T-Shirt Forums banner

FlexiJet or the advantage: the different DTG printers

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  tomtv 
#1 ·
is their anyone using this printers in the mid atlantic region?

#3 ·
Re: FlexiJet or the advantage

The inks cost just about the same as the brother per ml but the yield is about twice as much. This is direct from Matt Rhome the VP over the cotton imaging division of Sawgrass.

I will also say that Sawgrass and Brother both have chosen to use cartridges instead of the bulk refillable cartridges. I have had the opportunity to speak to some very knowledgeble people with extensive inkjet experience who really feel many of the clogging and ink starvation issues come from the use of these gravity fed cartridges. There are many chip issues besides an exessive
number of standard and power cleanings that are required to keep things working properly.

again, just my opinion.

Tom

#4 ·

I'm a Flexi-Jet owner and I believe Tom is an Advantage dealer, so you can take either of our opinions with a grain of salt. ;)

That being said, I suggest you go and see the machines in person. Either at an upcoming ISS Show, or speak with a distributer in your area.

I have not seen any REAL numbers (their average $0.50 per shirt estimate is useless, unless you know what size print they are using) from the Advantage machine, but maybe you can nail some down at the show (I was unsuccessful at ISS Long Beach). Also, take a 150dpi image to have both print up for you.

Figure out your business plan and choose the machine that will fit where you want to go. Make the decision based on your experience and comfort with the answers to your questions.

I am happy with my purchase of the Flexi-Jet, as I continue to make money with it and have not had any issues so far (about 2 months).

Eric :cool:

#5 ·

I appreciate the response from ALL. I am going 2 the ISS Orlando,and attending the thurs. startup seminar (a little knowledge is dangerous).My research on several boards has lead me 2 conclude,Brothers:reliable,low maintenance,washability,high quality printing, good support about $23000.I am also trying 2 evaluate The Advantage,FlexiJet,any others?

#6 ·

coach,

I would for sure check out every machine that you can. The DTG kiosk etc. all have their positives and negatives as do all the machines. I would really take in to account the support system with staffing etc too. How stable the company is, do they have a history in this industry etc is pretty important too. You need to purchase the machine that you feel the best about for sure.

Eric is correct, I am an advantage distributor now. I was a flexi-jet distributor until a few months ago as well as an owner/operator in our screenprint and embroidery shop. With all that said I still would advise you to do your research, be careful to take everything you hear people say here, on the phone, in the advertising & at the show with a grain of salt. At the end of the day you will have a machine in your shop without anybody there so all the other things play a part in how comfortable you will be when that happens.

Enjoy the process and do what is in your best interest no matter what. You will have success if you have a good handle on what your expectations are versus what the realities are with direct to garment printing.

Tom

#7 ·

There are a couple of other direct-to-garment printers out there (i.e. Fast T-Jet by US Screen, DTG by SWF East, ) that will be at the Orlando Show. My recommendation is to go to the show with a plan of how you are going to evaluate the different machines in order to make your decision. These factors are specific to your company (i.e. cost of machine, cost of ink, production speed, easy of use, white ink capable,...). Below is a link to a page that is full of spreadsheets that will help you compare different machines by making sure you ask them all the same questions, comparing the different cost per ink for each machine and to help determine your ROI for each machine based on your numbers (pricing, ink cost,...). I would also recommend writing down the person you spoke to at each company so once you make your decision, you can follow and make sure that they answer the same question exactly the same (no bait and switch). Seems like a lot of work, but in the long run you will be happy you put the effort in.

Screenprinting and Digital Garment Printing University

By the way, one of the guys that helped with these spreadsheets is Brian Walker and he will be working the T-Quoter booth at the show. Feel free to ask Brian or myself (I will be at Roeder Industries #344) questions as well. Hope this helps. Enjoy the show.

Mark Bagley

#9 ·

The reason why the distributor did not know about the DTG is M&R said that they are not selling the DTG through its distributors - only direct sales with the manufacturer. The machine will most likely be at the Orlando Show since it was at the Long Beach Show. It was located all the way in the center of the booth in Long Beach, but it could be in a different spot for this show.

#11 ·

I am not even sure if they are actually selling machines already. I believe they were soft launching it for the time being. Here is a link to a friend's webpage that he put the pdf marketing brochure up for another post - http://www.thebatcave8k.com/host/Sport-D_Printer.pdf. This should give you a snap shot of the machine and highlight the features / capabilities. It is always best to see it in action.

#14 ·

I am interested in the whole nylon thing myself. Most of the other products can print on silk with pretty good results but nylon thing has been impossible. the only water based ink dtg type machine i know printing on nylon is the kornit. this might be a typo too though you never know.

tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.