User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

Table system of screen printing??

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 24th, 2006 Nov 24, 2006 1:52:29 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Rizzo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Table system of screen printing??

Hiee,

is anybody familiar with the table system of printing panels ins screen printing. this is usually done before making t-shirts. the panels are printed and then put together. I am a maufacturer of T-shirts too. I need to know if there are anybody who is using this method for bulk printing. pls give your sugessions on building a table system for bulk. this is the cheapest method of printing I heard and not limited to the amount of prints as the 6/8/10 head presses. can lay alot of panels on the table (limited to the size of the table). I need help on the technical aspects of buiding one.

Rizzo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2006 Nov 24, 2006 2:07:09 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default Re: Table system of screen printing??

I haven't built my own, but there doesn't seem to be a lot to it.

A table wide and long enough to accomodate the fabric you will be printing, at a comfortable printing height, a firm but padded surface [that's the unknown I've been meaning to find out about myself actually], a guide rail, adjustable stops for said guide rail... that's about it really.

If you were setting it up for an automatic I imagine it would be pretty damn complex, but for manual printing there's not much to it (unless I'm just not paying enough attention and taking the equipment for granted ).

Old November 24th, 2006 Nov 24, 2006 2:14:09 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

There surely must be a reason for padding the table top (Firm) unlike the presses where the base is wooden or not paded. the secret is the railing system...... that I am not quite sure of achieving for registration yet. and if there are any sites just fill me in pls. I already make a table that would accomodate 24 panels......need to confirm on the other aspects.

Old November 24th, 2006 Nov 24, 2006 2:31:13 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo
There surely must be a reason for padding the table top (Firm) unlike the presses where the base is wooden or not paded.
I know one reason is so that you can staple down the fabric.

It's one of those things I've been wanting to know more about too though (I just haven't bothered pursueing it because I don't have the space to set one up anyway).

Quote:
the secret is the railing system...... that I am not quite sure of achieving for registration yet.
The system I've used just has a simple wall you butt the screen up against, and small clamps you can screw down wherever you want on the rail to indicate where to line your screen up to (i.e. it's all manual). Kind of hard to explain unfortunately.

Quote:
and if there are any sites just fill me in pls.
Unfortunately I don't know of any. Hopefully someone will.

Old November 26th, 2006 Nov 26, 2006 8:07:53 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Question Re: Table system of screen printing??

Any new suggesions on this table system..........???

Old November 28th, 2006 Nov 28, 2006 7:36:59 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

its true that the table system is not used so much around I guess. being a manufaturer it will be very helpful.........but I guess I will have to do with trial and error huh?

Old December 7th, 2006 Dec 7, 2006 6:33:15 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Man
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

i've seen a crude version of this being employed locally. a combination of what all of you have described. from what i can vaguely remember - the head of the table has a long 2 X 4, they used nails on this board and the top of the screen frames for registration. my guess would be the nails go the board first, then register the frames and nailed it. so the board will have a nail going straight up or vertical while the frames have their nail flat or horizontal. each frame has 2 nails. then a worker will print the first color with the first frame, moving along the panels while the second worker lays down the second color and so forth. i didn't stick around to see the rest of the process.

the fabric has been pre-cut and goes to each panel. they will then dried and sent to the sewing dept. crude, but they got the job done.

Old January 25th, 2007 Jan 25, 2007 11:21:25 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Wink Re: Table system of screen printing??

