User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

DIY LED Exposure unit and hat platen

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 26th, 2017 Jan 26, 2017 1:09:38 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Matt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default DIY LED Exposure unit and hat platen

I recently built a few pieces of equipment that I thought you all would like to take a look at:

DIY LED Exposure unit Part 1/4

Hat platen

The LED exposure unit burns 305 mesh (for vinyl stickers) with the new CCI LXP emulsion in 180 seconds with a solid 7 on the Stouffer scale. I was using Cryocoat and got burn times under 30 seconds but had drying issues with it. I've since purchased a small dehumidifier so I'll have to try it out again when I get a chance. One thing to note with the exposure unit is I'm using a space saver vacuum bag to get perfect positive contact and forgot to add that in my posts.

The hat platen is ideal for single color prints and makes them as easy to print as koozies. The router templates for the parts were laser cut (in house) for precision but really you can rough cut it and it would work just as well. I've been printing with water based inks with a low cure catalyst and haven't had any issues besides the occasional misprint here and there. The base I designed for this platen can be used to make other shaped platens and, I just found out, actually has for running 6 sleeves on press at once.

My next equipment project is modifying a cheap 4 color 1 station press to have 4 stations and am pulling my design inspiration from the lower plate of the Antec Legend. If you look at some photos of them it's dead simple and the most difficult part will be making registration gates.

Any questions let me know and I can try to answer them! I like to keep all of my printing projects open and help as much as I can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2017 Jan 27, 2017 7:15:41 PM -   #2 (permalink)
JJZ
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: John

Default Re: DIY LED Exposure unit and hat platen

How detailed are the images you are able to burn with this unit?

Old January 28th, 2017 Jan 28, 2017 5:14:48 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Matt

Default Re: DIY LED Exposure unit and hat platen

I regularly burn 55LPI on 305 mesh for 3"-4" stickers. Now that it's dialed in time wise I think I could up the LPI to maybe 65 but I have no need to with them being so small.

This is a discussion about DIY LED Exposure unit and hat platen that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.