Any one have a GT-541 Brother printer??? - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Brother
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Brother GT-541 and Brother GT-782 DTG owners.

Any one have a GT-541 Brother printer???

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 1st, 2007 Oct 1, 2007 6:16:05 AM -   #46 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brad
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any one have a GT-541 Brother printer???

The heads don't dry up and clog. Ours has gone unused sometimes for 2 weeks with no problems at all. It is designed to be a workhorse. You'll be playing around with it so much you won't have to worry about it having too much downtime.

Also, the heads are not based on an Epson. They are designed to dump way more ink than the epson heads. In my opinion, they are based on the failed Brother/Kodak wide format printer. It makes more sense.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2007 Oct 1, 2007 6:35:44 AM -   #47 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Suzan

Matt,
Cleaning is done automatically after every 25 prints. It takes about 1 minute. Occasionally (every month or so) I will have lint on the print heads. It takes me about 3 minutes to remove and clean. This machine is virtually problem free. It just keeps going and going and going! I have never had a head dry up or clog. You won't be sorry with a Brother.

Old October 1st, 2007 Oct 1, 2007 6:53:24 AM -   #48 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Mike

Suzan, our Brother cleans itself after every 12 prints. Is there a way to change those settings? Thanks!

Old October 1st, 2007 Oct 1, 2007 6:54:42 AM -   #49 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Yes, it's in the maintenance section in the control panel. 12 is WAY too few. I would be guessing the tech set that up. That will save you a lot of time and money right there.

Old October 1st, 2007 Oct 1, 2007 7:47:15 AM -   #50 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeebs2000
Thanks Suzan
Do you ever have problems with the heads drying up or clogging
I have read about this a lot with the other machines but have not read about the Brother doing so
I worry about this because we will be a startup and unfortunately will probably experience some down time (or even a long weekend when we need to travel to tournaments) If so how time consuming has it been to clean?
The clogging problem is only a issue with the wite ink. the Brother is only a CMYK machine with no white ink though you can not print on dark shirts. There will not be a problem with clogging on the GT.

Old October 1st, 2007 Oct 1, 2007 11:10:12 AM -   #51 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Matt

Thanks everyone!!!
Another newbie question
This will be our first machine and we are trying to not spend any money we don't need to. I was thinking about not getting the sleeve platen or the baby platen right away. I was told that I can print on the sleeves without one if I am careful. I want to start simple, probably with just short sleeve tee's and sweatshirts (front and/or back) to start.
Any thoughts on this? I don't see baby items being a significant part of my business model either . I'm thinking of buying these items when we have some cash flow. Waiting will reduce my startup cost by about $700.00
Matt

Old October 1st, 2007 Oct 1, 2007 11:51:25 AM -   #52 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You don't need them, but they are very handy to have. Especially the short sleeve platen. You can always add them later if you need them.

Old October 1st, 2007 Oct 1, 2007 2:49:37 PM -   #53 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeebs2000
Thanks everyone!!!
Another newbie question
This will be our first machine and we are trying to not spend any money we don't need to. I was thinking about not getting the sleeve platen or the baby platen right away. I was told that I can print on the sleeves without one if I am careful. I want to start simple, probably with just short sleeve tee's and sweatshirts (front and/or back) to start.
Any thoughts on this? I don't see baby items being a significant part of my business model either . I'm thinking of buying these items when we have some cash flow. Waiting will reduce my startup cost by about $700.00
Matt
I don't have the baby or sleeve platen either. What i do when i print on things is put a mouse pad centered on my platen, i then center the shirt on it. I lower my platen and test to make sure there are no obstructions. I then print in uni-directional (one way printing) instead of bi-directional.

For a long sleeve i just laid the sleeve centered on the platen, lowered the platen and again printed in "uni-directional".

Hope this helps.

Signed,
Printchic

Old October 1st, 2007 Oct 1, 2007 11:09:15 PM -   #54 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Angela
I'm a bit confused what do you mean "uni-directional" is that a setting for the printer?
Why uni-directional?
sorry I'm real new at this
Matt

Old October 2nd, 2007 Oct 2, 2007 7:19:21 AM -   #55 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Suzan

in the menu go down to print direction and set to uni-directional. use this for more sharp prints when your print heads are not as close to the platten as usual.

Old October 2nd, 2007 Oct 2, 2007 7:44:52 AM -   #56 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks
I think we have settled on the Brother
We need to do some other research and finish our business plan
Still quite a bit of work to do before we make our purchase
thanks to everyone for your input
Matt

Old December 9th, 2007 Dec 9, 2007 8:14:20 PM -   #57 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Tim

Can anyone tell me why a machine that only prints lights is still so expensive? When I started reading about the GT-541 I was expecting around $10K but not 20k. What are the benefits that make it worth the money?

Old December 10th, 2007 Dec 10, 2007 1:51:43 PM -   #58 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3560
Can anyone tell me why a machine that only prints lights is still so expensive? When I started reading about the GT-541 I was expecting around $10K but not 20k. What are the benefits that make it worth the money?
The fact that it works so reliably and does what it is designed to do pretty flawlessly. The quality of the prints seems to be excellent as well.

Service and support also play into the final costs.

I would rather pay $20,000 for a machine that "just works" and that people always post positive reviews about than half of that for a machine I have to fight with to get working or that produces sub quality prints.

Out of all the things I've heard about all the DTG machines, the Brother consistently gets good reviews with the only caveat being that it doesn't print white ink.

Other printers seem to get more mixed reviews.

I don't have a Brother or any DTG, but if I was buying one, I would definitely have the Brother and the DTG Kiosk/HM1 near the top of my list.

Old December 10th, 2007 Dec 10, 2007 2:16:39 PM -   #59 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

i actually own a brother printer myself! its a great machine! there is so many companys out there that need t shirts every other month! so the money is there! you just have to go out and get it! i mean who doesnt need advertisements for there huge business like everyday!? i am actually gettin rid of my brother machine...due to the fact that im always in and out of the city doing other business with my godfather its such a shame that i dont use it as much as it should be used! its NEW it was given to me as a gift from my father since i was into the clothing line business .....
but all for all its a great machine! cant complain!

Old April 6th, 2008 Apr 6, 2008 3:37:39 PM -   #60 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

(i am actually gettin rid of my brother machine...)

Did you sell your Brother Printer?

This is a discussion about Any one have a GT-541 Brother printer??? that was posted in the Brother section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in