Any one have a GT-541 Brother printer??? - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Brother
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Brother GT-541 and Brother GT-782 DTG owners.

Any one have a GT-541 Brother printer???

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 27th, 2007 Sep 27, 2007 5:47:40 AM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any one have a GT-541 Brother printer???

I'm going to guess that the price is pretty much the same. We got a free stand with ours which is good to have as the Brother is heavy. I think the free stand is going to be the incentive to buy from a particular dealer.
I would advise you not to buy based on price alone. Training and service are extremely important. It won't help much if you get a great price and the service tech is 1000 miles away and you have to pay for him to come help you. I'd stay as local as possible.
A big factor in our buying a Brother was that the dealer is here in town and we've had experience with him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2007 Sep 27, 2007 6:57:18 AM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brad

We have run 2 Brothers for a total around 4 years now. I can honestly say, it is a friggin' rock. The first one was a Beta that just didn't quit. I couldn't believe how well built it was. The production model, the GT is roughly the same. The biggest thing they changed was the cover. But, them testing allowed them to find some fairly big problems with the printer before it hit the market.

We were fortunate enough to hae the fine folks at Brother value our opinion enough to have us test the printer 2 years before it hit the market. We were second in the country for number of prints when the Beta program ended.

Not bad for a little company out of Marietta, GA.

As far as white ink goes, it's not ready for prime time. Kornit is the closest, but for that price, I would expect a smaller learning curve and better production. I don't lose any orders because I can't print white ink. I just work around it.

Old September 27th, 2007 Sep 27, 2007 6:59:49 AM -   #33 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

The Brother DTG is a modified 4800 epson...Check out the look of the printhead and compare it to a regular 4800 Epson printer...Looks the same to me. I do have a little experience with this subject!

Old September 27th, 2007 Sep 27, 2007 7:04:15 AM -   #34 (permalink)
Be nice, this is my first post :)

what is a HM1 as mentioned in your blog?

Old September 27th, 2007 Sep 27, 2007 7:45:14 AM -   #35 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogoDaddy
The Brother DTG is a modified 4800 epson.
I've spoken to reps from Brother and two dealers and they say the Brother was built from the ground up as a DTG and is not a modified Epson. Just because the heads look similar doesn't mean anything. Cars look similar but there are major differences among them.
Here is a quote from the Brother website: "The GT-541 is designed for garment printing. Matching ink and print heads were developed specifically for printing on cotton and cotton/polyblended materials." To me that doesn't say modified.
I would think the Brother reps and dealers would have some experience with this also.

Old September 27th, 2007 Sep 27, 2007 8:18:45 AM -   #36 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Alright!!!

Old September 27th, 2007 Sep 27, 2007 8:58:04 AM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Matt

I wont buy on price only. the Brother isn't the least expensive for sure. I am willing to pay for the piece of mind of working with a reputable company that will partner with me for the long hall. Only heard good things about the Brother and I have a service tech 30 minutes away and another about an hour away. I was just wondering if they are at all flexible with pricing or if retail price is set in stone. thanks to everyone for your input, it's invaluable info
Now I need to start looking for a quality heat press

Old September 27th, 2007 Sep 27, 2007 10:38:27 AM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Suzan

as far as I have seen, there are no discounts on the Brother. We also, did get a free stand. That is good as the machine is large and heavy and it is a good quality stand.

Old September 27th, 2007 Sep 27, 2007 10:54:04 AM -   #39 (permalink)
EB
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I concur, no discounts. Only incentives at the dealer level like free stand or something.

This thing is a Workhorse. You will be hard pressed to find any complaints from owners of the GT-541

No it doesn't print white but as MK162 said, you work around it and if you are resourceful you can get by without it and all the hassles that come with it.

Cheers,
Eric

Old September 27th, 2007 Sep 27, 2007 11:05:30 AM -   #40 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Marcos

Hello Folks,
We bought the Brother GT-541 back in May and absoulutly love it. The printer even gives you stats on how long it takes to print how much ink you have used and history of all print jobs. Our bottom line has increased signifcantly, no more turning away the one and two shirt orders. As far as dark shirts, I sub them out to a screenprinter. Its worth your time to get to know a screenprinter in you area, so you don't loose those order's. Yea your not going to make much profit when you sub-out the job but you also won''t loose a customer. I have a source that works for Brother and he says that Bother is beta testing the white ink and should be available in the future. ONCE AGAIN WE ARE HAPPY WITH THE BROTHER GT 541.

Old September 27th, 2007 Sep 27, 2007 2:24:58 PM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks for the info

Old September 28th, 2007 Sep 28, 2007 12:30:36 PM -   #42 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by potteryware
what is a HM1 as mentioned in your blog?
An HM1 is a type of Direct to Garment (DTG) printer. It's totally different than the Brother talked about in this topic.

Old September 30th, 2007 Sep 30, 2007 4:42:25 AM -   #43 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

How is the Brother as far as ink usage goes. I was told on average you can print about 1000 shirts from a set of ink cartridges or less than $1.00 per shirt
would you say this is accurate? I understand that it depends on the size and type of design printed. I just mean on average.

Old September 30th, 2007 Sep 30, 2007 1:52:11 PM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Suzan

We average a little higher than $1, however, we specialize in 14 x 16 full color photos, print at vivid 1, ink volume 10. But - we sell our shirts at a premium price because they are all one of a kinds. For the average person, I think you would average below $1 each.

Old October 1st, 2007 Oct 1, 2007 5:24:13 AM -   #45 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks Suzan
Do you ever have problems with the heads drying up or clogging
I have read about this a lot with the other machines but have not read about the Brother doing so
I worry about this because we will be a startup and unfortunately will probably experience some down time (or even a long weekend when we need to travel to tournaments) If so how time consuming has it been to clean?

This is a discussion about Any one have a GT-541 Brother printer??? that was posted in the Brother section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in