Stock transfers v. DIY - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Region Specific T-Shirt Information > Australia and New Zealand
T-Shirt information for Australia and New Zealand

Stock transfers v. DIY

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 2nd, 2008 Sep 2, 2008 6:22:02 AM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: spankthafunk
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Stock transfers v. DIY

Quote:
Hey you back-slapping guys...I was NOT asking about an "illegal activity" at all. Nor am I complaining.....at all.
But you are asking about an illegal activity when you stated:

"Recently I've been buying one at a time (from Ebay - much dearer than Proworld, etc.) and reproducing them on my printer.""

and

"...so I pressed a heap of solid pictures only (Noddy, Wiggles, The Cars, etc)..."

Quote:
Say.... a woman buys an iron-on transfer for her kid's party....she reprints it 10 times and irons it onto t-shirts. The local newspaper comes around and takes photos of the party. Who's going to get sued? The mother, the newspaper or the seller of the original transfer?
Noone. BUT, if the woman were to buy one transfer and reprint it twenty times, then the woman will be sued for reprinting something that she does not own, since she only purchased the original one. It's like purchasing one license of Adobe Photoshop but putting it twenty computers at your office. You only paid for the one copy.

Quote:
Get REAL.
If you can cite me a legal precedent, (of someone going to court for reprinting mass-produced transfers) then I'll happily concede (defeat, submission and Promise Never To To It Again).
And please don't try to tell me you've never, ever, reprinted mass-produced transfers yourselves.
Cheers, Sophie
Sophie, everyone around this forum is just trying to help and keep people from doing illegal activities. I agree that you should not be as rude and try researching these items yourself or contacting a lawyer if you are unsure whether or not you are doing is illegal. But Negligence of the Law Does NOT mean you can still break the law. You can't say that you didn't know drinking and driving was illegal, it won't fly.

Here are some links:

Dear Mark - T-Shirt Trekkie

U.S. Copyright Office

ps. - I have never mass produced t-shirts under copyright infringement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2008 Sep 2, 2008 6:24:19 AM -   #17 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie2006
"First sale doctrine"? Please explain.
It's not really pertinent to this discussion, it just answered the (rhetorical) question you asked above. If you really care you can easily look it up yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie2006
It's not as if I'm reproducing the Mona Lisa, for Heaven's Sake
"It's not as if I'm stealing much, for Heaven's Sake."

I don't think we're really interested in the justifications. As business owners with intellectual property of our own, we're not particularly sympathetic to intellectual property theft.

Why would the Mona Lisa be more sacred than Grover? In fact, Da Vinci is long dead and the Mona Lisa out of copyright. Reproduce away.

Few of us are angels (I've infringed copyright before, I will probably do it again; few of us could honestly say otherwise), but we don't base a business on it.

As you can tell from the reaction here there's a line. Most of us consider ourselves on the right side of it, and what you're doing on the wrong side of it. This isn't just one individual pointing the finger, it's a consensus viewpoint arrived at by a group, forming a social standard.

Make of that what you will, but as a professional community of an industry you're participating in, we think what you're doing is a bad idea. And that is the answer to your question.

Old September 2nd, 2008 Sep 2, 2008 6:27:42 AM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: spankthafunk

so basically, if you were to come up with this new amazing idea, something that was "in" and stayed "in" the t-shirt market for say 2 years, and say that you made $10,000 off of your idea. . .you wouldn't want everyone on this forum (over thousands and thousands of members) taking your "great" idea and mass reproducing it themselves for their own benefit. I work very hard on my own artwork and don't believe people should be profitting off of the hard labor and love that I put into designing it. . .

. . .unless of course you were paying me to use it!

Old September 2nd, 2008 Sep 2, 2008 4:39:56 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks, guys, for all your informative input.
I wasn't cranky, just pretty gobsmacked how an innocent (or so I thought) question could turn into a debacle, for want of a better word! I try to do most things by the book, and when I was told by traders they didn't care what I did with a transfer once I'd purchased it, thought I had carte blanche...I even wrote to one seller asking if what they were selling was legal (trademarks). Now I understand why I never received a reply!
I'll try not to chastise myself tooooo much as I honestly thought it was common practice, and didn't set out to rattle anyone's cage.
Guess I've answered my own original question now, huh?
Cheers, Sophie

Old September 2nd, 2008 Sep 2, 2008 9:10:10 PM -   #20 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Sophie, we all just wanted to help you from making a costly mistake. The few dollars you made, would have been eaten up and more from legal expenses and/or fines. If you want to make transfer check out royalty free clipart and have fun. I wish you the best of luck. .... JB

Old September 3rd, 2008 Sep 3, 2008 1:25:23 PM -   #21 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Nick

It's ok, you're still allowed to eat the free t-shortforum muffins on the stand over there.

