[NEW ZEALAND] - DTG Kiosk nightmare - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Region Specific T-Shirt Information > Australia and New Zealand
T-Shirt information for Australia and New Zealand

[NEW ZEALAND] - DTG Kiosk nightmare

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 11th, 2008 Oct 11, 2008 1:22:41 AM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: DTG Kiosk nightmare

Now that you have the lines all clear, be sure to have ink/prints running everday, even if its just a small print that uses all the colors.

Also, have you ever backflushed your dampers?

The Following User Says Thank You to zhenjie For This Useful Post:
MNO (October 11th, 2008)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2008 Oct 11, 2008 1:46:22 AM -   #17 (permalink)
MNO
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Helen

Thumbs up Re: DTG Kiosk nightmare

OK I'll give the daily print thing a go. Its going to take reorganising work schedules but if it means not loosing days and days on trying to fix the damned thing, not to mention a few customers along the way, it'll all be worth it.

I back flushed the dampers for the first time today, just the white ones. We have replaced the dampers numerous times before now... I only wish the instruction manual that came with the printer had advised us to use cleaning solution instead of distilled water...could've saved myself $$$ and done wonders for my mental health

Thanks for your help. If it weren't for this forum, I think I would be looking at getting as far away from DTG printing as possible right now!

Old October 11th, 2008 Oct 11, 2008 2:59:05 AM -   #18 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I had given credence to the idea of getting a used dtg printer, as my current sublimation set up doesn't allow me to print onto darks. When I read threads like this though, I think that it would turn into nightmare alley, owning a dtg with white ink capability.

I know pigment inks clog far more regularly than dye inks, but white ink appears to be 'the devil in disguise'. Wouldn't it be a better situation, if manufacturers developed a white ink people could live with, rather than the harassed owners wasting all this endless time every week.

Old October 11th, 2008 Oct 11, 2008 12:02:14 PM -   #19 (permalink)
MNO
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Post Re: DTG Kiosk nightmare

You're not wrong Will. The source of all the problems with our DTG printer is really that the thing is full of bugs which have the potential to ruin your day, or in our case, your business, because we rely completely on it, and they're bugs that the manufacturer, for whatever reason, doesn't tell you about. We've had to find things out for ourselves (like this latest episode), and I don't know about your part of the world, but technical support is really thin on the ground in our neck of the woods.

What I'd really like to see is the manufacturers setting up a service which allows users to report problems and fixes and the manufacturers validating those and communicating back to the users... it's all one way traffic at the moment (well we personally don't have any communication with the manufacturer unless its us pleading for their help with our latest problem!).

I don't think the issues with the white ink are going to be solved any time soon... having said that, when our printer is running well, it produces stunning prints on dark colours...I'm just not sure its all been worth it

Old October 11th, 2008 Oct 11, 2008 1:18:23 PM -   #20 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

I have to say that I love my white printing machine The problem that comes about is that the distributor fails to mention the maintenance it takes to keep it running well. If you get proper information, and have a good maintenance routine down, then you will be a happy printer. The white ink needs the titanium dioxide to print opaque, thus making it also take more care, as it is a ink with metal in it. Once the owner understands how to take care of the machine though, they are really great.

This forum is a really great place for learning how to get your machine to run its best, as their is a ton of information here that covers just about everything you can possible come accross. I think it was really irresponsible of the distributor who sold this machine, in not suggesting the proper cleaning supplies needed to keep the machine running its best. This is the first time I have seen that a distributor did not let the customer know how important is was to use a good cleaning solution to break down ink build up.

I hope your printer runs better now for you Also if you look in the dtg section, and do a search on Maintenance, you will also find alot of other great tips, for things you can do to get better performance from you machine

The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydayz For This Useful Post:
MNO (October 11th, 2008)
Old October 11th, 2008 Oct 11, 2008 2:33:48 PM -   #21 (permalink)
MNO
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Smile Re: DTG Kiosk nightmare

Thanks BobbieLee, I am so grateful to everyone who posted replies to my cry for help...you have no idea I hope I can do the same for someone else one day.

