[Brother GT-381] White is not printing white on black shirt - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Brother
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Brother GT-541 and Brother GT-782 DTG owners.

[Brother GT-381] White is not printing white on black shirt

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 25th, 2014 Sep 25, 2014 12:43:23 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default White is not printing white on black shirt

Hi, I am very new to dtg printing and actually have very little graphics experience.

I am trying to print a white print onto steel gray, navy and black t shirts. My navy and steel gray t shirts print great and the white print is very white and clear. When I try to print it onto the black t shirt it comes out grey/faded looking.

I have checked that my pure whites are converted to 254.

The t shirts are 100% cotton. I have tried 180gm and 200gm black t shirts but haven't noticed much difference.

I am using the brother pretreatment at 30gms. I have tried increasing this on the black t shirt but again it will not print out white like on the navy t shirt.

Can anyone shed some light onto this or please let me know what settings you use when printing white prints onto black t shirts.

Also when printing a coloured print onto a hoodie the prints are very faded looking (I guess due to the different fabric in a hoodie than a t shirt). What settings do you change your t shirt print to in order to print onto a hoodie?

I am at a loss and ready to give up on white prints.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2014 Sep 25, 2014 12:52:21 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jim

Default Re: White is not printing white on black shirt

I'm making an educated guess here since i don't do DTG myself but are you doing an underbase? I just know about it because you usually pay more for a DTG print on black/darks because it is required.

Old September 25th, 2014 Sep 25, 2014 1:13:54 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Try running a few cleans through your printer and also make sure to tell your printer to do the Daily White Agitation as well (if you do not have this feature, you may want to update your firmware). Generally when the ink is idle for too long it has that greyish look about it.

Also, in regards to your hoodie question, there's a Hanes F170 out there that has a 100% cotton face on it that we've been using, otherwise, as you guess it, the polyester blends into the inks a bit, I know on a red hoodie the white turns pinkish.

Old September 25th, 2014 Sep 25, 2014 2:56:41 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: CD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

If you files are printing with white on the gray shirts it should be printing the same on black. The setting for black shirts may need to be a higher number in order to mask the black color. Bring the Mask to 4 and the highlights to 7. That setting seems to work for me. Do a nozzle check to make sure all the heads are firing without loss of nozzles.

CD

Old September 26th, 2014 Sep 26, 2014 3:05:34 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Since you're getting perfect prints on navy and gray, my guess is that it's the t-shirt.

Try a different black ringspun cotton t-shirt you know for sure is 100% cotton.

I recently tried printing on 60/40 cotton poly shirt and the white looked gray.

Good luck!

Old October 12th, 2014 Oct 12, 2014 7:57:55 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Naka

I think CD might be correct..try printing on blue or even red, these supposedly need even higher highlight settings.
When I started printing white ink, I always find it is not white enough compared to other methods like heat transfer.

Old October 12th, 2014 Oct 12, 2014 8:00:41 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Naka

On a side note, one of my local Brother rep mentioned about using "Load White" instead of running "Daily Cleaning W" to get better white results.

BUT I never tried that because I think when I press "load white", it will flush the whole tube with new ink and that is just too expensive!

This is a discussion about White is not printing white on black shirt that was posted in the Brother section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in