User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Water Based Ink Screen Printing
Discuss water base and discharge screen printing inks and curing methods. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

My design is cursed

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 10, 2017 2:50:57 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Unhappy My design is cursed

The design includes an area 9" x 7" that is mostly one solid color, just a few smaller elements break it up a bit here and there. It prints roughly and unevenly, like the ink is not passing uniformly through the screen, or is being pulled off by the screen.

I use this same ink (Permaset SuperCover Ultra Blue) on a number of designs and it has always printed without a hitch. I have printed this cursed design and another using the same ink minutes apart from each other, and only the cursed design has the problem. Same screen mesh#, off contact, and using the same squeegee.

I use GoldUp USA 200 mesh, which have a pretty decent tension for statics. I also tried a higher tension Shur-Loc in 156 (because that is the only one I have). No difference.

I feel like I'm back at the beginning of trying to get the hang of printing high opacity waterbase

The area in question is the night sky, with a few stars and tree branches cutting across it. I could print the image on a navy shirt instead of black (and thus skip the cursed screen), and ad a black screen for the tree limbs, and the window frame through which one sees the sky. But I would rather print it as designed.

What am I missing? Why can't I print a stupid, more or less, solid block of ink 9" x 7"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 11, 2017 1:10:10 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Robert Taylor
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: My design is cursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXid
The design includes an area 9" x 7" that is mostly one solid color, just a few smaller elements break it up a bit here and there. It prints roughly and unevenly, like the ink is not passing uniformly through the screen, or is being pulled off by the screen.

I use this same ink (Permaset SuperCover Ultra Blue) on a number of designs and it has always printed without a hitch. I have printed this cursed design and another using the same ink minutes apart from each other, and only the cursed design has the problem. Same screen mesh#, off contact, and using the same squeegee.

I use GoldUp USA 200 mesh, which have a pretty decent tension for statics. I also tried a higher tension Shur-Loc in 156 (because that is the only one I have). No difference.

I feel like I'm back at the beginning of trying to get the hang of printing high opacity waterbase

The area in question is the night sky, with a few stars and tree branches cutting across it. I could print the image on a navy shirt instead of black (and thus skip the cursed screen), and ad a black screen for the tree limbs, and the window frame through which one sees the sky. But I would rather print it as designed.

What am I missing? Why can't I print a stupid, more or less, solid block of ink 9" x 7"
Show the design

Sent from my A37f using Tapatalk

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 11, 2017 12:21:11 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

1st - Trying several different inks and getting the same result.

2nd - Closeup of nasty print. Extra nasty due to laying down an extra hit to see if it would fix it. Nope

3rd - Image on 20 x 24 screen for scale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001-1200.jpg (167.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0001-900.jpg (162.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003-900.jpg (89.0 KB, 35 views)

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 11, 2017 12:31:06 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Looks like that the ink is drying before it hits the garment. Could be wrong.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 11, 2017 1:39:06 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD King
Looks like that the ink is drying before it hits the garment. Could be wrong.
The only thing really different about this design and my other 70-some is the large area of mostly solid color. Cursed! 'Lil buddy this whole isla--er, design is cursed!

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 11, 2017 4:34:20 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Could the screen be low-tension?

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 11, 2017 4:57:57 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGiant
Could the screen be low-tension?
As noted in first post, I've already tried it on a high tension Shur-Loc to eliminate that possibility.

All I can figure is that a large solid print area requires a somewhat different print technique or setup than I use, with good results, on every other design.

Last edited by NoXid; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:03 PM..

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 11, 2017 8:03:26 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Print 2 strokes flash print, your stroke seems to lose pressure since that should not be a problem print.

Is it on cotton

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 11, 2017 8:05:47 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Underbase?

If not add some white ink to your color and print. With a underbase you will be good to go

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 11, 2017 11:00:21 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickPony
Underbase?

If not add some white ink to your color and print. With a underbase you will be good to go

It's SuperCover. Permaset's opaque waterbase, no underbase needed.

Like I said, same ink, same mesh, same squeegee has been printing fine for me for several years on other designs. Only this design has the problem.

Yes, 100% cotton. Same shirts work with all other designs.

If this thing made sense, I wouldn't being posting about the design being cursed

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 11, 2017 11:40:20 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I would still print a underbase maybe thin the ink down just to give a base for all that ink, since it looks like it is lifting when you lift the screen off the design, happened with me before I thinned the ink down hot a underbase and worked fine.

Weird

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 12, 2017 12:44:54 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickPony
I would still print a underbase maybe thin the ink down just to give a base for all that ink, since it looks like it is lifting when you lift the screen off the design, happened with me before I thinned the ink down hot a underbase and worked fine.

Weird

Yeah, I understand the thinking. But why does that same ink on the same shirts not behave this way on any other design I print?

Next time I mess with printing this, I'm going to try stupid sh*t until something makes a difference, be it better or worse
Worst comes to worst, I'll take it out to the cemetery and set fire to it at midnight.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 12, 2017 6:32:05 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Could the shirt be popping up from the platten? Not enough tac?

Do you use a push stroke? Maybe, using two strokes, without flooding between, with a focus on shearing the ink, might fix it.

ooh, or maybe this squeegee is good enough for simpler designs, but isn't sharp enough to sheer the ink for this larger design.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 12, 2017 12:40:08 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGiant
Could the shirt be popping up from the platten? Not enough tac?

Do you use a push stroke? Maybe, using two strokes, without flooding between, with a focus on shearing the ink, might fix it.

ooh, or maybe this squeegee is good enough for simpler designs, but isn't sharp enough to sheer the ink for this larger design.
All decent suggestions, but not the issue. Tac is great. I push. It prints wrong from the very first stroke, more strokes just make it worse. Lots of my designs are larger than this one and much more complex, just not as much solid color in one place.

I wouldn't have jumped to the idea of "cursed" if I hadn't already exhausted rational ideas
Next up, try stupid sh*t.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 12, 2017 12:44:31 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Eric
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Do you spray down the screen with retarder before you print? We've had good success mixing retarder and water 50/50 in a spray bottle, spraying the screen and waiting a few minutes, then wiping excess off. You can also add 1-3% retarder into your ink.

This is a discussion about My design is cursed that was posted in the Water Based Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.