Any one have a GT-541 Brother printer??? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Brother
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Brother GT-541 and Brother GT-782 DTG owners.

Any one have a GT-541 Brother printer???

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 22nd, 2007 Sep 22, 2007 9:10:40 AM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any one have a GT-541 Brother printer???

Robin there is no dout in my mind that the Brother is best machine for doing no white ink prints. There is absolutly no one who has a bad thing to say about the GT in any of these fourms.

I just can't stand the fact that I won't be able to print to any shirt I want.

plus right now I can get the HM1 with inks and a heat press. shipped and a 2 day installer will come to my shop all for $18,320.

I will have $19,995 plus a heat press and shipping on the brother.

I know that is only $3,000 more but it is more money and gives me less options to offer customers. You see what I am feeling here I almost just want to drop the whole Idea of a garmet printer but If I don't get it rolling now with my existing incresing business that has a captive audience now, I feel I will miss out. as someone else will come in and put the whole market down.

The first customer that I could have had was a existing one he wants red shirts with a yellow Blue and black logo on it. Now I'm not sure but the brother could not do that right? would I have to lay a base on red t-shirt.

This is what I am afraid of he laughed at me when I suggested white shirts and I told him I was going to get this 20k printer but would not be able to do those on red. He told me Jeremy you know better than that Don't buy a machine that has limitations like that. so I would have lost the first customer I could have had.

I just don't know what to think anymore. I will try to make a new post of the design that I sent my brother dealer and he is making me a sample. I love a lot of Airbrush like effects and photos in my projects with no limits.

Starting as a Airbrush artist I have translated this art to digital and Kustom Koncepts has blown up in the race industry i want a printer who will take me to the next level. Thank you Robin your alway a great help and don't get it twisted I LOVE the GT but just feel limited and a little more money.

I feel that I can get a HM1 for universal works and wait 3 or 5 years and Brother will have the white perfected heck If I had the money and work flow I'd have the GT doing white Production and HM1 one offs. I also want to take the machine to 2 day indoor car shows in the area and possible in a trailer to the race track. I hear the GT is hard to move and voids the warranty if I do. Not sure on that last one just what I heard. Thank you again Robin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2007 Sep 22, 2007 11:34:58 AM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

$3000.00 is alot of money!! Im not familiar with the HM1, I didnt see it at the indianapolis trade show. You dont need a heat press with this machine?

I suspect you sell alot more dark garments than I do. Racing shirts/biker shirts and the like, tend to be on the darker garments. Being able to do one offs of these is important, and its not something you want to order transferrs for. Customers want instant gratification! ......and if you are taking it to events, you dont really want to be cutting out vinyl for custom orders either.

.....I think you've already made up your mind haven't you?

Old September 22nd, 2007 Sep 22, 2007 11:48:36 AM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

yea kinda. I have said this many time I love the brother, the ease of operation and every GT owner is thrilled with the printer (NO BAD Post about the GT).

But yes I do racers and bikers they want diversity in there shirt colors black orange charcol ect. if it wasn't for that I would not hesitate on the GT. I have to really consider the DTG brand HM1

Also Im interested you don't have to heat set the brother inks? It seems that you have to with every other garment printer I have read?

Old September 22nd, 2007 Sep 22, 2007 12:00:26 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Ryan

Sunnydayz, Iím curious to know what the daily maintenance for your HM-1 is. Do you just press the clean button? That just sounds too simple. How long does it take you on average to do (like 10 min or an hour)? I have already gone to see the machine but it didnít seem like there was that much you have to do. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old September 22nd, 2007 Sep 22, 2007 12:03:39 PM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Yes, you have to heatset the Brother inks as well as the others.

If the most kind of orders you receive are for dark t-shirts, the Brother isn't your ideal machine at this moment. But, take account that if you want to offer a good and washable dark garment with the HM1 (well, the same for all the others direct garment printers, but Kornit) you have first to master the pretreatment techniques and do lots of print and wash tests.

just my 0,02 Euro.

Old September 22nd, 2007 Sep 22, 2007 12:04:11 PM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Mike

The machine you buy should be based on your business model and what you can afford. It sounds like printing on darks is a big part of your model. If so, get the machine that helps you serve the market you are targeting. Especially if you can cut your investment by $3000. Seems like a no brainer to me!!
Robin and I decided that darks weren't going to be a big part of our market. We can always use cut vinyl or transfers for darks. So we really haven't lost any portion of the market. We just use different technology to give them what they want.
After reading the posts here and on other forums we decided that the technology for printing white isn't where it needs to be for us to become involved in it. Too many steps, too slow, big learning curve and too many problems.
Good luck, makes lots of money AND have fun!!!

