American Apparel style brand in NZ - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Region Specific T-Shirt Information > Australia and New Zealand
T-Shirt information for Australia and New Zealand

American Apparel style brand in NZ

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 2nd, 2009 Feb 2, 2009 6:07:28 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Nathan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default American Apparel style brand in NZ

Hey guys,
Just wondering if anybody knew the tshirt manufacturer opperating out of NZ that has apparently created a similar brand to American Apparel..... but in NZ...and is apparently alot cheaper than American apparel... which is why i'm after it.
One of my mates stumbled accross the site but forgot the name

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance
Nathan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2009 Feb 2, 2009 11:11:51 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: American Apparel style brand in NZ

Hi Nathan, have you tried the new Gildan Ring Spun T's? These are really nice fabric and fitted. Also the price is F'in amazing for a T/Shirt of this quality. check out: Gildan Asia/Pacific

Or u can email [email protected] for details.

Old February 3rd, 2009 Feb 3, 2009 12:24:16 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewbeginning
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anybody knew the tshirt manufacturer opperating out of NZ that has apparently created a similar brand to American Apparel..... but in NZ...and is apparently alot cheaper than American apparel... which is why i'm after it.
One of my mates stumbled accross the site but forgot the name

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance
Nathan
Hi Nathan,

I'm not 100% sure if this is the same supplier/manufacturer your thinking about ( AsColour ), I also don't know their prices compared with American Apparel. But I do know that they operate out of NZ as we purchase their tees. They've just opened a warehouse in Sydney also.

Regards,

The Following User Says Thank You to Tizz For This Useful Post:
anewbeginning (February 3rd, 2009)

Old February 3rd, 2009 Feb 3, 2009 1:17:03 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Thats the one...thanks

I came across them a while ago and asked for a price list but nobody got back to me. They were probably in the process of setting up the Sydney warehouse and i got lost in the madness.

Old February 3rd, 2009 Feb 3, 2009 2:14:43 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewbeginning
Thats the one...thanks

I came across them a while ago and asked for a price list but nobody got back to me. They were probably in the process of setting up the Sydney warehouse and i got lost in the madness.
I'm pretty sure their prices are listed on their website.

Old February 3rd, 2009 Feb 3, 2009 12:54:02 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Ireckon these guys are too expensive. You can get the same product from Gildan at half the price of AS Colour. And most of their product is very similar.

Old February 3rd, 2009 Feb 3, 2009 2:56:18 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

The AS brand is marketed to look more fashionable which is what my clientel is after.
With Gildan, I have felt they are marketed more as a cheap solution for promotional tees (although they do sell for $11 at Target). When I first started out i took a serious look at Gildan purely for the price, however this price also altered my perception of the brand.

Personally what i think Gildan should do is to develop a branch targeting this fashion market with low cut singlet tops, low cut vnecks for guys (big hole in the market with these, nobody seems to be doing it) and lightweight fitted tees then charging a premium on it.

If it was up to myself I would base my decisions on value for money alone however I have to think about my clientel and what they want.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by printon
Ireckon these guys are too expensive. You can get the same product from Gildan at half the price of AS Colour. And most of their product is very similar.

Old February 3rd, 2009 Feb 3, 2009 3:10:31 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

Actually printon is referring to the 64000 which is like an American Apparel alternative. its a new range released last last year so you might not have seen it in their old catalogues.

Old February 3rd, 2009 Feb 3, 2009 3:12:33 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Intersting, I Wwouldn't dis**** Gildan just because they are cheaper. I the quality fo the shirt is sperior to the AAA stuff wich is widely known in the US industry. (I was just over at the ISS show).

The reason Gildan is able to be priced better and be better value for money than any other T on the market is that they make 1.4million of them a day! and they are fully vertically integrated. They are all made from USA grown cotton in Central American Plants.

Why charge more when you don't need to. Isn't that just taking advantage of people?

LOL - I just read this and it sounds like I work for Gildan. I can assure you i don't, we just use a lot of their product and they look after me very well.

Old February 3rd, 2009 Feb 3, 2009 4:05:49 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

AS Colour: Blank T-Shirts, Plain T-Shirts, Wholesale T-Shirts - planning on using these guys organic tees... and they have a cool competition running at the moment for designers

Old February 3rd, 2009 Feb 3, 2009 4:08:34 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by printon
Intersting, I Wwouldn't dis**** Gildan just because they are cheaper. I the quality fo the shirt is sperior to the AAA stuff wich is widely known in the US industry. (I was just over at the ISS show).

The reason Gildan is able to be priced better and be better value for money than any other T on the market is that they make 1.4million of them a day! and they are fully vertically integrated. They are all made from USA grown cotton in Central American Plants.

Why charge more when you don't need to. Isn't that just taking advantage of people?

LOL - I just read this and it sounds like I work for Gildan. I can assure you i don't, we just use a lot of their product and they look after me very well.

hahaha...i thought you did
Im not dissing Gildan, their positioning just doesnt gel with my market. I got a few samples from them and think their quality is great for the price.
And charging more when you dont need to isn't taking advantage of people, its business.

Take for example water. Why do people charge so much for water out of a bottle when you can get it practically for free out of a tap?

Ah, ill check out the new line...thanks Zhen...

Old February 3rd, 2009 Feb 3, 2009 8:49:12 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I suppose it comes down to personal preference. We've purchased many samples from a range of suppliers and we liked Ascolour the best. Indeed we are paying a little more but our customers really like the quality and so do we. Not to dis Gildan but I just didn't like the necks on their tees.

and I don't work for ascolour! ....lol

Old February 8th, 2009 Feb 8, 2009 11:09:09 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

There's a pic of a model wearing the 64000 on the link from the second post... the Gildan's look really short in the picture, i.e. just over the belt line. Where as the AA's tend to run pretty long.

Is the cut on a Gildan 64000 similar to a AA 2001? Looks pretty different from the model picture on the Gildan site.

Old February 9th, 2009 Feb 9, 2009 11:31:19 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Not sure how the AA 2001 is. The picture on the Gildan site is not a good one. The length is fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to printon For This Useful Post:
acetate (February 9th, 2009)

This is a discussion about American Apparel style brand in NZ that was posted in the Australia and New Zealand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in