We're cuddly teddy bears really (apart from Solmu. He draws blood)

Old September 3rd, 2008 Sep 3, 2008 10:17:46 PM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Nick

You know what Sophie, im so mad at you im going to have to forgive you HA HA HA. It's a joke. Were just trying to help you out here. Goodluck.

Old September 8th, 2008 Sep 8, 2008 8:40:13 PM -   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

On this topic does anyone know of any sites where you can buy artwork images that can legally be reproduced onto t-shirts. Similar to what Sophie was doing but in a legal way...

E.g. An artist creates an original work and licenses it for unlimited reproduction in exchange for a once off payment. Similar to how you can buy a vector pack or a font for a once off payment that can be used for commercial purposes - same deal but with t-shirt images.

Thanks.

Old September 9th, 2008 Sep 9, 2008 5:36:51 AM -   #24 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetate
On this topic does anyone know of any sites where you can buy artwork images that can legally be reproduced onto t-shirts. Similar to what Sophie was doing but in a legal way...

E.g. An artist creates an original work and licenses it for unlimited reproduction in exchange for a once off payment. Similar to how you can buy a vector pack or a font for a once off payment that can be used for commercial purposes - same deal but with t-shirt images.

Thanks.
Try istockphoto.com. I am using some of their stuff and its pretty good. Some of it ain't but you only have to pay for what you want to use. There is also clipart.com but their stuff isn't quite as good as the better stuff at Istockphoto. Good luck.

Old September 10th, 2008 Sep 10, 2008 7:11:54 PM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Justin

In case there is any doubt about illegal merchandise being Policed, this week at the Adelaide Show the Police have done exactly that on impoted knock off's

Old September 10th, 2008 Sep 10, 2008 7:55:41 PM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Juanita

Hey Sophie,
I have to agree with the others, reproducing someone elses work is never good for any business. Besides, there's nothing more unique than your OWN designs and that is what sets you apart from all the rest. To put it in short, (hypothetically speaking) if you were to sell your tshirts at a special event where there 10 other vendors other than you, and everyone pretty much ahd the same idea, wouldn't you rather have a different or better product to obtain the most possible sales? See what I mean? Do your own thing. be different.
-jjsmalls08

Old September 11th, 2008 Sep 11, 2008 6:27:07 AM -   #27 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmalls08
Hey Sophie,
I have to agree with the others, reproducing someone elses work is never good for any business. Besides, there's nothing more unique than your OWN designs and that is what sets you apart from all the rest. To put it in short, (hypothetically speaking) if you were to sell your tshirts at a special event where there 10 other vendors other than you, and everyone pretty much ahd the same idea, wouldn't you rather have a different or better product to obtain the most possible sales? See what I mean? Do your own thing. be different.
-jjsmalls08
Hi Juanita. What you say is true but some of us only have talent in observing when it comes to art. I know what looks good but can't draw or even come up with a concept as far as art work goes. BUT I can do the mechanical part of the work and present a nice product for sale at reasonable prices. I have seen things for sale on the web that I can do for a fraction of what they are getting. AND I can personalize everything I do (once I get everything lined up) so a customer has essentially a one of a kind garment, A TRUE DESIGNER ORIGINAL. You know, if the artist hasn't the will or time to produce AND market their ideas or art, they will never get anything from it. Also I have seen sales where large, sofa sized, hand painted, original art work was sold for less than 20 dollars. When I buy (in one form or another, I pay for my pics) artwork, I am participating in a mutually beneficial arrangement. Sorry, kinda took a left turn there.

Old September 11th, 2008 Sep 11, 2008 6:44:23 AM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: linda

I would stick with the stock transfers. The Hot Split ones really lasts. When you think of the ink you are using to make copies, is it really worth it. I'm sure your customers would be happier in the long run. I keep asking mine if they have any trouble and they say they have held up real good. I buy a lot from pro world using their web site and if you enlarge it, it shows if it is hot split or not.
Play safe, keep away the bad guys, buy stock transfers, and save your ink for something else.
lindaschallenge

Old September 21st, 2008 Sep 21, 2008 3:23:34 PM -   #29 (permalink)
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Post Re: Stock transfers v. DIY

Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand — Homepage

Always have to do some research before you start. This web will give you full info.

This is a discussion about Stock transfers v. DIY that was posted in the Australia and New Zealand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in