Looking to purchase Brother GT541 Need Input - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Brother
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Brother GT-541 and Brother GT-782 DTG owners.

Looking to purchase Brother GT541 Need Input

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 13th, 2007 Oct 13, 2007 11:02:53 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Looking to purchase Brother GT541 Need Input

I'm strongly considering the purchase of the Brother GT541. Would like to hear from owners how well they like, or dislike, this model. Please include any "horrow" stories, don't hold back. Also, if you love your Brother, why? I already realize that this model does not do white ink, and the price is about 20K, so please focus on other issues or praises. Also, please indicate how long you have had your machine, and any tech/service support/maintenance issues. Thanks very much in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2007 Oct 13, 2007 12:34:29 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: kenn
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Looking to purchase Brother GT541 Need Input

my company recently purchased the brother gt-541. so far we're extremely happy with the purchase.

this thread a few weeks back answered a lot of questions:

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/direct-...ng/t28556.html
toodark likes this.

Old October 13th, 2007 Oct 13, 2007 12:42:46 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Amanda

We just purchased the Brother and are really happy with it. We have a T-Jet 2 as well but the Brother is faster. The T-Jet works great for smaller orders but we have moved into a larger demand than we care to run on the T-Jet. We just got a 2000 shirt order front and back and the speed of the Brother was needed. The Brother is also a 1 pass as the T-Jet requires 2 passes for the colors to pop.

Good luck,
Annette

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddVenture
my company recently purchased the brother gt-541. so far we're extremely happy with the purchase.

this thread a few weeks back answered a lot of questions:

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/direct-...ng/t28556.html

Old October 13th, 2007 Oct 13, 2007 1:39:39 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

How did you cure the t/shirts on the large order: heat press or dryer?

Old October 13th, 2007 Oct 13, 2007 2:15:46 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Heat press always on the direct to garment.

Old October 13th, 2007 Oct 13, 2007 6:14:32 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: chris
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsales
I'm strongly considering the purchase of the Brother GT541. Would like to hear from owners how well they like, or dislike, this model. Please include any "horrow" stories, don't hold back. Also, if you love your Brother, why? I already realize that this model does not do white ink, and the price is about 20K, so please focus on other issues or praises. Also, please indicate how long you have had your machine, and any tech/service support/maintenance issues. Thanks very much in advance.
We have had our machine since June of 2006 and we love it.
We have never (knock on wood) had any issues with the machine itself. I like it because it is easy to use ,send file to machine hit the print button and you have a great looking shirt. It really is plug and print, even though others will say there is no machine that is. The brother really is and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old October 14th, 2007 Oct 14, 2007 7:10:27 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Be nice, this is my first post :)

If the Brother doesn't do white ink, doesn't that limit your choices as to what to print on? I mean, I personally HATE light colored Tee's, as the lightest I'd ever wear would be sort of Ash gray....so doesn't that mean I'd spend more $$ putting say, yellow and red on a black tee?
Or is the ink cost the same for white and, say, yellow, red etc.....

Old October 14th, 2007 Oct 14, 2007 7:51:20 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

The ink costs are the same for white T's or whatever color you print on. The ink deposit is the same. The Brother tells how much ink you are using in cc on the display every time you print. So printing white or grey is the same ink cost.

We have the T-Jet2 with white ink. We also have a 4 station screen printer. If the customer wants white ink on black T-'s we just screen print it. We just never had the time to use the white ink on the T-Jet so we just purchased a screen printing press for the darks.

Old October 14th, 2007 Oct 14, 2007 7:57:34 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Yes, I guess if you're into dark shirts, then only a system that prints white ink will work for you, but then you get into the added step of pretreatment, which from all I've heard, is very subjective, and not exact. I've seen a lot of really great looking designs on white, ash, & natural shirts. For me, it's about ease of operation, reliability, & support. So far, I've heard all good things about the Brother.

