[MOD-1 DTG] Print not holding up after one wash - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > BelQuette
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future owners of BelQuette manufactured machines, including the MOD-1 DTG machine and the Flexi-Jet set series of printers.

[MOD-1 DTG] Print not holding up after one wash

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 29th, 2011 Jun 29, 2011 5:32:50 PM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Rick
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Print not holding up after one wash

Wow wow wow! The differences in techniques is amazing. We tried the lower pressure on the pretreat to avoid changing from high pressure on pretreat to low pressure on curing. We had no luck with low pressure on pretreat. White ink was not sitting up ,groves in shirt fibers were showing through the white ink and colors were very poor. Now ,we are using port and co pc61 shirts 6.5 oz shirts.....maybe a lighter shirt needs less pressure? But we are finding using max pressure on pretreat @ 340 for 60 seconds works well on these shirts. Then low pressure 2 60 second cures on white under base and color on dark shirts.... Let's keep this conversation going. I think including what shirt type you are using would help narrow this topic down"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2011 Jul 8, 2011 7:04:01 AM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoHQ
This print started coming off the shirt after one wash from the customer. Not sure how the customer washed it. Since we are new to printing with white ink, I was wondering if anyone had this problem before and how they corrected it. Our process on these shirts is:
30 sec heat press @ 356F
spray 1 layer pre-treat-roll with sponge
spray 2 layer pre-treat-roll with sponge
heat press 35 sec @ 356F
print
hover 1 minute (we don't have a hover press yet so I feel we are not getting very close to the shirt)
press w/ light pressure & silicone paper for 2 minute @350 @ 1 minute intervals

Attachment 23840
Hovering the heat press over the shirt is meant to prevent the wet ink from adhering to the silicone paper and peeling off after the full cure. I find that it only requires about 20 seconds of hovering to prevent wet ink from sticking to the paper.

Old October 6th, 2011 Oct 6, 2011 12:23:14 PM -   #33 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

so how many people are having a washability issue?

Old June 9th, 2013 Jun 9, 2013 1:30:11 PM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Dave

i am having the same problem here is my thread..
https://www.t-shirtforums.com/direct-...ml#post1291486

Old June 9th, 2013 Jun 9, 2013 1:53:12 PM -   #35 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,122 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBurke
i am having the same problem here is my thread..
https://www.t-shirtforums.com/direct-...ml#post1291486
Chris already answered your question in the thread you are referencing. You are under curing your ink. When using white ink, 350˚ for 60 seconds, let it lift and then another 60 seconds. This will give you a great cure. When you cure for only 60 seconds, it's simply not enough.

Old July 16th, 2013 Jul 16, 2013 6:25:41 AM -   #36 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: john

Jerid,
Since some shirts work better than others, do you have a recommendation on which one to use with your equipment?

Old July 16th, 2013 Jul 16, 2013 8:41:46 AM -   #37 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

It wouldn't necessarily be our equipment, so much as it is direct to garment ink and in this case, DuPont Artistri.

The softer and tighter knit the shirt, the better results (for the most part). The Nano T works well, Sanmar PC61, Gildan Softstyle (their G200 and G500's don't work as well as they used to). I've also tried the Phoenix DTG Apparel brand and it's pretty much one of the best shirts I've printed on to date with white ink. They are currently limited to Black and White (and I think they recently introduced another color, possibly red). As with any shirts, it's always wise to cure then do wash tests.

The Following User Says Thank You to JeridHill For This Useful Post:
Anonoprinter (July 22nd, 2013)
Old November 12th, 2013 Nov 12, 2013 4:11:19 PM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: James
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I have had these same issues and I found when customer is washing on "Hot" cycle its always an issue...

I fully cure @340F-350F for 1:30 (90sec) then open to release vapors etc and hit it again for 1:30 (90sec)

I was only doing 325F before and had some serious issues too.

I also have a hard time applying just the right amount on dark shirts black and dark heathers etc mainly. Hope this might help some of you comrades.

Old February 21st, 2014 Feb 21, 2014 11:36:15 AM -   #39 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Hannah

We here at AGE are still having wash issues with our prints. The prints have been looking great coming off the printer, but when it comes down to it, the color layer is washing off. Here is our process:

-Apply 1:1 ratio pretreat mixed with distilled water until shirt is wet but not dripping
-Place on heat press with teflon paper, press with light (1) pressure for ~10 seconds to get rid of the initial moisture (at 350 degrees)
-Press at 9 pressure/350 degrees with teflon paper until steaming has stopped
-Print image, then cure with two 60 second presses at pressure of 2 at 350 degrees with the parchment paper

Our prints have been looking good but have not withstood wash tests. We also lowered our white ink volume to 95% and are mindful to make sure the white ink layers are drying before we send the color layer to print.

Old February 21st, 2014 Feb 21, 2014 12:15:27 PM -   #40 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Hannah, I would test your heat press to determine if it is getting up to the correct temperature. There are Raytek laser heat guns or heat test strips you could purchase from a screen printing supply company.

Is the ink flaking off or just the color coming off?

Old February 21st, 2014 Feb 21, 2014 12:58:04 PM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hey Jerid! It looks like just the color is coming off. I had e-mailed Matt earlier with these questions too so he has some images of one of the shirts that we had the problem with. We will get the laser gun and check out the heat press and report back. Do you think we should press for an additional 30 seconds? Also, we had not been removing the parchment paper between the two 1-minute presses. Could that be a factor?

Old February 21st, 2014 Feb 21, 2014 1:47:16 PM -   #42 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Removing the parchment paper wouldn't be necessary, it just helps release the moisture before pressing it for the second time. If your press isn't getting up to temperature, more time may not help. You could try it and see, but getting the press to temp is more critical to consistent wash tests.

What heat press are you using?

Old February 26th, 2014 Feb 26, 2014 9:46:38 AM -   #43 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hey Jerid, just to update, we got our laser heat gun in. When set to 350, our press is heating to 367. Should we actually lower the temperature to get it to 350? Could that be causing the problem? Also, does it matter if we let the white layer sit too long before we send the shirt back in for the color layer print? Sometimes we are multitasking and don't send the color pass in until 10 mins (or more) after the white layer has been printed.

Old February 26th, 2014 Feb 26, 2014 9:49:07 AM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Also, I can't remember what the press is called offhand and I'm not in the office but it is the kind with the knob at the top that we turn for the pressure adjustment.

Old February 26th, 2014 Feb 26, 2014 10:03:29 AM -   #45 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Letting it set too long could possibly cause problems. If the white dries too much, the color layer maybe sitting on the top and not merging with the white enough. Use the timed auto rapid second pass for your ink control. If you are away, set it to 1 minute. The first layer will print and sit, the 2nd layer will go back in after 1 minute and print. It's not necessary to have it set for that long, but if you are printing and walking away, it shouldn't matter.

This is a discussion about Print not holding up after one wash that was posted in the BelQuette section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in