New Brother DTG user...problem with design "smudging" or "skid marks"...?? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Brother
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Brother GT-541 and Brother GT-782 DTG owners.

New Brother DTG user...problem with design "smudging" or "skid marks"...??

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 29th, 2008 Jul 29, 2008 7:54:19 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default New Brother DTG user...problem with design "smudging" or "skid marks"...??

Just got a Brother GT541 which I love, BUT....On a few occasions now the shirt gets a "smudge " mark or a small "skid mark" in various places..(see photo example)...I have the platen at it's highest height, to get the best quality result....that shouldn't be causing this, should it?
Stumped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oops on shirt.jpg (28.7 KB, 61 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2008 Jul 29, 2008 7:56:22 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Unhappy Re: New Brother DTG user...problem with design "smudging" or "skid marks"...??

As you can see in the above picture, there is a tiny black "skid mark" looking thing on the collar...what is causing these smudges? I have already ruined 8 to 10 shirts...

Old July 29th, 2008 Jul 29, 2008 8:29:44 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Sarah

Default Re: New Brother DTG user...problem with design "smudging" or "skid marks"...??

It certainly looks like the print head is hitting the highest points of the collar. Either lower the platen or fold the entire collar and top of shirt down over the edge of the platen so it hangs off like the rest of the shirt. Good luck.

Old July 29th, 2008 Jul 29, 2008 8:31:11 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Default Re: New Brother DTG user...problem with design "smudging" or "skid marks"...??

You need to try to get the collar over the edge of the platen so it is not sticking up. If you have the printhead to high and the collar is higher then the print area, it will rub on the collar because its raised higher. Can you get the collor over the edge of the platen? Maybe just move the graphic up a little and the shirt up a little?

Old July 30th, 2008 Jul 30, 2008 4:59:01 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Lisa

BobbieLee is right, I have a Brother and I always pull the collar off the platen, the printhead hits the highest point, if you don't want to pull the shirt up you need to move the platen down to B instead of A. Are you printing from Corel?

Old July 30th, 2008 Jul 30, 2008 5:53:42 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: chris
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

That is my suggestion as well, we have a brother also but it looks like the printhead is hitting (not a good thing) lower the platen or move the shirt collar

Old July 30th, 2008 Jul 30, 2008 5:57:11 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Without a doubt you are hitting the collar with the print heads. I've had a GT-541 for a year now and every once in while a t-shirt will get smudged if we don't take care when setting up. From the picture i see that you are printing up high on the shirt. My trick for applications like this is a cardboard piece taped to the platten with a half moon cut out at the top. this allows for the collar to lay lower the the rest of the tee shirt and then set the platten to optimum height. This should solve your dilema and give you an idea on how to print on difficult items( hint...mouse pads cut in various shapes are the best)
Big_D

Old July 30th, 2008 Jul 30, 2008 6:05:48 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

yes to what everyone else has said.

First lower your platen....
then if you need to get that close to the edge of the collar, pre-press your shirt collar nice and flat, then put a bit of sticky masking tape over the collar press it flat.(make sure the tape is laying flat, even the end bits) Any bumping of the print heads on the collar will hit the masking tape and leave ink there instead of the shirt.

Old July 30th, 2008 Jul 30, 2008 7:50:16 PM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 1,016 Posts

dont put the colar on the platen

This is a discussion about New Brother DTG user...problem with design "smudging" or "skid marks"...?? that was posted in the Brother section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in