no call back. They’re the worst company to deal with after you buy their machine I have ever seen. RICOH buying them out did nothing to improve it either. I have two RICOH digital presses in my business that I have service contacts on that they take care of pretty well. Not the Anajet. If it were not for the fact that I am mechanical ( car guy ) I would have never been able to keep it going for 5 years. I have had Epson wide format printers in my business for more than 20 years and they are workhorses.

Old January 3rd, 2019 Jan 3, 2019 11:47:48 AM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Typo corrected, thanks.

I don't know about Anajet ink but I will say that I almost bought an Anajet three years ago until I did more homework right at the last minute. That pointed me toward Epson and I wound up buying the then new F2000 (thank goodness).

Epson ink - (2) white ink 600ml carts - $407 shipped

Brother ink (2) white ink 700ml carts - $435 plus shipping

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; January 3rd, 2019 at 11:57 AM..

Old January 3rd, 2019 Jan 3, 2019 1:12:18 PM -   #45 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorGRAFIX
I forgot to mention that I have already had to replace the GTX white head assembly. It took 3 weeks (the machine was down all of this time) and I had to go through various emails, texts, call backs and GTX tests through 4 different *Brother people (all of who were, I'll have to say, very nice on the phone) before they sent me a new head assembly under warranty for me to replace. It seems that there were a batch of GTX DTGs that had bad white head assemblies installed in them from the factory. My GTX fell into the defective serial number range for that head assembly.

GTX is up and running fine now though.

* UPDATE - Typo corrected.
I had the exact same thing happen too took 4 weeks to get mine with a dozen or so emails back and forth and multiple phone calls

This is a discussion about Best Pretreatment to use with GTX? that was posted in the Brother section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in