[Brother GTX] Best Pretreatment to use with GTX? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Brother
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Brother GT-541 and Brother GT-782 DTG owners.

[Brother GTX] Best Pretreatment to use with GTX?

Like Tree6Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 10th, 2018 Aug 10, 2018 5:51:28 AM -   #16 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: JUDY
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Best Pretreatment to use with GTX?

Hello I’m new to this forum and also the GTX machine. A lot of people have told me brothers pre treat is not all that great however we have a whole bunch of it so we have to use it until it’s gone. But one of the problems I am having is the stains on the shirt after pretreat and printing. Is anyone else having this problem and if so how do you remove that? Without effecting the shirt?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2018 Aug 12, 2018 10:51:00 AM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

We didn't like the Brother pretreat as well, so we switched to Firebird.

Firebird has been working great for us, but like you we had (2) 5L bottles of Brother pretreat left.

YMMV but we been doing 2-1-1 ratio of (50/25/25%) ratio of Firebird, Brother, Distilled water for our pretreat and it has actually been working so well that we might keep doing it that way even if we run out of Brother pretreat.

If you're getting stains, try lowering the amount of pretreat and then pressure and/or temperature on the press.

Old September 25th, 2018 Sep 25, 2018 1:22:03 PM -   #18 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I have been using the Brother Pretreat for the past 2 months (when i got my GTX) and am about to try out the firebird pretreatment because of all the comments on here...will comment my findings!

I have to say (i sound like a broken record) but everyone in this industry sharing info, best practices etc on this forum is so awesome!

Old September 27th, 2018 Sep 27, 2018 9:55:08 AM -   #19 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Brother pretreat 50:50 (pretreat:distilled water) - lots of staining and good results
Firebird pretreat not watered down, applied directly, cured etc - minimal staining and great results!

Firebird > Brother

Old September 27th, 2018 Sep 27, 2018 10:13:59 AM -   #20 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajessa
Brother pretreat 50:50 (pretreat:distilled water) - lots of staining and good results
Firebird pretreat not watered down, applied directly, cured etc - minimal staining and great results!

Firebird > Brother
Don't forget the washability test .

Also try 25% Brother pretreat (75% water) applied in 2 thin coats on a pre-pressed shirt, and while it is still on the heat press.

Old September 27th, 2018 Sep 27, 2018 11:09:50 AM -   #21 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I printed on 100% polyester and washed it after. It washed well!

Old September 27th, 2018 Sep 27, 2018 12:33:28 PM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: James

Was it a white poly shirt? because yea that will work ok. No one has a pretreat out there that you can print white ink onto polyester and not have it wash totally off. At least I have not seen it and I have tested almost everything on the market. In my last order of Firebird pretreat they sent me a black 100% polyester shirt that the good folks of firebird had pre-pretreated and it works amazing! I am able to print white ink on it and it has held up to 10 washes on a hot cycle, so far and looks like it was just printed. I have to say those guys down at firebird seem to have there stuff together. That poly shirt I was able to just toss on the printer ,print it and cure it. Makes life so much easier. They are marketing it as FB2Go they were putting a shirt in every new order for free and I believe you can buy them off their website.

Old September 27th, 2018 Sep 27, 2018 12:46:32 PM -   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoster32111
Was it a white poly shirt? because yea that will work ok. No one has a pretreat out there that you can print white ink onto polyester and not have it wash totally off. At least I have not seen it and I have tested almost everything on the market. In my last order of Firebird pretreat they sent me a black 100% polyester shirt that the good folks of firebird had pre-pretreated and it works amazing! I am able to print white ink on it and it has held up to 10 washes on a hot cycle, so far and looks like it was just printed. I have to say those guys down at firebird seem to have there stuff together. That poly shirt I was able to just toss on the printer ,print it and cure it. Makes life so much easier. They are marketing it as FB2Go they were putting a shirt in every new order for free and I believe you can buy them off their website.
It was a charcoal grey shirt and i printed blk and ylw on it.
In Canada we have to buy Firebird from a 3rd party so will have to find out more about the FB2Go that you speak of!
Thank you!

Old September 28th, 2018 Sep 28, 2018 9:10:08 AM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Ted
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajessa
It was a charcoal grey shirt and i printed blk and ylw on it.
In Canada we have to buy Firebird from a 3rd party so will have to find out more about the FB2Go that you speak of!
Thank you!
I assume you printed white under the colors. After pretreating and printing, could you still see the change in color of the shirt where the pretreat was applied? Also, how much pretreat did you use?

Thanks

Old September 28th, 2018 Sep 28, 2018 12:14:52 PM -   #25 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedC
I assume you printed white under the colors. After pretreating and printing, could you still see the change in color of the shirt where the pretreat was applied? Also, how much pretreat did you use?

Thanks
I have a Shultz Pretreat machine and didn't dilute the treatment at all. After washing you couldn't see any discolouring.

Old November 15th, 2018 Nov 15, 2018 4:00:32 AM -   #26 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydonskies
Man I just got a brother 381 , and I was planning on using imagearmor but after reading this post might use firebird now!! Can't decide!
got GT-381 and using IA but it is terrible, can't get proper white.

Ordered Brother pretreat but I'm wonder about Firebird?

Non-Staining DTG Pretreatment FBX-100 (Brother® Printers)

will it be ok?

Old November 15th, 2018 Nov 15, 2018 7:39:25 AM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I been using the Firebird GTX pretreat for months and it is brighter, cheaper, less sticky and washes better, and hardly stains on anything when I did my testing, oh yea you also get to spray less of it than brother and still get better vibrancy on white and cmyk. If I were to spray a dark shirt using brother I would have to use between 40g to 60gs. To get a result that is actually slightly better than the brother I use about 25g

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 1:50:01 AM -   #28 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

where I can buy Firebird FBX-100 in the UK?, I was trying to order directly from Firebird but UK is not on the list even??

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 5:34:55 AM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

i'm not sure but I imagine there is a dealer in the UK.

Old November 20th, 2018 Nov 20, 2018 10:59:58 PM -   #30 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Radon

I have FB and start to fall after 5-7 washes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181121155601.jpg (23.6 KB, 44 views)

This is a discussion about Best Pretreatment to use with GTX? that was posted in the Brother section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in