Has anyone in Aus bought a heat press on Ebay? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Region Specific T-Shirt Information > Australia and New Zealand
T-Shirt information for Australia and New Zealand

Has anyone in Aus bought a heat press on Ebay?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 6th, 2008 Aug 6, 2008 10:03:04 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Has anyone in Aus bought a heat press on Ebay?

I am thinking of purchasing a heat press on ebay. I have had no luck in sourcing a good second hand press and due to my tight budget ebay is my next option. I was thinking of a swing press as it is for vinyl to tshirt application. Any feedback?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2008 Aug 9, 2008 7:02:31 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: John

Default Re: Has anyone in Aus bought a heat press on Ebay?

Hi Little Red, funny you should ask that! Before I logged on I was in Ebay and I looked at the heat presses myself. Now I am not an expert but my overall impression is "What a load of old rubbish"! We have a lot of people who are bringing in all sorts of products from China and heat presses are amongst them. You would be buying a "Pig in a poke" and you would be paying ripoff rates for freight. There is one clown on eBay with an $89 heat press who charges $199 for freight! Second hand ones are thin on the ground today but when I have checked in the past many have been smaller than 38cmx38cm. If your doing big transfers 38x38 is good, but if you have a smaller press you can't do big transfers! And you need even heat over the platten so you can't test an eBay purchase before you buy it. Consider a new one. Ok, you may have to go into hock for it but it's new and will come with guarantee. It will probably be dearer than eBay press but at least you got piece of mind....and someone local to deal with. Cheers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigSexyJohn For This Useful Post:
flyingfig (August 26th, 2008), little red (August 9th, 2008)
Old August 9th, 2008 Aug 9, 2008 7:25:40 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I 'm in The States, but The Ebay press' are junk. Buyer beware. ...... JB

Last edited by COEDS; August 10th, 2008 at 12:52 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to COEDS For This Useful Post:
flyingfig (August 26th, 2008)

Old August 10th, 2008 Aug 10, 2008 3:55:52 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tania
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Swing press would be my pick over clam. Just not from ebay.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D.Evo. For This Useful Post:
flyingfig (August 26th, 2008), little red (August 10th, 2008)
Old August 10th, 2008 Aug 10, 2008 3:25:50 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Thanks for the replies. I wish my lead for the used heat press hadnt fell through, they are really hard to come across it seems. I was hoping someone had some luck with ebay. I know some are dirt cheap but there are others that are slighlty more expensive with a warranty. It is tempting to try my luck...

Old August 10th, 2008 Aug 10, 2008 3:48:55 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

I am a newby, but I would think that the risk of buying a used one that may not work out would cost you alot more in cash and time and frustration (all are considered expenses in my world) A new one would be a shorter road to success. justa thougfht from a newby carolynspaintings

Old August 10th, 2008 Aug 10, 2008 7:32:37 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Hi Little Red, what I am gunna say is strange......but is it possible the local dry-cleaner could do heat press work??? OK the presses are generally steam heated, but the local guy that does my suits presses some things with-out steam. I've watched him, just never thought to ask him about it! If your got a batch of transfers to do it would be an easy way to get them done for little cost.

Any experienced members chip in anytime.....

Or is it another crazy idea from down under!

Old August 10th, 2008 Aug 10, 2008 7:44:50 PM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Might be using an Elna press... it's basically a giant flatbed iron. Not ideal for transfers, but some people do use them.

Old August 10th, 2008 Aug 10, 2008 7:50:25 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Hi Lewis, it looks bigger than the Elna press. My concern would be heat control and coverage.

Old August 10th, 2008 Aug 10, 2008 11:51:16 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

You wouldn't want a very big heatpress that exceeds your needs. There would be problems with preassure and temperature control.

My backup heatpress is one I purchased many years ago from eBay. It still runs fine if you take care of it. Can't say that all eBay heatpresses will be as good.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zhenjie For This Useful Post:
flyingfig (August 26th, 2008), little red (August 11th, 2008)
Old November 20th, 2008 Nov 20, 2008 3:21:03 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: ben

I bought a HIX 38cm x 38cm clamshell from ebay about a year ago from people who didnt use it. worth $1700 (best quote new) i got it for $900. Works perfectly. I must say though, I watched listings for about 4 months before finding it. Stick to known brands listed around this site (Hix, Instapress etc) Also try the trading post. Dont risk the no name chinese brands, just be persistant. good luck!

Old November 22nd, 2008 Nov 22, 2008 2:30:46 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by exittshirts
I bought a HIX 38cm x 38cm clamshell from ebay about a year ago from people who didnt use it. worth $1700 (best quote new) i got it for $900. Works perfectly. I must say though, I watched listings for about 4 months before finding it. Stick to known brands listed around this site (Hix, Instapress etc) Also try the trading post. Dont risk the no name chinese brands, just be persistant. good luck!
Hi,

You definitely got this Hix for a bargain! Absolute work horse.... I was after one myself about a year or so ago and couldn't get on below $1000 (second hand aswell). But I purchased a new Heat Master same size and never had a problem. Paid around $1500 for it with a year warranty and life time replacement on the heating element. It's turned on normally for 9 hours straight for 2 days at a temp of 155°c.

Little red my advice is to stay away from unknown brands! stretch your budget a little further and invest in something worthwhile now
than running into drama's later.
Ebay one's may be a good price but you get what you pay for in the end.
By the way, my press is a clam and I choose to use vinyl only.

My next press will be a HIX! once this press I've got makes me a little more mula

Regards

Old December 1st, 2008 Dec 1, 2008 3:29:12 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Justin

I have a HIX and also a "cheap" press, as the cheap one has digital control it gets used the most, lots of vinyl work.

Hasn't missed a beat. I would personally go the opposite way to a previous post and say DON'T go in to hock for a press. If the cheap one is what you can afford go get one, if the business is a success you will be able to fund buying a hix or similar. If it doesn't work out then you haven't gone in to debt for it.

Where are you located? Maybe other members in your area can help out with the use of their press for a minimal fee for now?

And do a search for ebay press and cheap press in the forum, you will get some good responses from plenty of people useing them, just don't expect it to last forever.

Old December 1st, 2008 Dec 1, 2008 3:46:45 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Rick

Hello, i am in US and bought 5 of the 16x24 Eat$#%$ Bay. heat presses that were 329.00 each free shipping, digital, english model with a 30 day warranty. It's been 3 months and only one works still, the one I took out of the box today. They have started on fire, the digital timer works once in awhile, when a buzzer does go off, it doesn't turn off. You name it, and it could happen to your press. I ate my losses but there not my only presses, I have a good air operated dual swing and a 70" heat roll press machine, I should of known better. If you see that stupid yellow HOT!! sticker on the front RUN. Good Luck, check classified ads on this forum, craigs list, call some printers who might be downsizing, get a good one.

Rick

Old December 2nd, 2008 Dec 2, 2008 2:50:24 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Gees Rick, after number 2 you should have known better! For the $1600 you could have bought one of the name brands and got years of service out of it.

This is a discussion about Has anyone in Aus bought a heat press on Ebay? that was posted in the Australia and New Zealand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in