Old September 22nd, 2007 Sep 22, 2007 12:15:57 PM -   #22 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalShirts
Sunnydayz, Iím curious to know what the daily maintenance for your HM-1 is. Do you just press the clean button? That just sounds too simple. How long does it take you on average to do (like 10 min or an hour)? I have already gone to see the machine but it didnít seem like there was that much you have to do. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi,
What I do daily is I first do a couple of head cleans with the button, I also wipe around the capping station and wipe the wiper blade. I go over my printhead with a soft cloth with slightly damp to remove any excess ink from the head. on the left side of the machine there is a smaller waste ink tank that I also clean out every couple of days. I make sure I swirl my white ink container also even though I have the white agitator. It only takes like 5 to 10 min. but so far I have had no problems what so ever by keeping up this schedule of doing things. I think it is really important to keep this up to make sure my machine runs great on a daily basis. I just do it before I start printing every day and it works for me.
hope this helps
Bobbie

Old September 22nd, 2007 Sep 22, 2007 4:18:57 PM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

yup, I heat press after printing for 30sec, at 360degrees.

Old September 24th, 2007 Sep 24, 2007 8:08:27 AM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Suzan

I first had a machine that printed white ink (sometimes) - lots of problems. Not I have a Brother. NEVER a problem. Prints so much faster, prints great in one pass, no daily maintenance, 45 seconds for a 14 x 16 print! LOVE this machine. Pretreatment, laying down white, one or two passes of color - too much time for one shirt for me. I can print on a lot of medium to light colors and looks great! I can print black on many bold colors. I would not use white ink at this time. Maybe someday in the future when they make it cost effective. I vote BROTHER.

Old September 26th, 2007 Sep 26, 2007 5:50:50 PM -   #25 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
The first customer that I could have had was a existing one he wants red shirts with a yellow Blue and black logo on it. Now I'm not sure but the brother could not do that right? would I have to lay a base on red t-shirt.

This is what I am afraid of he laughed at me when I suggested white shirts and I told him I was going to get this 20k printer but would not be able to do those on red. He told me Jeremy you know better than that Don't buy a machine that has limitations like that. so I would have lost the first customer I could have had.
First off, your customers don't need to know how much your equipment costs or weigh in on your equipment purchases

But think of it this way, one machine can NEVER do it ALL.

You can spend thousands of dollars on fully featured embroidery machine, but it will never be able to print ink on a t-shirt. Is that a limitation of the embroidery machine, or is that embroidery machine EXCELLING at what it is designed for.

Same thing with a screen printing press. It will never be able to embroider a shirt. But it does what it is designed to do exactly and reliably. That's all you can ask out of any piece of equipment.

Bring that back around to the Brother. Like you, I've only read good things about the Brother GT 541 DTG printer.

Just because that particular machine can't print darks, doesn't mean that you as a business will have to turn down dark shirt orders.

As others have said here, there are a couple of great options for doing dark garment orders and still pull a profit

- plastisol transfers
- vinyl transfers

Just something to think about

Old September 26th, 2007 Sep 26, 2007 6:28:09 PM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Yes I know but it seems like I am limited with the white only option. Now school me on plastisol. what does that look and feel like when it is done?

is there a box around the print like a heat transfer?

Old September 26th, 2007 Sep 26, 2007 6:40:10 PM -   #27 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom
Yes I know but it seems like I am limited with the white only option. Now school me on plastisol. what does that look and feel like when it is done?

is there a box around the print like a heat transfer?
This really isn't the thread to school you on plastisol transfers (best to keep this about the Brother). Here's a definition and pictures though.

There's a whole 'nother class for that under the plastisol transfers search tag

Quick points: no, it doesn't leave a box around the transfer. Feels like screen printing (because it is basically screen printing on transfer paper).

Old September 26th, 2007 Sep 26, 2007 7:10:30 PM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Suzan

Cool Re: Any one have a GT-541 Brother printer???

Brother doesn't limit you to white shirts. I just printed some really cool full color prints on medium brown shirts and they look awesome!

Old September 26th, 2007 Sep 26, 2007 7:20:58 PM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

can anyone tell me why the sample I got from Brother looks like has been washed though it hasn't? it is really thin and not vibrant. I have to say I am not about to drop 20k on the GT if this is what I can expect to get for results. I mean it was kinda mute and it had no hand I can actually look at it close and strech it to see right through. unlike screen printing or the HM1 black shirt sample I got when you look at it and if you stretch it the ink or screen ink is like matted between the wovven fibers. is this how DTG look or if I do 2 passes will it get thickers and viberant? also I know that it seems the thin prints will last longer I see screen prints that are thick and they are the first to crack and such.

Old September 26th, 2007 Sep 26, 2007 9:37:54 PM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Matt

I am probably going to buy the Brother GT-541. Anyone know if Brother is at all negotiable with pricing?

This is a discussion about Any one have a GT-541 Brother printer??? that was posted in the Brother section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in