Hello everybody! I am a screen printing enthusiast of the flat fabric on table variety and happened upon your query and would just like to share the following info:
At my former college they have the type of printing tables that I think you are discussing.Our tables were older models but they were covered with old school neoprene like the kind scuba people used to wear I do not know if new neoprene would work but if you have ever seen an old scuba suit they get very glossy over time. Neoprene works well because it keeps the moisture off, I believe it is impermeable to some chemicals-we used burn out paste- and it can be scrubbed with a soapy foam/net mophead and squeegeed dry-which is what we used to clean the tables afterwards.They dry super quick. The neoprene was wrapped around the edge of the tables and staples and fabric twill tape were placed over that edge for reinforcement-think of stretching a paint canvas.
As for the metal railings, those can get tricky, since long printing tables are really hard to find, if I had to make my own printing table, what I would do is create and wrap some sort coping around lengthy piece of wood and run it down the length of the table about 3-5" away from the edges. Stops are hard to find but some sort of blocks that could wrap around the coping length of wood would work we had metal ones, but they were just screwed tight to the top of the rails with a hexgon bolt and screw-it helps if they can slide easily when movingi rather than taking on & off. The stops are just tightened along the rail in increments that coincide with the edge to edge repeat of the design-however the screens need to have an L-bracket fastened to the back side topedge in the middle of the screen -the long top edge of the L-bracket is placed during printing on one side of the stops going down the length of the railing, so you do one color pass every other stop-let that dry than go back to the beginning and do the ones inbetween u skipped etcetc. The tricky part is really determining how far the railing is from the table because the top edge of the screen's frame will be firmly butted against the railing and the fabric when it is placed down needs to be close to the edge of the screens design for maximum coverage of the fabric and so you either design the railing to coincide with the space of the gutters on your silkscreens, or when you are shooting your screens bear in mind that the design needs to be a certain distance away from where the edge of your screens will be resting against the railings.
Now,with that said these tables were 54" wide which normally accomodates the large automatic squeegee flat bed screen method, if you are being totally old school and are doing tandem squeegee passes with a partner across the width and then down the length of the table you should really consider the appropriate height that will allow enough force to be put downwards on the table across such a wide spanand to allow for comfortable ergonomics ---If I remember correctly the top of the table was a comfortable 32-35" high.
Dig It?
I am such a screenprinting geek I frighten myself!LOL
Hope this will help, if you really want picures i can go there and take a picture of the set up.
giokalmi likes this.

Old January 26th, 2007 Jan 26, 2007 2:34:36 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 5,988 Times in 3,222 Posts

Hey Mrs Roper, welcome to the T-Shirt Forums!

Thanks for the great post

Old January 26th, 2007 Jan 26, 2007 4:10:51 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brent

How much would one of us have to beg to get pictures of this set up? just let me know and I will get started!!!!

Old January 27th, 2007 Jan 27, 2007 10:12:33 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hello everybody,
I will be going to school this week so I will try to get pictures of the setup and see how they turn out and then I will attempt to post them.
DIg?
mrs Roper

Old January 29th, 2007 Jan 29, 2007 12:56:36 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Smile Re: Table system of screen printing??

Hi Mrs. Roper,

Thank you so much for all that detailed explanation. It would greatly assist if you could get us some pictures. Specially some close-ups of those railings and stoppers and how the screen is placed, and the table top.

Its been a while since I posted this thread, but it surely is great to get some sort of helpful hints after this while.

Kind regards,
Rizzo

Old January 31st, 2007 Jan 31, 2007 8:09:02 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Hello,

Im not sure what you guys are talking about exactly, but here is a link of someones home built screen printing table (i call it that cause its just a table with some hinge clamps on it) No Media Kings » How to Silkscreen Posters and Shirts. Is this what you guys are talking about but in multi-color form? I have been thinking about a way to get 4 colors on a table using a rail system like what i think is being discussed here. Any tips or anyone wanna get together and try to think of a inexpensive way to do it?

Old January 31st, 2007 Jan 31, 2007 8:36:01 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by f to the soong
Is this what you guys are talking about but in multi-color form?
Nope. We're talking about (long) tables used for printing fabric lengths and bulk panels.

Old April 2nd, 2007 Apr 2, 2007 7:46:51 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

To be honest I can't see this being all that useful, but people wanted pictures of rail systems and it might help sate curiosity.

Photo 1: Registration stop
Photo 2: Rail, outside view
Photo 3: Rail, inside view
Photo 4: Rail, top view

As I said above, there's not much to it. You just need something to butt your screen against really. You don't even need registration stops if you're not using guides on the screens, you can just use tape (although it would be preferable to use stops and a bracket on the screen to catch on them).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIMG0667.jpg (164.2 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg RIMG0668.jpg (162.6 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg RIMG0669.jpg (139.9 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg RIMG0679.jpg (151.0 KB, 330 views)

This is a discussion about Table system of screen printing?? that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.