Adding Grey Screens to a Black & White Separation for Printing on Black - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Advanced Screen Printing Discussion
An area for more advanced screen printing discussions like 4 color and simulated process, specialty printing, and other topics for more experienced screen printers.

Adding Grey Screens to a Black & White Separation for Printing on Black

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RespecttheCraft

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 17th, 2012 Dec 17, 2012 2:51:10 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Matt
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Adding Grey Screens to a Black & White Separation for Printing on Black

Hello everybody,

I'm in the process of separating this image for printing and Im a bit stuck on how to add a grey screen into this B&W print. I've searched around and while there is alot of info on preparing the print as a single color white print on black, I cant find anything detailing a method on adding a grey channel.

If I was printing on white, I would probably use the duotone feature (photoshop) to get a smooth transition between black and grey, but I just cant seem to get good results inverted, and the same is true using the select color tool (photoshop)

Anyone care to shed some light? It would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png MarsBred4s2.png (135.8 KB, 40 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2012 Dec 17, 2012 9:49:34 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: Adding Grey Screens to a Black & White Separation for Printing on Black

I'd sep it as a 6 color with 2 grays if the volume warranted it. Wt, HL Wt, red, k, Lt gray, med gray. One gray will not do it justice. In an ideal world, I would use 7 or 8 colors, ( more grays ) but I'm a perfectionist.

Old December 17th, 2012 Dec 17, 2012 12:52:53 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Default Re: Adding Grey Screens to a Black & White Separation for Printing on Black

yeah maybe two greys, but how do you go about creating your separations? I normally use select color range tool in photoshop to pull out each shade and fill the selection on its own layer.. Normally works well, but I have seen some really pro work out there and would be interested in hearing some other methods!

Old December 18th, 2012 Dec 18, 2012 6:01:39 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: mac

Color range then select>save selection will make your selection into a new channel. Make a new channel for each color using color range, plus a 100% solid channel for the shirt color. You can use levels and curves to tweak each channel.

Old December 19th, 2012 Dec 19, 2012 4:04:46 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

thanks mac.. i couldnt get curves to apply to the channels i made for some reason but what you said gave me an idea.

after color selecting out the grey white and red i used color select again to select the darker greys in the image only (low fuzziness) and then used this selection to [image>adjustments>brightness/contrast] lighten those certain areas of my midtone grey channel. this gave me an excellent multi-tonal grey screen. (3 screens total)
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled-1.png (228.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: png 2.png (274.7 KB, 25 views)

Old May 8th, 2013 May 8, 2013 6:03:35 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Geoff

This tutorial is what I think you're looking for: How To Separate Grayscale Images in Photoshop | Rising Sun GraphicsRising Sun Graphics

This is a discussion about Adding Grey Screens to a Black & White Separation for Printing on Black that was posted in the Advanced Screen Printing Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in