User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers
Discuss the different brands, makes and models of printers used to print inkjet and laser heat transfers. Also includes information on the inks that can be used to make your own transfers.

Best budget printer for heat transfer 2016

Like Tree12Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago Mar 15, 2017 8:45:56 AM -   #31 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,085 Times in 926 Posts

Default Re: Best budget printer for heat transfer 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1ght
They have a xerox (probably a $50k machine with ever bell and whistle one could ever imagine)

... but used lease returns that are rebuilt can be had for a reasonable lease payment... and if it were me I'd shy away from Xerox as they are overpriced for bells and whistles that in this industry we don't need (and honestly, I don't they do as good of repeatability vs others manufactures that are less expensive eg compact konica/minoltas...

I have seen used color copiers sold off for $350 with new toner and drum (or low numbers on each)... yes they are a rare find but they can be had... Have I bought one, no simply because I have an agreement that runs thru 2018 for all my color copy/printing/cutting needs
With a $200 machine and JPSS paper I can make white tshirts that after the first wash:

1. No hand, nada zero feeling none.
2. No background "box" no need to trim, although not sold as "weedfree" it is effectively just that.

If I sell on occasional light color t-shirt (non white) then I use Image clip printed on my OKI. Since the light colors of the tshirt will blend with the laser (or copier) toners and is not opaque there are limited opportunities with that. I prefer plastisol transfers for light colors if they are needed to be "weedfree" or I use simple cut vinyl.

On darks I use Jet Opaque II. I find it doesn't crack and the colors are bright and permanent. It requires cutting unlike JPSS, but like all opaques it has some hand. I cut it with a vinyl cutter.

If one is to find a copier for only $350 bucks the first time it would need service it would most likely exceed what you could pay for a brand new inkjet. My money says you just got suckered into a huge money pit buying a used copy machine. The papers used on copiers are more or less laser papers.

Buying a new copier, leasing it, or buying a cheap one is irrational. The industry moved away from copiers in the 90's for custom t-shirt transfers.

I'm sure that since you can buy 3 white DTG machines for the price of one $50K copier or lease a white DTG cheaper, then that would be the reason you don't see much chatter on any imprinting site or much heat transfer vendor advertisements about such copiers. For those that chose toner based transfers they moved on from copiers once color laser printers became affordable.
HouseCo likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago Mar 15, 2017 3:45:35 PM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: br1ght
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNA
I'm in much the same situation, but maybe with a bigger budget. I was lamenting the lack of affordable A3 White Toner Oki printers in Australia (all hover around $20k AUD), but noticed recently the range of Uninet iColor laser/led printers. The 500 seems to be an A4 with white printer, and the 600 model does A3 with White and Black, but at a great price. Has anyone used Uninet printers, and are the internals compatible with the Oki range of printers? They seem to be just rebadged Oki's.
I could ship you one for 1/3 of the quid... you could have C920WT which does 12" wide (to 47" long if so inclined) for under $11K AU$ with shipping... I don't have a clue about your import tariffs--perhaps that's where 1/2 the price is coming from?!?

Old 5 Days Ago Mar 20, 2017 8:50:15 AM -   #33 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: AT

I do inkjet transfers but have plenty of full color shirts made on a Canon full sized toner color copier that are over 15 years old, well worn, super soft and no cracking - look like nice old comfy screen prints. My sister did these with her print shop and after they got the hang of it, did over 13,000 shirts with that machine with no problems. Used the service contract for care and supplies and made out very profitably.
If I could put one in my house and use that for transfer printing I'd do it in a heart beat!

That being said, I'm looking at Epson printers with a pigment ink CIS for one off shirts and want to thank everyone for all of the helpful information on this thread.

Old 5 Days Ago Mar 20, 2017 8:54:15 AM -   #34 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

On the OKI printers, I've been comparing the cost vs quality with ink jet transfers. I called Coastal but the sales rep said the color laser prints crack easily - do you find that to be true?

Old 5 Days Ago Mar 20, 2017 8:59:34 AM -   #35 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseCo
I do inkjet transfers but have plenty of full color shirts made on a Canon full sized toner color copier that are over 15 years old, well worn, super soft and no cracking - look like nice old comfy screen prints. My sister did these with her print shop and after they got the hang of it, did over 13,000 shirts with that machine with no problems. Used the service contract for care and supplies and made out very profitably.
If I could put one in my house and use that for transfer printing I'd do it in a heart beat!

That being said, I'm looking at Epson printers with a pigment ink CIS for one off shirts and want to thank everyone for all of the helpful information on this thread.

$$$$$$$ for that copier

and results are at least the same or better with a sub $200 inkjet printer.

= an irrational investment. It was good in it's day when it was all there was. In 2017 you will be hard pressed to see anyone using these.
HouseCo likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgparrish For This Useful Post:
HouseCo (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago Mar 20, 2017 9:10:27 AM -   #36 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseCo
On the OKI printers, I've been comparing the cost vs quality with ink jet transfers. I called Coastal but the sales rep said the color laser prints crack easily - do you find that to be true?
Some laser transfers will crack, but not all.

I used some from "One-Step" that didn't crack in an OKI I have. But what I find with that was it would fade a lot after the initial wash, not so much afterwards with subsequent washes, but the initial wash really too much color loss.

Using JPSS and pigment inks you will make a permanent t-shirt, that after the first wash will lose any hand it had initially and if on a white garment the "box" effect of the clear polymer virtually doesn't show. I have t-shirts that are many years old and washed over 50 times.

Lasers are advantageous in that they don't need as much maintenance (no clogging banding etc) and print faster if you are doing many of the same design at once.

Also, a tabloid size laser which is really needed for larger t-shirts is about $1500 +

A 13x19 inkjet is under $200.

OEM toner and inks are going to cost about the same. About a buck for a letter size on inkjet and about the same on an OKI since to get the transfer to pop to need to use the "toner saver" feature set to "off" to get the best looking transfer, so it's about double the toner.

For 3rd party pigment inks vs. the 3rd party laser toners ink jet is much cheaper.

Laser has more specialty papers for heat transfer than available for inkjet.
HouseCo likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgparrish For This Useful Post:
HouseCo (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago Mar 20, 2017 1:53:21 PM -   #37 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You bring up some great points that reinforce my thoughts about going back to ink jet transfers instead of trying laser or dyes. Thanks.

This is a discussion about Best budget printer for heat transfer 2016 that was posted in the Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.