Old October 15th, 2007 Oct 15, 2007 9:06:32 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Crystal

Smile Re: Looking to purchase Brother GT541 Need Input

We just got back from the ISS show in Fort Worth. We went with the intention of buying a dtg that prints on darks, but we hit a few different walls. First, I requested samples form a dtg company (I won't post any names as I am not here to BASH anyone!) to do a wash test. After 4 washes, i had peeling ink!!!!! So when we called the sales guy for the company, he said he would send us out more samples, and that maybe the ones we received were not heat pressed long enough or something ( ), go figure!!! Well, we never received any new samples, and while at the show, after KNOWING we were going to make a decision that weekend, we were basically ignored by this company.. ALL 3 DAYS!! My husband hates bad service, so that spoke mountains to us. Now Brother on the other hand, they were absolutely incredible!! We went with a jump drive that had some of our designs on it, and Brother was the only one, of everyone we asked, who would print our designs right there for us!!!!! They popped in the jumpdrive, centered it, showed me how to load the shirt, and BOOM! An awesome shirt right before our eyes! The original company we were going to buy from, their machine kept breakiing down, another company said they could not load our file from the jumpdrive (hmmm, Brother could) and another company said we would have to drive to their office in Dallas if we wanted it done (no thanks). Brother printed on a pink t and a light blue t for us and they both look outstanding. Now before you count brother out, find someone with a brother (check with me in a month or so if you want) and give them a few different color t's you think you would use often, have them print a Pantone (I think that is what it is called, never heard of it until this weekend) color chart on the colored shirts and you can see exactly what you will get when you print on that color tee. In fact, I bet Brother would do it for you! That is the first thing we will be doing and seeing how dark we can go. We have a design my hubby wanted to do on a royal blue shirt but the yellow would not have shown up, we talked to a guy named Hans with Brother (LOVE HIM!!!) and he gave a simple suggestion of a blue ringer (doh!). Our problem solved. Unless we are buying a Kornit, we are not going to sweat the dark garment thing. If we get an order and they want darker then we can handle, we will contract it out and still make money. Weigh the cost of the pretreating time and white ink cost with the cost of contract dtg before you buy. For us, it is worth it to not have to go through the hassle of having a seperate area to pretreat, buying more supplies, pretreating a bunch of shirts and the possibility of the ink peeling since the sales guys couldn't even get it right!! I also like the idea that Brother has cartridges and not tubes. One shirt sample we got at the show for a wash test had hideous banding on it. I was like, uhhhhhh, what is this? And they said the shirt had been done first thing and there was air in the tubes so that happened. I saw dollar signs cracking in my head. Oh, and with Brother, you can print quite AWEOMELY on denim jeans! So again, you may not be able to print on black with a Brother, but from what the other dtg guys showed me themselves at this show, BROTHER ROCKS!!! So there is my excitement, I am off to the grocery store.. Have a blessed day!

Old October 15th, 2007 Oct 15, 2007 9:41:16 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Thanks for the FIRST HAND info....no need to know who the other companies are, it obivious that Brother is there for the customer. Maybe they cannot do darks (for now), but they seem to excel at what they can do. Did you purchase the Brother??

Old January 21st, 2008 Jan 21, 2008 9:27:01 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Be nice, this is my first post :)

thanks for your imput on brother gt541 bill

Old January 21st, 2008 Jan 21, 2008 12:37:27 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Mike

We love the Brother because there are no horror stories!!

Old January 21st, 2008 Jan 21, 2008 1:40:21 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Suzan

We have had our Brother for a little over a year, after we returned the machine we originally bought that printed on whites. That machine had horror stories, but we won't get into that. Our Brother is wonderful, no horror stories. Before we chose the Brother, we too, went to the ISS in Long Beach, CA and took our file on a flash drive. Several companies printed for us. We timed each from start to finish and took the shirts home. Brother was sooooo much faster than the rest, only took one pass and looked better. No rip required. LOVE the machine! We live in an extremely dry climate. I didn't watch the humidity and didn't use the machine for a couple of weeks. I ended up having to replace a print head and it's not cheap ($1,000). Only one though and now I have a humidifier. It doesn't change my feelings about the Brother - I believe it's the best one out there except possibly the Kornit ($88,500).

Old January 21st, 2008 Jan 21, 2008 5:54:38 PM -   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I have one I have had it since Aug 2006. I LOVE IT. I wish it did dark shirts but I will have to tell you I still do a fari amount of darker shirts on it. You just have to try diffrent things. I have never had any thing wrong with my machine. It runs ALL THE TIME.

I can not say enough great things about it. I also travel with it to birthday parties. It travels great. Brother says not to move it but here is california Stitch City sells it with a softwear that is for events. (darkroom)

Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questoins.

This is a discussion about Looking to purchase Brother GT541 Need Input that was posted in the Brother section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in