Sourcing screen printing equipment in australia - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Region Specific T-Shirt Information > Australia and New Zealand
T-Shirt information for Australia and New Zealand

Sourcing screen printing equipment in australia

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 11th, 2008 Mar 11, 2008 9:39:32 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Sourcing screen printing equipment in australia

Hi,
Im trying to build a exposure box to expose my screens in but all the suppliers in my area (brisbane) don't have any of the uv fluro tubes in stock, and wont get them for me in small orders. Is there any other sort of cheapish exposure lights i could use? or order online?

is $1500 reasonable for a flash dryer?
could i just use heat lamps or something?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2008 Apr 10, 2008 1:25:08 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Daniel

Default Re: Sourcing screen printing equipment in australia

I see flash dryers and exposure units on ebay ll the time. Dan

Old April 18th, 2008 Apr 18, 2008 6:28:37 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hello Fork I am starting out as well.

For a light box Bunnings has a 500 Watt UV Light for about $10 on a Stand.

Your method technically will work but it may cause shadows due to the source of the light. There are a few videos on YouTube explaining this.

For a flash dryer alternative try the following.

First thing you need to do is to find out what tempeture your paint cures at.

Using my method you will need a laser thermometer which are on special for $69 (RRP $99)at **** Smith Electrical and this one detects the required temp. You will need to buy one that will detect heat at more than 350 degrees. They have a cheapier unit but it only detects about 250 degress max this is not good.

You will also need a heat gun which are cheap.

Lets say its 350 degrees that your paints cure at then what you do is aim the heat gun to the shirt but start at a foot or so away slowly moving forward. At the same time check how hot your screen print on the shirt is using the laser thermometer. Once you hit 350 degress in this example you have applied enough heat for the paint to cure on your shirt and your job is done.

I have thought long and hard about this all week and its the cheapiest way to do this without spending a $1000 plus on equipment.

If you used a conveyor belt heat ddryer setup it does the same thing. It slowly loads your shirt, heats it up and when it reaches the required heat the shirt should be out of the heating section. The manual way takes little longer thats all and is a cheap way to get started.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Last edited by josephfrancis; April 18th, 2008 at 06:37 AM..

Old April 18th, 2008 Apr 18, 2008 6:58:11 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Joe, How's it down in Aus.
I built my own light box and used regular flouresent tubes and it worked well.
At the moment I am using a 1000 Osram photographic quality quartz lamp that I get front a video photography supplier.
My experience with exposure units is that the most important thing is the vacuum. It's hard to get fine detail without it.
I print 1000's of images on a automatic exposing with my lamp and have no problem.
I think a professional exp unit is better but cost big bucks.

Old April 18th, 2008 Apr 18, 2008 5:19:51 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hello MaxieGarb how are you?

Life is good in Oz thanks for asking.

I will keep an open mind of what you suggest. I ahve found for those that are just starting out its best to don't jump in and learn the methods people are using.

Chat Soon.

Joe

Old April 23rd, 2008 Apr 23, 2008 2:50:50 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Justin

Any Lawrence and Hanson or similar should be able to supply the UV lamps if you don't have a bunnings etc nearby.

I am thinking of building a conveyer dryer. Would someone who has a laser thermometer perhaps be able to check out just what temp the high wattage heater elements put out? Could be a relatively cheap heating element, I don't think it would get hot enough but it would be easier than the oven element system. Just a thought as they already have the reflector behind them to even out the heat output. This could be mounted horizontally (bypass tip switch) then just sides to stop heat dissapation away from the conveyer area. Build a basic conveyer that is speed adjustable (So I can keep the item in the "oven" area long enough to heat correctly.)

Old April 23rd, 2008 Apr 23, 2008 4:15:28 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

hi fork,

bunnings have uv tubes in stock- i use 500watt halogen lamp. takes about 14 minutes to burn a screen from about 12inches height. it ok for what i need. i shorter exposure time would be better though. but you cant beat $20 exposure unit compared to $1000+.

best of luck in your new venture

redbackoz

Last edited by Solmu; June 5th, 2008 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: removed url as per forum rules; feel free to add it to your signature

This is a discussion about Sourcing screen printing equipment in australia that was posted in the Australia and New Zealand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in