[PLASTISOL TRANSFERS] - what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

[PLASTISOL TRANSFERS] - what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

Like Tree8Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 23rd, 2007 Feb 23, 2007 8:29:14 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 5,988 Times in 3,222 Posts

Lightbulb what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

What Are Plastisol Transfers

Plastisol Transfers are basically screen printed designs that are printed on a special heat transfer (release) paper instead of screen printing the design directly to a garment. Once the design is screen printed onto the paper, the printed heat transfer papers are shipped to you so you can put them on t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, etc with a heat press.

How Are Plastisol Transfers Made

Unlike inkjet transfers, plastisol transfers can't be printed at home with an inkjet printer, they must be printed by a professional screen printer that specializes in custom plastisol transfers. The minimums for screen printed transfers can be MUCH lower than a traditional screen printed shirt. I've seen minimums as low as 8 "sheets", however your costs will go down as your quantities purchased go up.

Can I Use My Own Designs with Plastisol Trasnfers

Plastisol transfers can either be stock designs (artwork provided by the transfer company) or custom (your own custom design that you provide).

What Color and Type of T-Shirts Can I Use with Plastisol Transfers

They can be used to decorate dark colored t-shirts or light colored garments, 100% cotton, 50/50, Nylon and other garment types.

What Type of Different Plastisol Transfers Are There?

Plastisol Transfers can be applied to a garment several different ways:

Cold Peel: Applied with a heat press and peeled off once the transfer is cooled. Usually has a glossy look.

Hot Peel: Applied with a heat press and peeled immediately after pressing, while the transfer is still hot. Usually has more of a matte look.

Hot Split: Applied with a heat press and peeled immediately after pressing, while the transfer it hot. Some of the ink transfers to the t-shirt and some of the ink stays on the transfer paper causing a "split". This is supposed to give the final design the softest hand with a matte finish.

What Type of Special Printing Methods Can Be Done with Plastisol Transfers

Several of the specialty printing techniques done by traditional screen printers can be done with custom plastisol transfers. This includes (but is not limited to): puff printing, glitter printing, foil printing, four color process screen printing, sparkle printing, etc.

What Is the Quality of Plastisol Transfers

Out of inkjet printed transfers, vinyl transfers, laser printed transfers and opaque transfers, plastisol transfers have the highest print quality and best durability of them all.

Where Can I Get Custom Plastisol Transfers Made

There are many companies that can custom screen print plastisol transfers for you. You can find a list of several of these custom transfer companies posted in the first post of this past forum discussion.

Here's another list: Custom Plastisol Transfer Vendors, a list

What if I REALLY Want to Make My Own Plastisol Transfers:

You can't make plastisol transfers at home with your inkjet/laser printer. You would need to buy screen printing equipment (like the same equipment screen printers use to print directly to t-shirts).

If you already have screen printing equipment, this should help:

This article should help: Printing Plastisol Transfers

And this one: International Coatings -- Transfer Products (Screen Printing Products)

Here's an instructional DVD: U.S. Screen Print & Inkjet Technology | Making Plastisol Transfers

Here's another article: U.S. Screen Print & Inkjet Technology | Making Plastisol Heat Transfers

Do You Have Any Pictures of What Plastisol Transfers Might Look Like?

Funny you should ask. I just so happen to have a few before and after pictures right over here. Keep in mind that these photos were taken by a heat press newbie (yours truly), so they make not be perfectly done

Did I miss anything? Stay tuned for my the test results of my first plastisol transfer samples from various companies:
a review of 8 different custom plastisol transfer screen printers - samples followup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRW_1873.jpg (128.0 KB, 3382 views)
File Type: jpg CRW_1878.jpg (164.3 KB, 3756 views)
File Type: jpg CRW_1926.jpg (127.3 KB, 2628 views)
File Type: jpg CRW_1936.jpg (156.6 KB, 3692 views)
File Type: jpg CRW_2016.jpg (156.3 KB, 2225 views)
File Type: jpg CRW_2019.jpg (130.1 KB, 2948 views)

Last edited by Rodney; September 28th, 2010 at 06:43 AM..

