[Brother GT-541] Lining Up Left Chest Prints - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Brother
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Brother GT-541 and Brother GT-782 DTG owners.

[Brother GT-541] Lining Up Left Chest Prints

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 3rd, 2010 Dec 3, 2010 7:29:27 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Dennis
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Lining Up Left Chest Prints

Anyone want to share any tips on lining up for small left chest prints? I've been getting a lot of requests lately, including the 2XL - 4XL sizes. I've been pretty inconsistent, especially on the larger sizes.

Do any of you shift the shirt on the platen when you print the left chest location?

Thanks,

Dennis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2010 Dec 3, 2010 7:35:37 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Daniel

Default Re: Lining Up Left Chest Prints

You have to adjust where the shirt will be printed for almost every size, otherwise the print will be in the wrong place. Think about where a left chest would be on a small and compare it to your 2, 3 or 4XL. It'll look a little weird on the larger persons collar bone, as opposed to just above their nipple.

Old December 3rd, 2010 Dec 3, 2010 7:38:01 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: joan

Hi, new to the forum. Looks like a lot of good info! Joan

Old December 3rd, 2010 Dec 3, 2010 7:43:10 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Daniel

Thanks Joan. Also Dennis, you need to move the shirt accordingly in the opposite direction for youth sizes especially YS and YXS...

Old December 4th, 2010 Dec 4, 2010 9:12:36 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

The super large sizes can be a pain, especially with a small LC. What works perfect for me every time I question the location:
I do an initial test print and figure out how far down and over the print is from the edges of the pallet. If I have a larger shirt I will mark the perfect spot for the LC with a piece of tape, then put the shirt on the pallet and make sure the tape lands where the print would. By looking where the collar etc lays on the pallet I will then know how all the other shirts of that size should lay on the pallet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MirrorInk For This Useful Post:
Dennis Graves (December 4th, 2010), trytobecool (August 30th, 2011)
Old December 26th, 2010 Dec 26, 2010 1:35:16 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I made templates on Corel Draw that I just import when I do a left chest. I have one for every adult size. I import the template, line up the design, then delete or move the template out of the print area. Very simple and very easy. Perfect results every time. I line the shirts up normally on the platen.

The Following User Says Thank You to sba55 For This Useful Post:
askadi623 (August 13th, 2017)
Old December 26th, 2010 Dec 26, 2010 3:35:53 PM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,314 Times in 1,080 Posts

In our graphic that goes to the printer we have a non printable layer that has all the marks of where everything goes. We printed this out on a t-shirt to show placement. It comes in real handy.

Old December 26th, 2010 Dec 26, 2010 4:35:54 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Center of the graphic should line up the the edge of the collar, this is you placement from left to right. Center of the graphic should also be lined up 2/3 the way down the sleeve. this is your placement top to bottom. Needs to be adjusted for each size shirt!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockz12 For This Useful Post:
Dennis Graves (December 27th, 2010), trytobecool (August 30th, 2011)
Old December 26th, 2010 Dec 26, 2010 6:15:21 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jim

We only make one file for an entire order of LC shirts. This is no different than screen printing, you would never make a separate screen for each shirt size. Exception is youth, once we get down to youth M we make a new file.

Then we just print away. I often think that prints that are not lined up are a result of over thinking it. Wiggle the shirt this way and that until you mess it up. The human frame is not square, often one shoulder is higher than the other among other things....

We have printed 10's of thousands of shirts with left chest prints and I can only think of a couple of complaints, and these were due to an inexperienced operator.

Old December 26th, 2010 Dec 26, 2010 6:15:55 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Debbie

good info from all,thanks

Old December 27th, 2010 Dec 27, 2010 5:56:08 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I'd grab one of those magnetic laser line things so you can do your test print and then use the laser to remember where the center of the LC is. After that you can use what ever standard placement guidelines you would normally use to shift the shirt over.

Old December 27th, 2010 Dec 27, 2010 6:45:16 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Ronnie

I also use a laser line which I have setup permanently, but adjustable.

The procedure I use is. Set T Shirt with shoulder seams touching back edge of platten. Use T-square-it II to align the laser line so the logo will always be same place and square. Once aligned the t square goes away for another day and I run 100% on laser alignment which stays bang on throughout the job. As sizes change I usually shift my shoulder-seams so the touch back of platen-under edge. Don't normally shift off centre except for very large sizes (problem with doing that can force t shirt to load up unsquare).

I have found using the laser to be the best trick I ever concocted. Great for extreme pressing speeds. Can run two lasers in a cris cross if you like.

Best laser to use. Cheap laser level about the size of a small PC mouse. Normally sold as a basic laser straight line for wallpaper hanging and putting up shelves. I bought mine for about £4 each (less than $8 each). They run on AA batteries that last for ages.

Simple to adapt with self adhesive velcro on the bottom/battery cover. In my setup I have it mounted on a rail about 6 inches above and to rignt of my press.

Old December 27th, 2010 Dec 27, 2010 6:51:54 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: P

ok look here is the cheapest and easiest way... i do the same thing when print tshirts logos over pockets.....
1. print the logo on a scratch shirt while on the platen so you'll know exactly where the print will fall.
2. get an old transperancy layer over the design, trace the design & register the transperancy to the corner of the platen... now you can mark the spot where the print will fall. adjust your shirt accordingly

Old December 27th, 2010 Dec 27, 2010 1:15:05 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jeffrey

We use an embroidery ruler, that shows every size and you just put it on the platten with a shirt. We line up the pocket location on a middle of the road size, usually a large. Then when you get to the 2xl's and up you slighty move over the shirt, and same thing when you get to youths, but the opposite direction. We never run into problems doing it this way. Make sure to run a sample first. Remember everybody has a different body shape, as long as its straight, for the most part you are going to be okay. Oh and don't get it too far to the left, where the person is going to be wearing the design in their armpit...that never looks good, better to cheat the middle than the left.

Old December 27th, 2010 Dec 27, 2010 8:05:13 PM -   #15 (permalink)
api
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I made a 14" x 16" grid in COREL and laser-engraved it into a 14" x 16" clear policarbonate (plexi) sheet. If I drop this sheet on the top of the t-shirt (which is already on the platen), the grid shows me immediately the XY coordinates of ANY point of the adult platen.

So this is how I set the position of the left chest prints:

1.) Using eyeballing, I put a small, self-adhesive, color dot to the "right spot" (X: edge of the collar , Y: 2/3 down the sleeve) on the first shirt. Sometimes I use laser targeting for that but it is not necessary. Eyeballing is easy, quick and accurate enough.

2.) I pull the shirt on the platen (vertically centered, collar at the top edge of the platen).

3.) I drop the plexi grid over the shirt.

4.) I read the XY coordinates of the color dot. (e.g. X=11,5" Y=13,8")

5.) I select the image in COREL or Illustrator and enter theese X,Y coordinates. This sets the position of the image for ALL the (same size) shirts.

When I hit Enter, the image jumps to the perfect position and it is ready to print. With this technique, the image location is ALWAYS accurate and the whole procedure takes about 30-40 seconds. Of course I remove the plexi sheet and the small dot from the t-shirt before I start printing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to api For This Useful Post:
Dennis Graves (December 29th, 2010), trytobecool (August 30th, 2011)

This is a discussion about Lining Up Left Chest Prints that was posted in the Brother section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in