[MOD-1 DTG] Print not holding up after one wash - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > BelQuette
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future owners of BelQuette manufactured machines, including the MOD-1 DTG machine and the Flexi-Jet set series of printers.

[MOD-1 DTG] Print not holding up after one wash

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 26th, 2014 Feb 26, 2014 11:28:44 AM -   #46 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Hannah
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Print not holding up after one wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeridHill
Letting it set too long could possibly cause problems. If the white dries too much, the color layer maybe sitting on the top and not merging with the white enough. Use the timed auto rapid second pass for your ink control. If you are away, set it to 1 minute. The first layer will print and sit, the 2nd layer will go back in after 1 minute and print. It's not necessary to have it set for that long, but if you are printing and walking away, it shouldn't matter.
And what about the temperature being 17 degrees hotter than 350? Is that causing problems? Should we lower the temp?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2014 Feb 26, 2014 3:04:32 PM -   #47 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,122 Times in 788 Posts

I would lower the temperature a little mostly to prevent scorching of the shirt.

Old February 26th, 2014 Feb 26, 2014 7:47:07 PM -   #48 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: john

Occasionally, we'll get a design that has so much white that it pools on the shirt and needs to rest for more than a minute in order to settle into the weave a bit. This also seems to be related to how much pretreat is used (heavier pretreat seems to make pooling more likely.)

What's the best way to cut back on the white and how much should you dial it back on the first adjustment (for example: try 1/4 or 1/2 of the available adjustment?) I'm thinking the white density 0-50 slider in the rip is the way to do it right?

Old February 26th, 2014 Feb 26, 2014 7:52:20 PM -   #49 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Different shirts will accept pretreat better than others. As you are experiencing, there are many variables and all can slightly or drastically effect how the white layer performs. The idea is to keep it as consistent as possible. A loose weave vs. tight weave will require more pretreat to get a nice solid white. So when you lay the right amount down, you can increase/decrease the amount of white ink in the RIP across the board (Hopefully that makes sense!)

To lower your white ink, you can go into the RIP in the settings and lower the percentages on the back end. If you are getting too much pooling, drop your white ink percentage (0-100%) in the back end by 5%. This is across 4 channels, so 5% can make a big difference. If it is still pooling, do another 5% until you get a great white without pooling. It depends on your climate, but I have printed consistently at 68% white, so fine tuning it will allow you to print immediately without having to wait.

The Following User Says Thank You to JeridHill For This Useful Post:
Anonoprinter (February 26th, 2014)
Old March 15th, 2014 Mar 15, 2014 8:53:30 AM -   #50 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Jerid, we are still having trouble with the color layers washing out, and we are so stumped and frustrated. I do not understand why this is happening, and I have tried everything you guys told me to try. We added the washers to the bracket, which did help reduce graininess and improved clarity in our prints. We bought the heat gun and have adjusted the heat press accordingly to 350 degrees. I've attached 4 images to this post. Two are before images and two are after images. This is the exact process that I used to make these shirts:

-Whipped and pressed lightly a Gildan UC2000 100% cotton to flatten/iron stray fibers
-With an HVLP Wegner spray gun, I sprayed the shirt in the same manner that you showed me the day I went to the BQ facility. Sprayed it evenly with the white ink pretreat mixed at 1:1 pretreat-water ratio until it was wet, but not so saturated that it was dripping.
-With teflon paper, pressed the shirt under a very light (1-2) pressure for ~15 seconds at 350 degrees per the reading from the heat gun. Lifted the press and paper and let it air out for a few seconds
-Adjusted pressure to 8/9 and pressed for 60 seconds with teflon paper.
-Printed the white layer using the 30 second timed pass setting. Printed the color layer after. The print looked great at this point.
-Cured the print with 1-60 second press at 2 pressure with parchment paper. Removed the parchment paper for a few seconds to air out steam, then pressed for 60 more seconds at 2 pressure.
-Brought home to wash the shirt and color layer is still washing out. I really don't know what else to do at this point. I have ruined many shirts due to this and I just don't know what else to do.

Please let me know if there is anything else you can think of to fix this issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BEFORE_1.jpg (13.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg BEFORE_2.jpg (33.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg AFTER_1.jpg (40.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg AFTER_2.jpg (43.8 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by AGELLC; March 15th, 2014 at 09:11 AM..

Old March 15th, 2014 Mar 15, 2014 5:33:25 PM -   #51 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Hannah, very sorry for your troubles. It is very difficult for me to tell what's happening with your photos. If you wanted to send me samples of what is happening, before and after, I would have them first hand and be able to possibly tell what could be happening better. We could also print samples here using the same shirts you are using and do some wash tests.

Old March 15th, 2014 Mar 15, 2014 9:08:13 PM -   #52 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I can mail some samples this week. I am going into our shop tomorrow to experiment with different temps and curing times and do some wash tests. I really wonder if something is up with our heat press. Yesterday when I was adjusting the pressure setting from high (8/9) to low (1/2), it kept reading 3 no matter how much I turned the knob. At one point it should have read 0 because adjusted it so much that, when pressed, it hovered slightly above the pad. I never saw this problem until yesterday so I've reading up on the press today to see if there is anything I can do to make sure that the press is functioning properly (besides using the heat gun). I really do think that we are pretreating correctly and really almost all of our prints have come out great since my visit. We've never seen the ink crack/flake off on our shirts. Everything you taught me has been extremely helpful and I am very appreciative of all of your and Matt's help! I will send some info and samples to you this week.

Old March 17th, 2014 Mar 17, 2014 2:36:52 AM -   #53 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Marc
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

The first thing that comes to mind is the Gildans. I know some have reported issues with the new treatment Gildan started using a year or so ago. Over all Gildans have a pretty poor reputation in the DTG world.

Have you tried a quality ringspun? Or any other shirt? I am curious if it is still happening on other T's.

This is a discussion about Print not holding up after one wash that was posted in the BelQuette section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in