Old October 11th, 2008 Oct 11, 2008 8:36:37 PM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: John

I have a couple of suggestions. As the white ink has to be moved or agitated to keep the titanium oxide in suspension a gem tumbler would be ideal to keep the spare containers of white slowly moving 24/7. You would need a cardboard frame to secure the bottles inside.

In the pix it is the red machine, cost about $180.

And if it isn't likely to harm components, how about using compressed air in a can to dislodge gunk prior to flushing.

Back flushing into a seperate glass container means your allowing the solids to settle out and the cleaning solution can be re-used on none critical components. A penny saved is as good as a penny earned!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thumler_AR1_02.jpg (6.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png 250__1_45cair_fullsize.jpg.png (41.9 KB, 4 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to BigSexyJohn For This Useful Post:
MNO (October 12th, 2008)
Old October 12th, 2008 Oct 12, 2008 7:35:08 AM -   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Matt & Sandy

Helen,

I apologize for the delay...out running around. Anyway, the tubing upgrade is where you actually remove all of the valves and discard them. (I kept ours in a box on a shelf). The entire tubing is discarded from the machine and replaced with an entire new set of tubing that goes directly from the ink bottles to the print head. It is a fantastic upgrade, because once you get rid of the valves you no longer introduce air into the system through the poorly made valves that have no seals. I had complained about those from the day we got the machine. I was actually in the process of making my own system like that before they (SWF East) posted that they had an upgrade.

Thanks again for your inputs.
Matt

Old October 12th, 2008 Oct 12, 2008 7:40:56 AM -   #24 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Matt & Sandy

Our pre-treat problems are a nightmare. At first they (the company) did not dilute it, then they told us not to dilute it, then they told us to dilute. Oh the headaches we've had. Every time we use the pre-treat we test wash a shirt after the fact and the design print cracks and peels off of the shirt. It does not hold up in the wash at all and we have not had a single dark shirt work to the level of what they report they can do. We even use the Wagner power sprayer as well as well as back brushing too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Old October 12th, 2008 Oct 12, 2008 3:38:13 PM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

Matt, if the white ink tends to crack and peel you either have too much pretreatment sprayed onto the t-shirt. OR, the t-shirt you are using is not up to the job of holding in the pretreatment and white ink.

Another issue may be your curing process after the print is done. I had similar issues with curing because my heatpress was retaining too much moisture when curing white ink. So I replaced my rubber pad on the heatpress with a Nomex pad from equipmentzone, it has certainly helped the white ink color curing.

Also, I stick with one brand of t-shirt now so I know how much pretreatment to put down every single time. No more guesswork.

Old October 12th, 2008 Oct 12, 2008 4:38:15 PM -   #26 (permalink)
MNO
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Matt, something else that has helped the longevity of our dark shirts is that after the initial heat press we lift up the press, move the paper around and then re-press for another 10 seconds, just to get that last little bit of moisture out. What ratio are you using to dilute the pretreat?

Old October 12th, 2008 Oct 12, 2008 11:09:26 PM -   #27 (permalink)
MNO
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Post Re: DTG Kiosk nightmare

John, thanks for the suggestion re the gem polisher. Is this something you've found useful? Strangely enough we have a gem polisher lying around the house...apparently I went through a phase when I was younger...

Old October 12th, 2008 Oct 12, 2008 11:40:38 PM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: John

Hi Helen, I only do transfers, but I was thinking back many years when I built a hot rod and the paint had to be stirred so much I whipped out the old gem tumbler and kept the tins moving in the plastic drums which made it so much better at the point of use. Similar situation except the paint I was using was a one shot mix and if I made a mistake and had to use my reserve supply I was in trouble if I needed a repair later!

As they say "Necessity is the motherhood of invention"!

This is a discussion about DTG Kiosk nightmare that was posted in the Australia and New Zealand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in