[Brother GT-361] What's The Secrete To A Feathered Edge? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Brother
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Brother GT-541 and Brother GT-782 DTG owners.

[Brother GT-361] What's The Secrete To A Feathered Edge?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 9th, 2015 Jul 9, 2015 11:22:05 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tilden
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default What's The Secrete To A Feathered Edge?

Greetings All,
I have been a faithful GT-361 user since Nov 2013. The one problem that I cannot figure out is how to make the printer interpret the feathered edge effect when I print a family photo or anything where the edges “fade” off. I have seen some pictures of shirts done on the GT series machines and the feathered effect looks awesome. When I have the file loaded on the screen using Graffix Pro Studio you can see the feathered edge. However, when I print there is no feathering effect. Is it the program? Is there a setting adjustment I need to make? I once did a shoe and where the feathered edge should have been there was instead a black halo effect going on. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tilden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2015 Jul 9, 2015 4:49:44 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: CD

Default Re: What's The Secrete To A Feathered Edge?

The only way I get the feathered effect is to print to file output, an ar3 file. The program you are using I don't think is suitable for that.

Convert the original file with the feathered effect into a .png with transparent background no flatten. Print the .png file to the Brothers file output. This will create the Ar3 file. Open the Ar3 file and print to the GT361. This will preserve the transparencies. I have had that issue when printing directly from another program.

CD

Old July 29th, 2015 Jul 29, 2015 3:20:52 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tilden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanarianDrifter
The only way I get the feathered effect is to print to file output, an ar3 file. The program you are using I don't think is suitable for that.

Convert the original file with the feathered effect into a .png with transparent background no flatten. Print the .png file to the Brothers file output. This will create the Ar3 file. Open the Ar3 file and print to the GT361. This will preserve the transparencies. I have had that issue when printing directly from another program.

CD
Greetings...I have finally had a chance to make an ARTR file by saving to the file output...how do I print it to the shirt? Graffix Pro Studio wont recognize the file that I made and allow me to open it.

Old July 29th, 2015 Jul 29, 2015 9:08:33 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Either contact your brother representative and ask for the "pdip" program or go to their website login and download the program.

Basically, all you need to do is save your image as a .png file with the feathered edge on a transparent background. Launch the pdip program, place the image and choose whether to print directly to the printer or file output.

Old March 14th, 2017 Mar 14, 2017 10:30:47 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: Andrew
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I would suggest using the PDIP software when printing anything full color with white printing. I've encountered many times where an image provided by customers will have some white information that doesn't print. I typically print out of Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop when doing standard (color only) printing. When printing in white sometimes your printer will recognize the white as transparent with a 255 r,g,b value instead of a 254 r,g,b value that is printable white. The PDIP software will convert all whites in an image to printable white so it's imperative that you only use png files with transparent background. If you need to print something on the fly with feathered edges without PDIP, I've noticed that you can put a background color (match the color of the garment you're printing on) under the image you are trying to print and when you send the file to print make that color transparent. You're printer will fade the edges into that transparent color instead of just printing white to the edges of the gradient.

I had issues with this for a long time when we first started getting into a lot of white printing. Unfortunately everyone wants dark shirts white bright prints these days :/

Hope it helps!

This is a discussion about What's The Secrete To A Feathered Edge? that was posted in the Brother section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in