The Following 71 Users Say Thank You to Rodney For This Useful Post:
1tshirtman (June 29th, 2014), 3kings (June 8th, 2011), AgabbyWon (March 5th, 2010), akvalencia (March 16th, 2013), alltherightkinds (February 2nd, 2015), Amaa301 (October 7th, 2010), baaybgyrl (April 22nd, 2016), barcelona10 (April 27th, 2011), bigluelok (June 9th, 2010), bnotman (September 19th, 2012), boojubu (August 31st, 2014), bornyesterday (October 18th, 2011), bossanova (January 20th, 2012), BoydRiver (June 5th, 2013), cheffor (December 4th, 2014), coco48 (April 8th, 2012), comshaft (April 28th, 2012), danny95133 (October 3rd, 2012), Dapico33 (June 30th, 2013), darenong (December 26th, 2008), Digexart (4 Weeks Ago), DJ_Constable (August 19th, 2009), Doro (October 23rd, 2013), doskalata (April 12th, 2011), fattulip (October 21st, 2008), fsswright3 (September 27th, 2011), Girlzndollz (April 28th, 2011), InaomiF (July 29th, 2014), janaekim (November 6th, 2012), Jason's_Place (November 25th, 2009), jespana (June 15th, 2008), jleampark (September 21st, 2009), jtgarcia01 (February 24th, 2017), JustBob (May 3rd, 2011), kang (October 27th, 2012), likecyan (March 9th, 2009), Luka (June 3rd, 2012), LuvAmericanStyle (September 20th, 2010), medmarketing (May 8th, 2012), Mikiafu (February 4th, 2010), milleniachyld (April 26th, 2011), millian (August 2nd, 2011), MrRudeDog (October 28th, 2010), mrsgege (July 23rd, 2009), MySacNightLife (June 18th, 2014), N8stlkr (January 5th, 2010), NBANUPE (August 22nd, 2012), njolakoski (November 12th, 2013), Paul05464 (March 3rd, 2013), PhreshcoClothing (October 15th, 2012), Prinsz (February 3rd, 2009), ReggieTees (April 27th, 2011), royster13 (March 24th, 2012), Rudolph (April 27th, 2011), scotbaz (March 31st, 2015), ScottEvil (May 25th, 2015), Sharra (March 15th, 2010), siriustrendz (September 27th, 2011), Smart Tshirt (October 3rd, 2012), sparkyfirepants (January 28th, 2013), springleap (September 13th, 2008), Srag (December 6th, 2009), ThkUVryMuch (January 19th, 2012), ThorsFoundry (March 22nd, 2009), titoMitho (April 29th, 2016), TruckDUP (February 14th, 2011), TUANISAPPAREL (February 26th, 2013), Vegasguy702 (May 30th, 2012), Vetta1 (October 16th, 2011), warco (April 2nd, 2011), WholesalePrint (June 9th, 2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2007 Feb 23, 2007 8:50:22 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: James
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

Hey Rodney, just for the sake of being picky, how do you define quality and durability when comparing plastisol and vinyl transfer? I know I'm bias because I deal with vinyl transfer a lot.

Old February 23rd, 2007 Feb 23, 2007 8:56:29 PM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jasonda

Default Re: what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec44
Hey Rodney, just for the sake of being picky, how do you define quality and durability when comparing plastisol and vinyl transfer?
I was thinking the same thing. It would be nice to see some wash tests to see if plastisol really is better than vinyl.

Old February 23rd, 2007 Feb 23, 2007 8:59:00 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
Hot Split: Applied with a heat press and peeled immediately after pressing, while the transfer it hot. Some of the ink transfers to the t-shirt and some of the ink stays on the transfer paper causing a "split".
Why would that be a positive thing? I keep seeing that term, and I sit here thinking, "sounds nifty," but I don't understand the reason behind it. Does it leave some other type of desirable finish, other than matte or glossy? BTW, thanks for defining it for me.

I intend to only market my shirts online - no brick and mortar for me - so plastisol transfers really seem to be the way to produce a quality product for the print-on-demand operation I'm setting up. Better to have inexpensive transfers waiting to be pressed on any size shirt than to have paid for a ton of screened tees that aren't flying out the door.

