[MOD-1 DTG] Mod 1- Good for printing at an event? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > BelQuette
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future owners of BelQuette manufactured machines, including the MOD-1 DTG machine and the Flexi-Jet set series of printers.

[MOD-1 DTG] Mod 1- Good for printing at an event?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 7th, 2011 Apr 7, 2011 7:14:51 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: alex
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Mod 1- Good for printing at an event?

Our shop is getting ready to enter the DTG world, and the Mod1 seems to be our favorite at the moment after lots of research.

We are currently screen printing and doing heat transfers for our one-off and very small orders.

I think we are achieving the best results heat transfers have to offer, but need something a little better, and the ability to print one-offs and small orders on other colors than white.

We also plan to use the machine to show some customers samples, as well as (hopefully) taking the machine to events for on-site printing. We've gotten requests for birthdays, bar mitzvahs, even a wedding, and would also like to take the machine to street sales that happen here in Montreal.

I know the Mod1 is pretty portable, as in not too heavy for 2 people to carry, but do any of you do this on site printing?

What are the logistics involved? do you pretreat all the shirts you plan to print at the even before hand in your shop? or pretreat on site?

Can the mod1 be run from a laptop?

Can we bring our digital camera, tripod, and laptop to take pictures of people at the event and print directly onto white shirts while they wait?

SO MANY QUESTIONS! haha

answers to any one of these would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2011 Apr 7, 2011 8:17:44 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,122 Times in 788 Posts

Default Re: Mod 1- Good for printing at an event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchavel
I know the Mod1 is pretty portable, as in not too heavy for 2 people to carry, but do any of you do this on site printing?
It is very portable. One person can disassemble and carry it themselves with no problems. The heaviest piece is about 45 pounds. It comes apart into 3 pieces in about 3 minutes!

Quote:
What are the logistics involved? do you pretreat all the shirts you plan to print at the even before hand in your shop? or pretreat on site?
I would pretreat everything prior to the location change. It's just simpler.

Quote:
Can the mod1 be run from a laptop?
Yes, the software allows for 3 installs if needed. 1 main computer, 1 laptop and 1 backup.

Quote:
Can we bring our digital camera, tripod, and laptop to take pictures of people at the event and print directly onto white shirts while they wait?
Yes, as a matter of fact, we've done that several times at shows for people.

Old April 7th, 2011 Apr 7, 2011 8:44:44 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Thanks for all those answers Jerid!

There is no one I know of doing this on-site DTG printing where we are, figure it could be a great addition to our printing business, helping to advertise our other services while printing on site.

We have narrowed down our choices to leasing a Mod1 or buying a refurbished Flexi-Jet.

OPINION OF THESE TWO OPTIONS? We are in Quebec, don't know who could lease one to us here, but that is the most appealing option to me.

We could keep some operating capital, have a good warranty etc...

We already have customers to print for on the machine, and I could only see business growing if we can save time printing smaller, multi color jobs (vs screen printing), as well as advertise event printing.

Old April 7th, 2011 Apr 7, 2011 8:50:40 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
We have narrowed down our choices to leasing a Mod1 or buying a refurbished Flexi-Jet.

OPINION OF THESE TWO OPTIONS?
The Mod1 in it's current form is a much better printer than the FlexiJet. The Flexijet isn't as easy to set up at shows, it takes a great deal more to move it to different venues.

Quote:
We are in Quebec, don't know who could lease one to us here, but that is the most appealing option to me.
There are a lot of leasing companies now who work with businesses in purchasing DTG printers. You wouldn't necessarily have to go through the manufacturer.

Old April 7th, 2011 Apr 7, 2011 9:01:28 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Thanks Again Jerid

The Mod1 definitely looked like a more protable setup than the Flexi.

I'm starting to hear a lot about the MOD2

Do you know the major differences between the 1 and 2?

Will the 2 be available soon?

Cheers

Old April 7th, 2011 Apr 7, 2011 9:19:56 AM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Thanks Again Jerid

The Mod1 definitely looked like a more protable setup than the Flexi.

I'm starting to hear a lot about the MOD2

Do you know the major differences between the 1 and 2?

Will the 2 be available soon?

Cheers
The Mod2 is a back to back unit. We are working out different scenarios. We have only shown it in the prototype format. The concept is to have 1 module print all white, the 2nd to use all color OR one fabric and one eco-solvent. Of course, we don't stop, so we always have something of interest.

There are things we are working on currently that

Old April 7th, 2011 Apr 7, 2011 9:26:58 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Keep in mind you'll need clean power for your printer and heat press. Can be difficult at a street fair..

Old April 7th, 2011 Apr 7, 2011 9:34:51 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

They supply us with loads of power.
Each booth is in front of a store, and the merchant association supplies the vendors.
I think I will need a tent over it though?
Can't imagine direct sunlight or rain! good for the machine.

Old April 7th, 2011 Apr 7, 2011 9:46:15 AM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

The other thing is the dust or other debris loves to stick to the ink. So I suggest a tent with side walls. Recommend a humidity gauge to make sure you are in the acceptable range as well.

Mark

Old April 7th, 2011 Apr 7, 2011 9:53:59 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I personally wouldn't take a $20k setup to a street fair, do you know how dirty and dusty those places get? Before I got into DTG I saw a cool Brother vid of a setup in a small trailer hitch. That might be a good alternative..

This is a discussion about Mod 1- Good for printing at an event? that was posted in the BelQuette section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in