[Flexi-Jet Model S] Print fades after one wash - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > BelQuette
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future owners of BelQuette manufactured machines, including the MOD-1 DTG machine and the Flexi-Jet set series of printers.

[Flexi-Jet Model S] Print fades after one wash

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 5th, 2009 Nov 5, 2009 7:31:24 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Brian S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Print fades after one wash

I recently printed 50 shirts for a swim club. The logo is in Blue on White shirts. I printed @ 360E x2passes and flashed @ 330F for 25 secs then heated @330F for 25 secs twice with a 10 sec break between heatings with light pressure. Am I doing it wrong? The customer has complained that after one wash the shirts looks faded and 'old'(their choice of word).
I have done another 50 shirt job for a different swim club using Red ink on white shirts and will be delivering these today, but i'm worried that I might get the same complaint since my method of printing was the same.
I'm using Dupont inks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2009 Nov 5, 2009 10:44:25 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Kevin
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: Print fades after one wash

The temperature/time for curing textile ink is 350 degrees for 1 minute per ink layer...light pressure. Try changing to this procedure, then do a wash test to ensure washability.

Old November 5th, 2009 Nov 5, 2009 12:28:56 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

We've actually found that using light pressure with the Dupont inks results in more ink loss after washing. If you increase your pressure to med/heavy (make sure not to scorch) it makes a big difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to jeremyc For This Useful Post:
kevrokr (November 5th, 2009)

Old November 5th, 2009 Nov 5, 2009 12:44:42 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Kip

We had an orange design on a white shirt that looked faded after a wash. It actually wasn't loosing ink so much as the shirt fiber was lifting and making it look faded. You could check this because with a quick iron of the shirt to lay the fiber back down it looked much better again. (but of course that wasn't feasable to tell the customer) We switched to ring spun shirts and that helped. Also make sure that the customer is washing them correctly.

Kip

Old November 5th, 2009 Nov 5, 2009 1:20:11 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Dan

Dan

Last edited by YoDan; November 6th, 2009 at 04:14 AM..

Old November 5th, 2009 Nov 5, 2009 3:26:51 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Brian S

Don't be like that Dan. What's wrong with seeking opinions from whomever? Not everyone on "the other place" is a member here and vice versa. In fact the question was posted on both forums within minutes of each other. No disrespect meant but different opinions do matter to me.

Old November 5th, 2009 Nov 5, 2009 5:47:21 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

Another offensive and condescending post from Dan...surprise surprise

Old November 6th, 2009 Nov 6, 2009 5:13:38 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

We've also had weird and unexpected results with some shirts of the same batch. We had an order a few months back for 1200 shirts. Several boxes of 72 shirts each, all white, all the same shirt from the same company. Midway through the run, we started to see very significant color bleeding of the blacks and blues into our reds and yellows during prints. We also noticed that the red was laying down in a very "splotchy and uneven" way. And we were getting an overall very uneven and fuzzy print. After several hours of doing nozzle checks and cleanings and checking the whole printer over to no avail we decided to print the same design on our stock of shirts which were the same type the customer shippped to us. They printed fine. We narrowed it down to the 72 shirts in one certain box that were somehow either treated with something or where exposed to something that was causing the print to degrade. The other 8 boxes of their shirts printed fine.

Old November 6th, 2009 Nov 6, 2009 5:16:10 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Don't be like that Dan. What's wrong with seeking opinions from whomever? Not everyone on "the other place" is a member here and vice versa. In fact the question was posted on both forums within minutes of each other. No disrespect meant but different opinions do matter to me.
Not to mention that not everyone here is "allowed" to be on the "other place" because their account has been mysteriously suspended

Old November 6th, 2009 Nov 6, 2009 5:21:29 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Dan

Quote:
not everyone here is "allowed" to be on the "other place"
Hey life goes on, "Enjoy it while you can"
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"

Old November 6th, 2009 Nov 6, 2009 5:42:36 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

If you are using Dupont inks they recommend 170'c which is about 338'f for 2 minutes on lights (no white ink) and 3 minutes on darks (with white ink). My guess is that your curing the shirts for too short of a time. I always suggest that customers do their own wash testing to confirm the validity of their curing process (times & temperatures).

Hope this helps!

Old November 6th, 2009 Nov 6, 2009 6:17:57 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Mark

Quote:
We narrowed it down to the 72 shirts in one certain box that were somehow either treated with something or where exposed to something that was causing the print to degrade. The other 8 boxes of their shirts printed fine.
I have also seen this happen, however quite rarely. It has to do will the sizing chemicals they use to treat the cotton during manufacturing, for example, if too much softener is used in the process it can actual repel water based inks.
When ordering boxes of tees' from the same manufacturer it may help to ask if they all come from one place as they should know were they buy from.
The county of origin should be marked on the box.

The Following User Says Thank You to Belquette For This Useful Post:
jeremyc (November 6th, 2009)
Old November 6th, 2009 Nov 6, 2009 8:52:26 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks Mark. That's great advice and it was one of the first things we checked. However we found that the box was divided between 2 countries as were the rest. However we bought replacements and were reimbursed for the defective shirts. This is something we will now look for if we start to see issues as should others.

Old June 27th, 2010 Jun 27, 2010 10:45:49 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Dear Kip,

I am myself facing same problem that you once had. My printing fades after a few times of washing as the fiber lifting up. I am just don't know how to deal with that. I am using a 3rd party ink (inktec heat transfer ink). Actually, the ink did loose a bit. Could you advise me on this? What do mean by "ring spun shirts". Does OEM work better than 3rd party ones?

This is a discussion about Print fades after one wash that was posted in the BelQuette section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in