Old February 24th, 2007 Feb 24, 2007 6:21:24 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney

Unlike inkjet transfers, plastisol transfers can't be printed at home with an inkjet printer, they must be printed by a professional screen printer that specializes in custom plastisol transfers....
Hi,

Do you know what is the printer's brand ? Is it Epson?

Old February 24th, 2007 Feb 24, 2007 6:37:48 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onurulas
As Rodney explained they're not printed on an inkjet printer, they're screen printed.

Old February 24th, 2007 Feb 24, 2007 7:59:52 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
It is done by professional screen printing equipment, not an inkjet or laser printer. But buy an actual silk screen printing press (not to be confused with a heat press).

Old February 24th, 2007 Feb 24, 2007 8:07:37 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec44
Hey Rodney, just for the sake of being picky, how do you define quality and durability when comparing plastisol and vinyl transfer? I know I'm bias because I deal with vinyl transfer a lot.
Good question Everyone is going to have their preferences, but my definition of quality would inlcude the initial appearance after the transfer, the appearance after the first wash, the feeling of the design when you run your hand over it, the feeling of the shirt when you have different sized designs printed, the versatility, etc..

Don't get me wrong, I think for some designs, vinyl will run a very close second (or even a tie), but I think overall, plastisol transfers offer a better end product.

Old February 24th, 2007 Feb 24, 2007 9:12:45 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Why would that be a positive thing? I keep seeing that term, and I sit here thinking, "sounds nifty," but I don't understand the reason behind it. Does it leave some other type of desirable finish, other than matte or glossy? BTW, thanks for defining it for me.
I forgot to put the "benefit" for the hot split above. It's supposed to give the finished design a soft feel/hand since not all of the ink is required to go on the shirt. It's also supposed to give a matte finish. Depends on your preferences.

Old March 5th, 2007 Mar 5, 2007 8:59:50 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Shaun

What about heavily detailed photo's? Does this process do well with that sort of thing? Seams those samples you show are very simple and 1-2 colors. My designs often have lots of details and color like a photograph. I'd like to retain the quality and print on dark shirts.

Old March 6th, 2007 Mar 6, 2007 4:48:09 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

How long of a turn-around time do we need to allow for the commercial printer to give us our transfers if we order say....1,000. How much do they cost to get printed. That probably depends on number of colors, so say...3 - 4 colors.

Old March 6th, 2007 Mar 6, 2007 5:35:23 PM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEatMaKeR
What about heavily detailed photo's? Does this process do well with that sort of thing? Seams those samples you show are very simple and 1-2 colors. My designs often have lots of details and color like a photograph. I'd like to retain the quality and print on dark shirts.
yes, it can be and is done a lot.
not cheap.

Old March 6th, 2007 Mar 6, 2007 5:39:20 PM -   #13 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoveltyStuff
How long of a turn-around time do we need to allow for the commercial printer to give us our transfers if we order say....1,000. How much do they cost to get printed. That probably depends on number of colors, so say...3 - 4 colors.

with Jumbo Size sheets 25x38 or 28x40, standard turn around is 5-8 days. 1000 sheets is done in one day.

when your art dep. provides ready for screens art, it's quick.
When there are art issues ...well.

Old March 7th, 2007 Mar 7, 2007 2:12:57 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

yay finally i understand

Old March 7th, 2007 Mar 7, 2007 6:31:14 AM -   #15 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
What Type of Different Plastisol Transfers Are There?

Plastisol Transfers can be applied to a garment several different ways:

Cold Peel: Applied with a heat press and peeled off once the transfer is cooled. Usually has a glossy look.

Hot Peel: Applied with a heat press and peeled immediately after pressing, while the transfer is still hot. Usually has more of a matte look.

Hot Split: Applied with a heat press and peeled immediately after pressing, while the transfer it hot. Some of the ink transfers to the t-shirt and some of the ink stays on the transfer paper causing a "split". This is supposed to give the final design the softest hand with a matte finish.

Curious, are the transfers you tested and displayed photos for above...are they ALL Plastisol Transfers ?

The Following User Says Thank You to T-BOT For This Useful Post:
efo05 (December 8th, 2010)

This is a discussion about what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.