[Brother GT-361] Help! Need long term STORAGE solution :) - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Brother
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Brother GT-541 and Brother GT-782 DTG owners.

[Brother GT-361] Help! Need long term STORAGE solution :)

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WGiant
  • 1 Post By NZACO

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 31st, 2017 May 31, 2017 7:42:23 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Help! Need long term STORAGE solution :)

We are a school that own a GT-361. Our facility is undergoing a substantial renovation this summer and we will not be able to maintain the GT-361 according to it's maintenance schedule.

Any tricks or ideas so we don't screw up heads? Looking at 10 weeks or so.

Help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2017 May 31, 2017 10:52:29 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Default Re: Help! Need long term STORAGE solution :)

School that owns a dtg machine! That's cool!

Brother no longer suggests leaving in maintenance solution for long term storage, but I would still ask them and follow their instruction.

Old June 1st, 2017 Jun 1, 2017 9:09:26 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You need to get the white ink out of course and get something in those line that won't jam it up.

To begin perform a white-ink flush, which will result in the end with ink lines full of maintenance solution. This solution can also clog the print heads, but it takes 4-6 weeks instead of a few days. You can place the hose from the maintenance cart in a bottle of pure distilled water and use this to run a "Load white" on each head. This will result in each line/head being loaded with the distilled water which some users have reported holds in the lines better.

At no point during this should the ink cart slots have an actual ink cart in place, when a head isn't being flushed it should have a filter or capping cart in place. For long term storage Brother recommends a capping cart, but I've never seen one of these things so we just used filter carts.

It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than the "you can't do this" answer others will give you.

Last edited by WGiant; June 1st, 2017 at 09:33 AM..

Old June 5th, 2017 Jun 5, 2017 2:23:30 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGiant
You need to get the white ink out of course and get something in those line that won't jam it up.

To begin perform a white-ink flush, which will result in the end with ink lines full of maintenance solution. This solution can also clog the print heads, but it takes 4-6 weeks instead of a few days. You can place the hose from the maintenance cart in a bottle of pure distilled water and use this to run a "Load white" on each head. This will result in each line/head being loaded with the distilled water which some users have reported holds in the lines better.

At no point during this should the ink cart slots have an actual ink cart in place, when a head isn't being flushed it should have a filter or capping cart in place. For long term storage Brother recommends a capping cart, but I've never seen one of these things so we just used filter carts.

It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than the "you can't do this" answer others will give you.
I would only do this as the last possibility because you will have no warranty if the heads don't survive the summer break.

I best situation would be to move the printer to a location you can access and every two weeks replace the cleaning fluid in the white ink lines, run agitation then power clean 'All print heads'.
WGiant likes this.

Old June 5th, 2017 Jun 5, 2017 11:41:57 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZACO
I would only do this as the last possibility because you will have no warranty if the heads don't survive the summer break.

I best situation would be to move the printer to a location you can access and every two weeks replace the cleaning fluid in the white ink lines, run agitation then power clean 'All print heads'.
You are correct sir.

Old June 5th, 2017 Jun 5, 2017 5:22:56 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Just visited a DtG machine that was put away for four months the way I described above with no regular maintenance. I'm sure it would have done much better with a little check-in every 2-4 weeks as NZACO suggested, but it wasn't an option. Here were the results:

One completely clogged white head.

One 50% clogged white head which quickly showed improvement, so probably fixable.

Magenta head 80% clogged.

Cyan had maybe 10% clogged

Anyway, as mentioned, it's not perfect, but if these were left with just white ink in them I can guarantee all four white heads would have been clogged solid within weeks, and most likely every tube and filter in line with them.

Last edited by WGiant; June 5th, 2017 at 09:34 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to WGiant For This Useful Post:
NZACO (June 5th, 2017)
Old June 6th, 2017 Jun 6, 2017 10:23:23 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tilden
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

For what it's worth...I am a Department of Defense Civilian employee during the day, my job requires me to move from duty station to duty station as well as deploy into combat zones for 6 months at a time. I have owned my GT-361 since Nov 2013 and have always loaded the white lines with cleaning fluid and left it in place until my return. I have NEVER had any issues doing this. I recently returned from a month long trip to Fort Huachuca, Az. Again all i did was load the white lines with solution and hit the road. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones. I am currently planning a move to Alaska for a 3 year tour, instead of trusting the govt movers with my machine I am opting to load it into my concession trailer and make the trip up myself. And yes you guessed right if you asked if I will load the white lines with cleaning solution before I hit the road....Again, this has been my experience....your mileage may vary.

Old June 6th, 2017 Jun 6, 2017 10:28:27 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtilden
For what it's worth...I am a Department of Defense Civilian employee during the day, my job requires me to move from duty station to duty station as well as deploy into combat zones for 6 months at a time. I have owned my GT-361 since Nov 2013 and have always loaded the white lines with cleaning fluid and left it in place until my return. I have NEVER had any issues doing this. I recently returned from a month long trip to Fort Huachuca, Az. Again all i did was load the white lines with solution and hit the road. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones. I am currently planning a move to Alaska for a 3 year tour, instead of trusting the govt movers with my machine I am opting to load it into my concession trailer and make the trip up myself. And yes you guessed right if you asked if I will load the white lines with cleaning solution before I hit the road....Again, this has been my experience....your mileage may vary.
... also make sure the PH carriage is tired to the frame so ir does not move.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

This is a discussion about Help! Need long term STORAGE solution :) that was posted in the Brother section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in